Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-12-07 00:07:21

davej
Website

[issue] Textpattern clean URLs incompatible with WebDAV

I can not find a way to use clean URLs while at the same time have a working WebDAV directory.

There is a workaround for text drive users, but this workaround does not work for all other hosts, namely Dreamhost.

#2 2005-12-07 02:27:51

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: [issue] Textpattern clean URLs incompatible with WebDAV

We’ve asked for help with this and similar problems. We’ve already done all we can; a real solution requires someone familiar with the range of Apache and mod_rewrite configurations used on virtual hosting servers.

Till then, the solution is: use Textdrive.

Alex

#3 2005-12-07 11:06:19

davej
Website

> zem wrote:

> We’ve asked for help with this and similar problems. We’ve already done all we can; a real solution requires someone familiar with the range of Apache and mod_rewrite configurations used on virtual hosting servers.

>Till then, the solution is: use Textdrive.

Unfortunately it’s not easy for me to just move ship ship to textdrive. Has anybody had any luck getting clean URLs and WebDAV running on the same dreamhost account?

These are 2 services that I need. If they are mutually exclusive then I will need to drop Clean URLs, which means a whole lot of restructuring.

#4 2005-12-07 13:28:16

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Until a proper solution is found, you might want to use this for clean-urls:

http://textpattern.com/weblog/135/partly-messy-clean-urls-without-modrewrite-experimental

Or you can try my suggestion here:
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=87770#p87770

#5 2006-12-15 05:56:12

jagorny
Website

My answer was to create a mod_rewrite conditional that disallows WebDAV folders from being intercepted by textpattern… it is similar to what was done with the awstats problem but for some reason eliminating the trailing / was the better option. For what it’s worth it is working on my dreamhost account.

observe I have phpicalview running on my domain:

www.gornystudios.com/ical/

of course I will get into trouble if I ever create a section called ical or mycals – so I won’t.

my webdav calendars are all stored elsewhere – in /mycals.

Here is an example of my mod_rewrite additions with the negated directory masks…

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/mycals.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/ical.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]
RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php
</IfModule>

This has worked fine for me using Calimanjaro to publish calendars, etc. FWIW.

What this has NOT worked for as of yet is liberating SVN directories… using TortoiseSVN I run into issues because textpattern has the happy little custom 404 page it spits out consistently when there is nothing else there. That page confuses SVN and so I get the PROPFIND error followed by the 200 OK – which tends to point to custom 404 page serving problems. Unlike iCal which submits authorization credentials without checking for page status, SVN looks before it leaps asking authorization questions afterwards. If all it gets is a 404 then I guess it turns around and goes home? Not sure what exactly is going on in this process.

If anyone knows a way of getting out of THAT mess – i.e. exclude an ‘empty’ directory from textpattern’s 404 clutches…. I would be forever grateful.

Board footer