You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-10-29 05:27:11

maniqui
Website

"Promote to frontpage" an article from a section "not-in-frontpage"

<h4>Feature requested</h4>

Promote article to frontpage

Example:

Suppose I have in the default page template a simple <code><txp:article /></code> that outputs articles from all sections that are configured to show “in frontpage”.

Then, I write a cool article that belongs to a section that is configured as “not in frontpage”.
I say myself:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;“Hey, this is a cool article so I would like to include it in my frontpage article list!”

So, I want that cool article to be listed in the fronpage but it must be listed inside the regular flow of the article list outputed by <code><txp:article /></code>.
Of course, <code><txp:article /></code> (when in default page) outputs only articles from all sections that are configured to show “in frontpage”.

So, what I want is to tell to <code><txp:article /></code>:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;“Make the article list with the regular articles (from all “in frontpage” sections) and also include my cool article (from a “not-in-frontpage” section) in the regular flow of the article list”

How could this be implemented?

This could be one way: <ol> <li>you write an article</li> <li>you select the section wich the article belongs to</li> <li>you save your article</li> <li>after article is saved: <ul> <li>automatically returns to that article write tab (well, that is normal behaviour)</li> <li>if article is saved in a section “not-in-frontpage”, then show a checkbox to “Promote this article to frontpage”.<br />Therefore, this article will be automaticaly added to the list flow outputted by <code><txp:article /></code> in default page template</li> <li>if article is saved in a section “in-frontpage”, do not show nothing</li> </ul> </li> </ol>

I think that’s all. Thanks!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2005-10-29 09:24:39

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: "Promote to frontpage" an article from a section "not-in-frontpage"

Tht sounds like a cool request. If i can take it a step further, maybe articles could appear in the front page on a per article basis as opposed to a per section basis. (a bit like how textile is now working in the later svns)

Last edited by colak (2005-10-29 09:25:12)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2005-10-31 23:29:44

maniqui
Website

<blockquote>* if article is saved in a section “in-frontpage”, do not show nothing</blockquote>

Maybe, it can also be:

• if article is saved in a section “in-frontpage”, show checkbox Do not promote to front-page.

So, this way, you have total control over the articles you want to display or not in the front page. But also, you are safeguarded by the configuration for each section in “Presentation -> Sections”, so you dont have to worry about forgetting to promote/not-promote an article to frontpage.
By default, articles that belong to “in-frontpage” sections will be displayed in frontpage, and those “not-in-frontpage” will not be displayed in frontpage. But after saving, you will have the suggested options to promote/remove them from the flow of txp:article.

Maybe, you have an article that you have to publish in a section “in frontpage”, but you dont want to promote it to the frontpage.
One reason for this can be: this new article isnt so important (so cool) to take the place of an article that it is already displayed in the frontpage.
Or more simple: you dont want to display that new article in the frontpage. That’s all.

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-31 23:34:53)

#4 2005-11-08 02:56:48

maniqui
Website

A little bump!

I just want to add a more “real” example for this feature request.

Suppose you have a photolog section in your TXP powered site. You usually post a picture daily in that section, but you have set it as “not-in-frontpage” because you dont want to promote all your daily photo-posts to the frontpage.

But someday, you post a really nice picture as an article in your photolog section, and you want to promote that photo-article to the frontpage.

So, you check the checkbox/radiobutton/whatever that says “promote to front-page” and your photo-article from a “not-in-frontpage” section is displayed in the flow of your site’s frontpage.

Board footer