Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-10-27 22:54:26

maniqui
Website

Re: suggestion: new "Built-in TXP tags" forum category

>I don’t understand, why would you lock the thread?

I expressed myself wrong in that sentence.

I wanted to say: “if user cannot post new threads”, that is the original idea of this forum category.
Only one thread per built-in tag but not locked. Users can post in threads.

>Stickied posts aren’t sortable in the version of punBB the forum uses.

The idea to have the sticky post sorted alphabeticaly is just for improve searcheability (mmm, does that word exist?).
It’s not a requisite to the idea of a forum related to txp tags. I was just suggesting.
But if we want them alphabetically sorted, it’s as “simple” as create each sticky post in alphabetical reverse order.
Of course, new added topics (=new added txp tags) would break this order.

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-27 22:55:24)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2005-10-27 23:09:35

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

> “Only one thread per built-in tag but not locked.”

Ah, okay, gotcha.

#15 2005-10-27 23:17:06

zem
Developer Emeritus

What about a more general forum for documentation? Something that covers more than just tags. Somewhere for people to post their discoveries, example code snippets, screenshots, step-by-steps, and so on. I suspect more documentation would get written if it was easier for people to contribute small pieces, rather than feeling that they have to write an entire chapter.

It wouldn’t exclude the thread-per-tag idea.

Instead of sticky posts, when a thread contains enough information to be useful, someone can copy it over to Textbook. I’m sure Mary would be more than happy to create Wiki accounts for anyone willing to contribute.

Alex

#16 2005-10-27 23:43:02

rsilletti

Given something manageable that I could subscribe to, I’d be happy to review and transfer tag usage examples when time permits.

#17 2005-10-27 23:43:36

maniqui
Website

<blockquote>What about a more general forum for documentation? Something that covers more than just tags. Somewhere for people to post their discoveries, example code snippets, screenshots, step-by-steps, and so on.</blockquote>

Isnt this the purpose of actual “How do I…” forum?
A place where people post not only “how do I…?” question but also discoveries, tips, tricks, example code snippets, screenshots, step-by-step, etc.

If not, if Zem’s suggestion is about a more general forum…. won’t it become a new (and duplicate) “How do I…” forum?

I think about that when I was writting the first post of this thread. What else could be included in the threads?
But then I went back to the idea of a forum only about built-in txp tags.
The idea is to create some kind of “restricted (in the sense of topic scope)” forum.
Surely, it can also have one thread-per-tag, and also some few threads more, also related to built-in txp tags, like a thread to explain conditional tags, and the info posted there, when solid, can be moved to TextBook.

This is also a way to generate and discuss TextBook content before it is posted in the TextBook.

Right now, all the good examples, and ideas, and codes, and step-by-steps has been lost in various threads and forum categories.
I dont think someone will go thread by thread in the “How do I…” looking for good examples (and there are a lot of good examples, snippets, etc) to add them to the TextBook.

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-27 23:45:06)

#18 2005-10-27 23:59:54

zem
Developer Emeritus

If not, if Zem’s suggestion is about a more general forum…. won’t it become a new (and duplicate) “How do I…” forum?

“How do I?” is for questions requiring answers. “Documentation” would be for unsolicited answers. The moderators will make sure OT stuff gets forwarded back to HDI or Troubleshooting as appropriate.

Alex

#19 2005-10-28 00:17:56

maniqui
Website

>The moderators will make sure OT stuff gets forwarded back to HDI or Troubleshooting as appropriate.

I have no doubt that moderators will put OT in the appropiate forum.
But that will lead to more efforts in keeping the forum in topic.

If the decission would be mine, I would start with a restricted forum with limited threads about built-in txp tag (thread-per-tag) to easily keep threads on topic. The original “Built-in TXP tags” or simple “TXP tags” forum.

Then, it can easily grows to “Documentation” if it is necessary.
I think it will be easiest to grow a restricted forum (“TXP tags”) into a more general one (“Documentation”), than try to moderate and keep in topic the threads of a new general forum.

#20 2005-10-28 01:21:25

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I feel like Jean Luc: make it so. ;)

To start with, whom wants de powa (be a mod for that forum)? I need to know so I can ‘bless’ you. :) I should first ask Destry and Rick, would you guys like that or no (let me know via thread or email, doesn’t matter)? I’m feeling like we should have “wiki representation” about to help bridge the gaps. Would you like to be, then, maniqui?

#21 2005-10-28 01:28:55

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

And so it happens. Just a quick note having thouroughly enjoyed reading this thread – include new tags from SVN as they happen even though they may not be available in the current public download.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#22 2005-10-28 05:45:45

rsilletti

I’ve never moderated before, but I’d be willing to give it try.

#23 2005-10-28 06:18:53

maniqui
Website

zem wrote:
<blockquote>What about a more general forum for documentation? Something that covers more than just tags. Somewhere for people to post their discoveries, example code snippets, screenshots, step-by-steps, and so on. […]

[…] “Documentation” would be for unsolicited answers. […]
</blockquote>

I think “Documentation” already exists: it is the TextBook.

Having a “Documentation” forum and also having the Textbook maybe will lead to duplicated content and duplicated efforts, and will be difficult to maintain.
Of course, it depends on how a “Documentation” forum is implemented and what will be the scope of that forum.

Documentation should be something more solid (solid regarding to the content) and less ambiguos, and a Wiki like TextBook offers more solidity to the content than a forum (well, I think that).
In real world, documentation usually goes in solid books/cd-roms/pdfs, and well, we also have our book, our Text Book for that.

Maybe, a “Documentation” forum can exists as a closed forum, where only those users that are deeply involved in TXP and the TextBook can enter and share ideas and optimize the maintainance of the TextBook.

I’m not very sure about what I’m saying. :|
(and read that as an example of the lack of solidity in forums).
<small>(“please, stop this guy, what is he talking about, he is just a TXP enthusiast, not a software developer, not a information architect, he even doesnt study at the university”)</small>

#24 2005-10-28 06:46:14

maniqui
Website

This could be a possible “template” for the first post of each thread: <hr size=“1”/> <h2>Summary</h2> [A short summary about the tag] <ul> <li><a href=”“>tag page at TextBook</a></li> <li>since version: 1.2.3</li> <li>tag type: Single Tag</li> <li>tag context: page/form</li> <li>related info <ul> <li>link 1</li> <li>link 1</li> <li>link 3</li> </ul> </li> <li>suggested plug-ins that improve tag functionality <ul> <li>plug-in 1</li> <li>plug-in 2</li> <li>plug-in 3</li> </ul> </li> </ul>
<hr size=“1”/>

Yicks!
I have no-doubt that masters of TXP can easily improve or imagine a far better template that the one I’m suggesting.
I have tried to create the “template” based in the ideas I posted in the first post of this thread.
But i think it lacks of some information or maybe all the opposite: it has information that shouldnt be there.

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-28 16:29:23)

Board footer