Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-10-01 18:57:54

grassi3000

txp version supporting postgre in the near future?

Well, i like txp very much, but in my current situation i need to make a homepage using postgre.

I’m thinking about rewriting the mysql_ functions to postgre calls, but if there is a version of txp planned, that already supports postgre I’m going to wait.

So far there are about 250 calls to some mysql functions, where many are in the import stuff, and the others may be reduced to 3 types of calls, so it should not be very much work (I’m not a php pro, but I know how to write some functions in other languages, so maybe I’m wrong, am I?)

greets
g3k

PS: I hope I chose the right forum, as for this is not a real feature request, but I don’t know where else to put this thread.

Last edited by grassi3000 (2005-10-01 19:01:07)

#2 2005-10-01 20:07:08

davidm

Re: txp version supporting postgre in the near future?

I think you chose the right forum. I am in no way qualified to answer, but I have a question : How come you specifically need PostGreSQL ? Or, in other words, what is the advantage of PostGre over MySQL ? Is it so clear cut that it would require a whole rewrite of MySQL calls ? Last but not least, how realistic is it as far as maintenance is concerned ? Keep in mind txp is constantly evolving… and one last question : how does it affect plugins ?

.: Retired :.

#3 2005-10-01 21:58:51

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

Uh, it’s already happening. See http://dev.textpattern.com/browser/development/crockery and check the forum…I think zem posted something a while back outlining the status of Postgres support.

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#4 2005-10-01 22:47:07

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Yep it is on it’s way once they have any bugs squashed. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#5 2005-10-01 23:58:22

grassi3000

That’s good news, i think i will wait until there is the version out, with postgre (is there a way to download this crockery version at once, not file by file? maybe i could do some testing/debugging)

The reason for me chosing postgre is, that a friend of mine is hosting my pages, but he won’t use mysql, but postgre because “it’s a superior database” (and he uses it for his own stuff, so he won’t install a second db. (some years ago i happened to realize this too when i tried some postgre queries in mysql)

the reason why it requires a rewrite of the mysql calls is simply php. all mysql calls start with mysql_ and have a different handling with variables than the pg_ calls for postgre.

plugins that use mysql_ calls must be rewritten in this case too, i think.
Well, I’m a non php coder, I only did some research on this specially matter, so maybe what I’m saying is totally wrong stuff, that you should forget imediately, but maybe I’m right in most cases :D

#6 2005-10-02 00:18:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

is there a way to download this crockery version at once, not file by file?

subversion FAQ

Crockery is the development branch for the next version of Textpattern, so it will change plenty.

That’s good news, i think i will wait until there is the version out, with postgre

Continued Postgres support is not a certainty. The less help we get (code, testing, documentation), the less likely it is.

Alex

#7 2005-10-02 02:54:46

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Grassi3000, if that isn’t an invite to do some Beta testing I don’t know what is. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#8 2005-10-02 11:38:16

grassi3000

Well, I’m starting testing this stuff immediately … :D

#9 2005-10-26 05:16:08

mrmachine

i’m ready to test and maybe contribute code if i can, if needed. i’ve done a fair bit of work with php, postgresql, and mysql/postgresql abstraction in php. just tell me how to get it started. is there a simple guide e.g.

1. checkout/switch your working copy
2. run this sql to setup the db
3. migrate your content across from mysql

basically, is there any documentation on using textpattern with postgresql in it’s current beta state, or do i just have to checkout the bleeding edge textpattern and have at it?

#10 2005-10-27 10:43:32

grassi3000

Well, first and foremost I have to admit, that University fills up all my free time, so I don’t have time to work myself across the postgre code.
I tried out a bit, but due to lack of any mysql db I couldn’t set up a working db. (Postgre uses the string ‘UNICODE’ as identifier of the charset, whereas mysql ‘utf8’)
The current txp version is only looking for ‘utf8’ -> doesn’t find it and tries to use latin1 instead, which seems to be working, but actually all entries in the db are corrupt (it is funny, when the pw of all useres are stored in the db too, you can imagine).

More than the above I couldn’t test, and I hadn’t got time to write a working patch for this issue, but maybe someone finds those lines useful …

greets
g3k

#11 2005-10-27 11:10:42

zem
Developer Emeritus

The web-based setup doesn’t support postgres. clinstall.php does.

Alex

Board footer