Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-09-30 23:55:22

Neko

[request] comment curse words filter

Hi! Is there a plug-in that allows me to select a few words I don’t want to appear in comments and automatically replace them with asterisks or something?

Like: “OMG This site is a pile of ****** you guys are a bunch of **** *** ** ******** and eat ******** for breakfast”.

Thanks,

-Neko

Last edited by Neko (2005-09-30 23:58:00)

#2 2005-10-02 00:32:06

aba
Plugin Author

Re: [request] comment curse words filter

I doubt the usefulness of such a plugin.

Let’s take some examples:
ass: ambassador, massacar, assassin, assault, assembly
breast: abreast, breast-cancer, breastbone, redbreast
shit: mishit, shitake, Shittah-trees, Abel-shittim (the last two from the bible ;)
boobs: Haboobs (a sand storm)
sex: sexist, desex, sexism, transsexual, unisex, sextain

What to do with such (and apparently nowadays quite common – must be all these indecency filters) variations like a$$, f*ck and so on? Even only matching full words might fail (breast cancer are two words – ask compuserve, they tried to filter and got sued by a breast cancer awareness group).

You might rethink your approach because such a filter will probably more often fail than succeed and it might even piss of your regular visitors if they get blamed for foul language without the intent to do so.

#3 2005-10-02 01:24:47

zem
Developer Emeritus

You could easily write a plugin to do this on the output side – a few simple regexps.

Of course, as aba says, it’s both futile and fallible.

Last edited by zem (2005-10-02 01:34:45)

Alex

#4 2005-10-02 11:07:32

Neko

Well, who cares about english anyway? :) I wrote the example in english so you could understand, but I speak Italian and my site is written in Italian and, thanks God!, our language is a lot more inventive and developed than yours :D so we came out with pretty nifty bad words that don’t match normal words. So there.

Is there such a plug-in, because I haven’t found it on TXP.org.

And if I could write plug-ins I wouldn’t spend my time here posting stupid threads, instead I would be writing plug-ins like a mad. :)

Last edited by Neko (2005-10-02 11:15:09)

Board footer