Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-02-01 20:08:49

renobird
Website

Re: image upload from write tab (for end users)

Is this idea still alive?

Any solutions for uploading images from the “write” tab?
I’m developing a site right now that will have about 20 contributing writers.
I’m hoping to streamline the process for them as much as possible.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I’ve searched the forums at length, but still no real simple solutions.

#14 2007-02-01 20:55:15

masa

renobird wrote:

I’ve searched the forums at length, but still no real simple solutions.

Things got a whole lot better with ebl_batchupload
You still need to resort to the images tab, but you can upload a bunch of files, assign a category or even create one on-the-fly, resize images and generate thumbnails.

Still an upload function in the Write tab with alignement options similar to blogger would be an excellent addition.

Cheers Martin

#15 2007-02-01 21:19:07

squaredeye
Website

renobird,
masa,

I bet someone would build you all a plugin if you raised some cash? That seems to be the best way to see progress in many cases :)

#16 2007-02-01 21:31:03

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

Lo,

this is kind of hackish tip for ideas – but I used an *cough* iframe in article sidebar once. I attached it via DOM hook and loaded other pages there for info etc. I even made it load image tab for a test but it was horrible.. Then again it kind of “worked” but was a pain to use.

(seems like this problem arises when there’s more than 15 users… same goes with files – but file/image permissions bug me more..)

- When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water -

#17 2007-02-01 21:48:00

masa

ma_smith wrote:

I bet someone would build you all a plugin if you raised some cash? That seems to be the best way to see progress in many cases :)

I’ve only recently donated to txp and I’d be more than happy to ‘fuel’ development of said plugin. :-)
If anyone is interested, please, let me know.

Cheers Martin

#18 2007-02-01 22:05:32

squaredeye
Website

Martin,
Great to hear :)

I think Bastian (Bas) or Patrick (Hak) would be good candidates. You can start a Plugin Request in the plugins/plugin request forums. I’ll chip in for that one if it looks promising :)

Matthew

#19 2007-02-02 04:12:36

renobird
Website

Count me in. My contribution is long over due.
I’ll get back to this tomorrow. On hour 14 today…brain is toast.

#20 2007-02-02 14:48:30

hakjoon
Website

One thing that would be helpful in terms of developing something like this would be mockups or wireframes of what something like this could look like in the write tab.

Matthew and others did a great job pulling in samples from other systems over on Textbook but we still don’t have any real implementation ideas for TXP. Remember its more then just uploading the image file, you would need Category assignment, Description, Caption.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#21 2007-02-02 15:06:17

renobird
Website

Hakjoon,

Good call. I’ll try to work on some type of mockup.

I think the tricky part will be finding a way to incorporate it without over crowding the existing page. It’s not really a problem for me because I’m using “ied_hide_in_admin” to get the write tab down to the essentials. Sounds like it could be an issue for others though.

Tom

#22 2007-02-02 16:18:57

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

Are popups allowed or does this has to happen all in sidebar? CSS layers perhaps? Is only image browsing and uploading wanted?

IMHO it would be enough to upload (+cat +descprition) an image and browse by author, category, date..

- When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water -

#23 2007-02-02 16:28:42

renobird
Website

Hmm. Hadn’t thought of a pop-up. Maybe similar to upm_img_popper?

I would be nice to have it all function in the sidebar if possible…but could be troublesome for uploading large images (300px wide or greater).

#24 2007-02-02 17:04:54

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

(i have one idea i sketchd out last year but haven’t got time to think if it is even possible, i’ll try finding the jpg..)

Images of various sizes are of course a problem, but if you have a long category list it can take lot of space aswell.. Popup window might be the ‘most forgiving’ solution.

Board footer