Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-08-16 20:02:07

Destry
Website

Re: Joyent cancels lifetime hosting in October. New host recommendations?

Gio,

I would assume so. Their ploy is no doubt to get you on it, and comfortable, and liking it, and then when the year is up paying for it. ;)

But, I really have no idea what they’re offering. I’ve never really understood all their constantly-changing tech psychobabble they spout in their newsletters, etc. I think the whole thing stinks, frankly, since it was mostly (if not all) our “VC” purchases that made TextDrive possible to begin with, if I remember correctly (apparently correctly), and that was Dean’s strategy. If I have to pay now, I don’t want to be paying Hoffman. I’m not an app developer with heavy traffic or anything, which is really the people they care about.

Last edited by Destry (2012-08-16 20:28:38)

#14 2012-08-16 20:18:10

MsContrary
Website

Well, I am glad that I’m not alone. I never bothered to migrate, I was still on pendrell, which was out for a few days recently. I had a feeling then that my time of free hosting was coming to an end.

Not being very technical I will be following the discussion avidly, looking for a happy solution.

I am not a professional woman

#15 2012-08-16 20:34:24

Destry
Website

It’s even more heartening to follow the Joyent thread on this for the similar reactions by a lot more people. It’s funny, actually, to see names over there of people that used to be regular names in this forum… long since gone.

But, it sounds like they’ll be leaving Joyent too, and are asking people to join up here for hosting suggestions/leads and just keeping ties…

And apparently there’s discussion on G+.

#16 2012-08-16 20:54:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

springworks wrote:

What would be the benefit of going for the Cloud VPS over the Simple Hosting? It seems a more expensive option that doesn’t offer as much in terms of hosting capability (storage capacity and bandwidth allowance).

First is a virtual server, while the former is a shared web hosting account. So in terms of actual power and extensibility, the VPS will offer more. But, keep in mind it’s a virtual server, meaning you are the admin and you will install the software and keep care of it.

colak wrote:

In theory VPS is also safer (please somebody correct me if I’m wrong here)

Not in theory, it is.

#17 2012-08-16 21:47:10

Destry
Website

For low to mid requirements (your mileage will vary), competitive favorites seem to be:

Daft question: Can one just assume that options like these will allow virtual hosts? You know, we have our main account and can then add other websites underneath it? I don’t see much mention of this in the sites, so I’m guessing it’s just understood to be true?

#18 2012-08-16 22:36:50

Destry
Website

Good’n… TextDrive R.I.P., and Txp mention.

#19 2012-08-16 22:46:27

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote:

Daft question: Can one just assume that options like these will allow virtual hosts? You know, we have our main account and can then add other websites underneath it? I don’t see much mention of this in the sites, so I’m guessing it’s just understood to be true?

Those are (mainly) virtual server providers, as such yes. If you get VPS from any of those three you should be given root access to the server.

Out of the three Ocean Digital concentrates solely offering virtualized platforms, competing mainly with the likes as Linode. If you go that direction keep in mind those are unmanaged servers.

Gandi (now globally) and A Small Orange seem to offer shared hosting too. Which are always subject of limitations and potential changes. Don’t know what they actually allow on shared hosting side since I haven’t used their services. Both are potentially pretty cramped just like any other big world wide inexpensive hosting provider as far as mass-shared hosting goes.

#20 2012-08-17 00:07:51

maniqui
Website

Money, when it travels at a certain trajectory and speed, can make anyone into an asshole.

Dean Allen – http://www.textism.com/2008/04/04/alright

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#21 2012-08-17 00:53:37

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

I wonder if this is going to effect Textpattern’s domains at all.

Our hosting package is affected by this EOL announcement. I will provide more details as soon as I gather those.

#22 2012-08-17 01:27:42

Destry
Website

I don’t know whether to post here or there, which is somewhat related, but what about something like this…

Assuming Joyent says the project domains no longer get a free ride, and assuming current domain owners would be willing to transfer domains to the project’s care (under the circumstances), then what about setting up a reseller account—like one of these, for example—where the five project domains (.com, .net, .org, txg, mag) are housed, and:

a) annual patron drives are established to ensure domain name ownership and hosting is covered, or
b) remaining virtual domains are sold to other site owners interested in hosting under project (as a reseller) care.

The idea in situation (b) is that reselling covers the costs of project domains, and remaining difference goes to core development. Heck, I’d even consider being the first buyer under such a plan if it was somewhat feasible to competitive rates. I’m sure I’d not be alone with this mass exodus from Joyent right now.

#23 2012-08-17 03:49:54

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wet wrote:

Our hosting package is affected by this EOL announcement. I will provide more details as soon as I gather those.

Destry wrote:

Assuming Joyent says the project domains no longer get a free ride,

Hey guys why don’t you write to Jason first? I could do it if you want.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#24 2012-08-17 04:18:58

bici
Website Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

Destry wrote:

Out of the three Ocean Digital concentrates solely offering virtualized platforms, competing mainly with the likes as Linode. If you go that direction keep in mind those are unmanaged servers.

I am pretty sure i want a MANAGED reseller VPS. Which option is best? Linode.com looks good but i don’t want to manage no stinking servers

Last edited by bici (2012-08-17 04:20:57)

…. texted postive

Board footer