Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-11-19 16:12:00

jpdupont

Re: hcg_templates

I don’t ask you to copy the work of Manfre (he copy your work to create his plugin …)
I simply suggest you to improve this good plugin.

you’ll have to contact Manfre to update his plugin for Textpattern 4.3.0.

I’m able to do this update myself. Thanks.

#26 2010-11-21 23:18:13

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just thinking out loud here Bert but there is one niggley little problem with both your plugin and Manfre’s version. When importing a new template set, whilst they both export the existing set they still leave it in place resulting in the user having 2 template sets installed. I’m wondering if it is possible to delete the existing templates after the export function but prior to the import function??

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#27 2010-11-22 00:13:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

When importing a new template set, whilst they both export the existing set they still leave it in place resulting in the user having 2 template sets installed. I’m wondering if it is possible to delete the existing templates after the export function but prior to the import function??

Yes, it could be done but my idea of importing a template is so you can try out a new one. Also, keeping your existing site intact, allows you to copy/paste old code snippets to your new look, should you need to.

Most content based systems let you have more than one template set in the backend, Textpattern is a rare breed where one template is all you can have. Due to naming collisions, deleting everyone’s Pages, Forms and Styles would alleviate the problem I’m having with naming my new templates but it goes against what everybody else does in their backend.

A simple solution to having multiple backend templates is to use the Forms type to designate a template set. On the Pages and Style tab this can easily be avoided by naming the Page “Kubrick” and the Style “Kubrick”, but on the Forms tab, it gets a bit hairy due to all the forms a Template set may need.

The Form type isn’t used for anything, other than to provide a preview for certain types, but the preview doesn’t work all that well anyway. So an article Form has the same meaning as a misc Form, ie. <txp:output_form /> could care less what type a Form is, it just displays it by name, as does any other tag. The name of a Form has meaning only to those tags that have hard coded default forms, another tiny issue. With the release of 4.3.0, where you can expand/collapse types, you can easily have many templates installed and it not be a burden.

Textpattern 4.3.0 is a few tiny steps away from being able to import a Template set without any problems. If any core Templating does surface, it will be probably be in Textpattern 5.0, which I have no idea when it will be released.

But I hear you, it would be nice to avoid collisions and user confusion, but wiping out an existing site’s Templates is not something I would like to do.

#28 2010-11-22 00:51:46

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

No problem Bert. I went away and thought about it whilst I did something else and it occurred to me that deleting page templates would not be possible until the individual section requirements had been changed on the “Sections” tab. I’m assuming that Txp’s inbuilt safety system would simply block any attempt.

Not to worry. One day…

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#29 2011-01-05 19:33:58

~cXc~
Plugin Author

jpdupont wrote:

Could you merge into your plugin the plugins export/import, like Manfre did ?
mem_templates

hcgtv wrote:

When I released hcg_templates, I got a lot of criticism for using mcw_templates as the basis. As in, “I don’t see much difference between the two”, since there were very little changes I had to make to accomplish my goal.

So I don’t want to copy another person’s work, you’ll have to contact Manfre to update his plugin for Textpattern 4.3.0.

Bert, I understand your point here and I’m in a position very similar to the one you faced when you created your plugin.

Please read this thread post and let me know something.

~cXc~

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-01-05 19:36:44)

#30 2011-01-05 20:32:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

cXc wrote:

Please read this thread post and let me know something.

No probelemo ;)

Board footer