Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-01-29 02:09:00

lperry65

Theme creation tutorial/Documentation

Hi, I just came across TextPattern today, I’ve used Joomla but found that clients think its too difficult to use. I find most people just will not put in the time, they just want to get it done asap and there is a learning curve with Joomla. Anyway, I’ve had a good look at the articles on the site and read through some of the tutorials etc. But I’m not finding good focused tutorial/documentation on theme creation. This is an area I’m most interested in, as a PHP developer I want to be able to develop sites to look and work as if I had hand coded them, I’m having to write ad-hoc CMS sites at the moment until I find something thats not as focused on being a blog as WP and is simpler to administer than Joomla. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this maybe it, so a pointer to some good documentation on creating themes will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

#2 2010-01-29 05:34:34

maniar
Website

Re: Theme creation tutorial/Documentation

Hello Lee – I too tried textpattern once upon a time – but ran away because I couldn’t understand the theming part – now I am back building a new TXP site.

Have you looked at the TextBook ? You will find the basics of theming in Admin-Side > Presebtation

I haven’t found any tutorial to build a textpattern theme outside this site – perhaps the Textbook was enough for me ! Perhaps the others can point you to a decent tutorial.

Firstly you need to understand how Pages and Forms work – Pages define the entire layout of the – page – inside which are several ‘forms’ – the article, the comments, the comment-form, sidebar, header, footer etc.

Then you can simply call forms into your page by calling: <txp:output_form form=“sidebar” />

So your page can simply look like :

<txp:output_form form=“header” />
<txp:output_form form=“content” />
<txp:output_form form=“sidebar” />
<txp:output_form form=“footer” />

calling 4 forms called header, content, sidebar, footer.

That’s all there is to it.

Oh one other thing – The Tag Reference is your best friend

اردو میں بھی دستیاب Textpattern آپ کے لیے اب

#3 2010-01-29 12:56:21

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Txp isn’t built around the concept of modules and themes per se. Most Txp dynamic elements just produce raw content and it is up to you to choose the HTML markup for them. This approach is very flexible, and well suited to your desire for fully hand-coded sites.

The TextBook links maniar listed are good starts. Also in TextBook is a Tutorials section. This one is my take on getting started with understanding how Txp dynamic elements work; it’s pretty basic but is in the “build your own” approach so might suit you.

Code is topiary

#4 2010-06-07 17:44:44

Vide-Dressing

This is what’s cool with Textpattern, you design every thing just the way you want, then, it’s really easy to convert any html/css page to a templates, all you have to do is to add the tags you need.
title, css, rss feed, content, menus etc …

Board footer