Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2009-08-03 15:57:02

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.2.0 Release Candidate: Help us test!

TheEric wrote:

This is probably not the correct place for this,

Right.

#62 2009-08-03 16:43:28

Neko

Bloke wrote:

Would you please let us know the settings we can use as a test to replicate and track this down. Thanks.

I don’t know of any unconventional setting I might be using right now. Nothing in htaccess. I’ve taken a look at my server’s access logs and I don’t see anything out of place. Just users and bots hitting feed URLs. Would you like to have a copy of those logs?

Last edited by Neko (2009-08-03 16:44:01)

#63 2009-08-03 16:53:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

TheEric wrote:

This is probably not the correct place for this, but I’m beginning to suspect that I as a plugin writer will have to support only one theme, or forego support for any TXP versions greater than 4.0.8 due to the new theming system. I refuse to create multiple versions of my plugins for different themes. One doesn’t need different HTML markup to change the look. Look at CSSZengarden.com for an excellent illustration of this.*

If Eric is right (and it certainly looks that way), I agree.
Why doesn’t TXP 4.2 (major new version) simply throw out the old ‘use tables for layout’ design and move to a table-less design (not for actual tables of course), because even Remora still uses a table to layout the write tab.

#64 2009-08-03 16:59:17

TheEric
Plugin Author

ruud : Agreed.

#65 2009-08-03 18:44:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

As far as I was concerned (I may be wrong here), themes may only affect the markup of the header and footer, i.e. pagetop and end_page. For everything else it’s CSS land. Which plugins key their output off the header and footer on the admin side and would be affected if a theme altered this (not that it’s always a good idea — see note)?

I’m all for adding classes and the occasional extra ID to the various tables/p tags within the main page output so that themes and plugins can target CSS or markup alterations more directly. Or, perhaps even better (in addition?), what Stuart suggested: using fieldsets and legends around logically grouped sets.

Neko

Bizarre. I totally believe you that it’s happening, I just can’t replicate it so I don’t know where to start tracking it down. :-( I’ll try harder!

Last edited by Bloke (2009-08-03 19:00:23)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#66 2009-08-03 18:58:40

TheEric
Plugin Author

Why does there need to be two (or more, depending on what theme author’s will conjure up) markup styles? Just create one semantic markup. Reserve Tables for tabular data, labels for forms, etc. The current method just introduces bloat, and continues the non-semantic markup that has been part of the TXP admin since its inception.

#67 2009-08-03 19:28:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

TheEric wrote:

Why does there need to be two (or more, depending on what theme author’s will conjure up) markup styles? [snip]

*shrug* baby steps? I don’t know the answer. The header and footer are the key parts of the admin interface that are traditionally restyled by a site designer for a client; to add a client logo or custom links. Thus, admin themes allow this alteration either by CSS or (more drastically) by altering the markup if required. See Stuart’s A Bit Blue (the soon to be released v2 is very swish) for an excellent example of how to rejig the interface and use lists for the header tabs. As far as I am aware, no plugins were harmed in the creation of this theme.

Not all themes are going to be shared with the community. For example, my admin theme for Acme XYZ Corp isn’t going to benefit many other corporations, but having the ability to modify the markup/CSS without hacking the core is a major help at upgrade time. At the other end of the scale, some themes are going to be for everyone to share and those may end up being like Dave DeSandro’s excellent work: 99-100% CSS based.

Everything else in the interface — between header and footer — is currently targetable via CSS only (pluggable_ui() notwithstanding, but that’s plugin territory anyway). Sure, the markup could do with a spruce up to help plugin authors target stuff better. And if this sort of markup is deemed 4.2.0 worthy, well, never say never but I don’t know right now because we’re at RC1. Perhaps 4.2.1 will be the answer to your dreams instead?

But you still haven’t answered the question I posed above. You said:

… I as a plugin writer will have to support only one theme, or forego support for any TXP versions greater than 4.0.8 due to the new theming system. I refuse to create multiple versions of my plugins for different themes.

and I asked which plugins are affected by the ability to alter pagetop and end_page? More specifically, which of your plugins are affected? The community love your plugins. If we can gauge how much of a problem this is, we could address it before 4.2.0 hits the streets.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-08-03 19:31:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#68 2009-08-03 19:30:35

Neko

Bloke wrote:

Bizarre. I totally believe you that it’s happening, I just can’t replicate it so I don’t know where to start tracking it down. :-( I’ll try harder!

If you need credentials in order to access my TXP install, I’ll gladly send them over to you. As I said before, the fact that logs are recording feeds doesn’t bother me at all. I mean, I was just reporting a new behavior, not complaining about it. :)

#69 2009-08-03 19:33:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Neko wrote:

If you need credentials in order to access my TXP install, I’ll gladly send them over to you

Thanks in advance. I’ll have another play on my local install, and check the server logs too. Might be something I overlooked and need to fix. If I can’t get anywhere I’ll give you a shout. Thanks again for reporting your findings.

#70 2009-08-04 01:18:05

plexxxor

The version number is still 4.0.8

#71 2009-08-04 04:14:25

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

wet said

The download advertises itself as 4.0.8 in diagnostics, because we haven’t yet bumped the version number.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#72 2009-08-04 06:59:26

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Just installed the latest svn and when I set “Automatically adjust DST setting?” to YES it shows the time as an hour ahead. I’m in California so I selected Los Angeles. My server is two hours ahead of my time.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

Board footer