Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-10-27 19:00:52

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Re: hcg_templates

Including Sections in the Export/Import would be cool too.

Geoff

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#14 2008-11-07 17:32:15

baby
Plugin Author
Website

Bert, a couple of my students will try to enhance hcg_templates a bit by allowing it to upload a template zip file directly from the admin interface and download a zip file of the export.

They’ll also try to add the sections as per Geoff’s request… I’m thinking about one textfile per section named <sectionname>.section with the following format:

##### START OF default.section file #####
[default]
page = mytemplate_default
style = mytemplate_default
##### END OF default.section file #####

and

##### START OF about.section file #####
[about]
title = About this site
page = mytemplate_default
style = mytemplate_default
selected by default = no
on front page = no
syndicate = no
include in site search = yes
##### END OF about.section file #####

etc…

We’ll be working in my subversion repository everyone has read access there, feel free to PM me with a username/password you want and I’ll give you write permission in there if you want.

Regards.

Last edited by baby (2008-11-07 17:35:21)

Mariano AbsatzEl Baby

I don’t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#15 2008-12-15 14:18:55

ChrisArchitect

I’ve seen some mention of this, and am wondering if I should, or can, do something about it.

the plugin exports the pages & forms to the files on the host — but with the user and group of the php runtime. So in my case I get the ownership on the files that is different than my user account/group and so I can’t mod the files.

Can I change something in the file writing parts of the plugin code to change the ownership? Other than this issue the plugin looks to do what I want it to — which is export/import from SVN and effectively backup my txp presentation versions.

#16 2008-12-15 15:32:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Chris,

There is a way to do a chmod in PHP, though this plugin is intended to make it easier to import and export templates. It’s not really intended so that you could use your favorite text editor to work on your templates remotely. I do all my template work on a local XAMPP install, no need to worry about permissions. Once the template is uploaded to the website, then I use the Textpattern backend to maintain things.

You could setup a cron job that changes the permissions of the files under the _templates directory or write your own PHP script that does the chmod, throw it into _templates and run it when you need to.

#17 2008-12-15 17:36:00

ChrisArchitect

thanks for the comments

that’s all fine, it’s just that I wish to use the plugin to export and then commit to a SVN repository. I can download the files from the export, to local machine, where I can do the SVN commits, but then when I’ve got local files ready to be pushed back to the server, I can’t upload them overtop of the export directories on the server because of the permissionss.

in thinking about this now, I suppose I should be just doing fresh svn checkouts in different folders on there and then using the plugin to import … :-S that’ll work, except that the original exports will remain on there

I will see where I get….

thanks!

#18 2008-12-15 18:11:54

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

@Chris: You must have the same problem with files and images uploaded using Textpattern right?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#19 2008-12-15 20:12:54

ChrisArchitect

@MattD yeah, same issue ….that hasn’t been an issue for me just yet …it’s the pages/forms/styles I need to backup and commit to version control so that multiple developers can hack away at my site

#20 2008-12-15 21:06:51

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I believe the issue is at the host /php config level. I had the same problem with my old host but I don’t have that problem anymore.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#21 2008-12-15 21:16:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

MattD wrote:

I believe the issue is at the host /php config level. I had the same problem with my old host but I don’t have that problem anymore.

Yes, that’s really the case. On my current host, DreamHost, all the files I FTP up or a PHP app creates, I am the owner of, my userid. In some hosting providers, whatever files get created by PHP apps are owned by the Apache process, thus you have to the dreaded chmod 777 to get anything accomplished.

#22 2010-11-15 16:00:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Version 0.4 of the hcg_templates plugin is compatible with Textpattern 4.3.0.

Version 0.3 of the plugin will continue to work with Textpattern 4.2.0 and below.

#23 2010-11-19 06:41:10

jpdupont

Hello Bert,
Could you merge into your plugin the plugins export/import, like Manfre did ?
mem_templates
:-))

#24 2010-11-19 16:02:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jpdupont wrote:

Could you merge into your plugin the plugins export/import, like Manfre did ?
mem_templates

When I released hcg_templates, I got a lot of criticism for using mcw_templates as the basis. As in, “I don’t see much difference between the two”, since there were very little changes I had to make to accomplish my goal.

So I don’t want to copy another person’s work, you’ll have to contact Manfre to update his plugin for Textpattern 4.3.0.

Board footer