Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-06-26 17:44:49

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: When creating a site with TXP, I rarely find myself...

uli wrote:

I’m always good for mis-using “intended uses”. My mind’s spinning wildly: Put paths to images in the values (e.g. for diagrams), and you have language specific illustrations.

Textpattern only loads one language into the internal $textarray John-Michael was talking about. So this tag is a little underpowered by default. It does allow a certain amount of string re-use — but only if there’s a suitable string in the default install, unfortunately this happens pretty infrequently so you have to start editing the txp_lang table to change the strings. Not pretty.

If you just want a site in a single language that had the occasional translated diagram or something then this is probably a hard way to crack the problem. If you want a real multi-lingual site then install the MLP Pack and the <txp:text /> tag starts to shine and you can indeed use it as you imagined — very successfully too.

jm wrote:

(As far as I can tell at least – net-carver is the gTxt() pro around here!)

Humbug.

Steve

#26 2008-06-26 21:55:47

els

net-carver wrote:

Not quite. On the public face of your site, only those strings from the txp_langs table that are marked as public or common will get loaded. If you try outputting an admin-side or setup string you’ll just get its name, not the associated text.

Ah OK, I must admit I didn’t really try that one ;)

#27 2008-06-26 22:13:33

uli

So this “riddle tag” post has actually yielded an incalculable result, the MLGraphics/MLFile Download (at least for me it has). Long live the “intended use” misuse ;)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#28 2008-09-26 14:51:41

elliot100

After wondering about this tag myself and reading this thread, I’m assuming that it was originally intended for use only by developers of the default page and form templates, or for those publishing other internationalised themes; not for use by site developers.

#29 2008-09-26 18:17:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

elliot100 wrote:

After wondering about this tag myself and reading this thread, I’m assuming that it was originally intended for use only by developers of the default page and form templates, or for those publishing other internationalised themes; not for use by site developers.

Bingo.

Board footer