Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-05-30 05:53:47

maniqui
Website

When creating a site with TXP, I rarely find myself...

… using the “Override form” option on Content -> Write, because I haven’t any situation yet where I would need to use.
… using just one page template for all sections

—-
The idea behind this thread is that we all post about features/options/settings/techniques we don’t use (because we don’t need, or we don’t like or we don’t know a clever use, or we don’t know how to use it).

Then, if we want, we could also post a comment about that feature that another one said he/she doesn’t use it.
Like: “I don’t use it either”, or “I use it in this way”, etc.

For example, about me not using the “Override form”, someone could comment an scenario he/she found it useful.

The idea is to discover new ways about using uncommonly used settings.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2008-05-30 07:17:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: When creating a site with TXP, I rarely find myself...

Hi Julián
I always use the override form:) Over at neme.org the front end presentation of the custom fields is totally controlled using override so entries belonging to texts/info/call can display separate relevant results.

In fact I cannot think of a single feature in the write tab which I am not using in at least one of my sites.

I know that over at x-pattern are trying to modularise the cms and it should be good when/if it comes to fruition but I am not sure that the thread will produce results.

For example
  • the max custom_fields I use is 7 – others want an unlimited number.
  • The job done by Article Image can easily be done using a custom field but what happens to sites which are currently using this feature over hundreds or thousands of articles?
  • Non gallery sites might not need the caption but other ones depend on it.
  • Some sites do not use comments and others prefer the zem_contact plugin

I guess the reason of this thread for me is not so much about what features do we NOT use but what features could be modularised and what form should that modularisation take. It could be on/off checkboxes in the admin or whatever other method.

> Edit typos

Last edited by colak (2008-05-30 09:50:55)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2008-05-30 12:59:42

uli

Hi Maniqui,

though I think it requires a certain level of self-assurance to admit in public:

… don’t know a clever use, … don’t know how to use …

I especially like the idea behind these two, as we can learn from each other discussing those points.

Different from what you write,

1. I make use rather often of overriding forms in order to give authors enough flexibility for design variations so to be able to react on special situations for combining headline, image, caption, style etc. I like that I have four levels of fine-tuning for choosing forms: default, formname, override form (for my authors), and finally allowoverride=“0” (for … me! ;)
  2. I’d always try to get all my templates combined in one by using conditionals, because I like to be capable of just changing one page template. I really enjoy this concept in a CMS compared to static files. But maybe you’ve solved exactly this by using output_form and now have to make your changes on the form tab? Or you don’t care about this at all for your very own reasons.

I have deficits in the understanding of if_different, and I read that I’m not the only one. Though I found a rather good article on Kevin Pott’s site, it still couldn’t set me on track. With if_different there’s still too much unknowns for me, especially “different from what”? I’d like to see more working examples, and I’d care a great deal for some explanatory notes on them.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2008-05-30 14:36:33

masa

uli wrote:

With if_different there’s still too much unknowns for me, especially “different from what”? I’d like to see more working examples, and I’d care a great deal for some explanatory notes on them.

Agreed, the tag seems to have great potential and some more commented examples would be very helpful.

I’ve never used the CSS editor. It’s unusable for all but the simplest rules. Once you get into complex selectors it’s way to crammed.

I do use override form though.

#5 2008-05-30 15:55:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

masa wrote:

I’ve never used the CSS editor. It’s unusable for all but the simplest rules. Once you get into complex selectors it’s way to crammed.

ditto

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2008-05-30 23:12:29

maniqui
Website

uli wrote:

With if_different there’s still too much unknowns for me, especially “different from what”? I’d like to see more working examples, and I’d care a great deal for some explanatory notes on them.

masa wrote:

Agreed, the tag seems to have great potential and some more commented examples would be very helpful.

And we have one finalist: http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=180815#p180815

Yeah… that is a “feature” that, really, should be removed… removed at least as a ‘featured feature’ on Textpattern.com

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2008-05-30 23:20:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Shutting down Firefox in order to reclaim memory, cough Mampress ;)

#8 2008-05-30 23:24:34

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re CSS editor – I think the Dean thing applies too :D. I’ve never used it either.

Some other stuff I don’t use:

• Tag builder – easier to read the docs, or just look at the txp source
  • Override form – I don’t use it because I’d rather not tie a form to an article.
  • All built-in help (“?”). Too many 404s in the past.
  • XHTML preview
  • Link sort value
  • Auto append comments (well I use it…to turn it off)
  • Comments invite – manual is better :)
  • Comment = site updated – kinda annoying
  • Plugins :P

#9 2008-05-30 23:25:12

uli

When I read masa’s post, some words of a Frank Zappa song popped out of my brain: «That’s right, folks, don’t touch that dial!» ;)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#10 2008-05-30 23:28:34

uli

BTW, shouldn’t we invite some WP user to this thread? ;P

#11 2008-06-26 12:09:39

uli

… I rarely never find myself using <txp:text item="TEXT" /> instead of just TEXT.

Is this my personal flaw, and <txp:text /> is more than just TXPs “Hello world”?
Can anybody outline a scenario where it makes sense to apply this tag?

#12 2008-06-26 12:30:34

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Uli

Can anybody outline a scenario where it makes sense to apply this tag?

For multi-lingual sites perhaps.

Steve

Board footer