Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#829 2008-07-03 16:05:30

Timid&friendly
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

@net-carver
Thx again for the reply. I’d love to let you have a look at the backend but i’m testing local at the moment, i’ll try to put it on line when i get two seconds.

I don’t have any subdirectories…..

My feeling is that TinyMCE is the culprit, because it changes the tables in the article data base, exactly how, and what effect that will have, i don’t know because I’m a designer not a programmer, that is where i will be looking if i get a chance.

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#830 2008-07-03 16:24:43

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Timid&friendly

Ok. Let me know. Does switching TinyMCE off solve your issue?

Steve

#831 2008-07-03 16:52:18

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Marios

A while back, you asked for

Display of article ID numbers inside the MLP article table

Article ID numbers are already there — in the left-hand column. If you want the rendition ID, you can get the numbers by hovering over the rendition’s title. The link has it in it.

The possibility to clone hidden articles as well

Done.

Some sort of plugin tag, that allows, to call an article or article_custom by ID, and that will then display the according rendition, according to browsed language.

Not sure I understand what you are asking for in this one but Maniqui followed up by saying he was using something like this…

<txp:l10n_if_lang lang="en" wraptag=""><a href="/en/about/terms-and-conditions">##terms_conditions##</a></txp:l10n_if_lang>
<txp:l10n_if_lang lang="es" wraptag=""><a href="/es/about/terminos-y-condiciones">##terms_conditions##</a></txp:l10n_if_lang>

Well, I’d suggest you might do that by putting the entire link into your ##terms_conditions## snippet and letting the pack’s localisation choose the right one instead of using the conditional tags.

In the English rendition of the snippet I’d have…

<a href="/about/terms-and-conditions">Terms and Conditions</a>

and in Español…

<a href="/about/terminos-y-condiciones">Términos y Condiciones</a>

All you’d need in your page template or form would be ##terms_conditions## verbatim. Would that solve your issue?

Steve

#832 2008-07-03 18:02:35

maniqui
Website

Hi Steve. Although I think it could be a solution (a clever one) to put the link inside each snippet translation, it certainly leads to:
  • proably, having to create two versions of an ##string##: one snippet including the link, and the other one not including it, if you have to use ##string## both linked and not linked
  • you have to go to the Snippets tabs and edit the snippet to modify the link; ideally, that belongs to a page template, or to a form.

Quoting myself:

Maybe this could be done with a new tag, like <txp:l10n_permalink rowid="14">##term_conditions##</txp:l10n_permalink>.

Is is clear the idea of txp:l10n_permalink? :)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#833 2008-07-08 07:04:23

ultramega

I have one subdir installation site using MLP in, and everything works quite good, regardless it obviously shouldn’t. Now I wanted to test if I can use commenting too, and I set-up a empty subdir-site with same installation files as the previous. Test site is under different domain+user, but same host anyway.

In wizard-phase I got this kind error (not seen before):

MLP Pack Detected Version Problems

The MLP Pack cannot operate in this installation because…
Potentially missing MySQL Privileges.
User ‘username’ seems to be missing the privilege(s)…
SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, ALTER, INDEX, DROP
… for database ‘db_name’ on ‘localhost’.

I selected button telling “I have privs” anyway, and all seemed to go well.

Then I tested commenting, and noticed that in phase where user have to preview their comment, it is addressing to the root-url of the site; driving thus to 404 page. Is this something that can not be fixed, and one reason for not supporting sub-dir installations?

#834 2008-07-11 07:18:25

jano

Hi all,

Is it possible to transalte the Default comment invite snippet (set via Admin preferences)? It doesn’t seem to be registered by MLP.

I’ll probably use this workaround:

• Set de Default comment invite to an empty string
  • Let the user specify a custom comment invite in the write tab

Comment invite display controlled with this snippet:

<txp:chh_if_data>
    <txp:comments_invite textonly="1" showalways="1" showcount="0" />
<txp:else />
    <txp:text item="comments_invite" />
</txp:chh_if_data>

Last edited by jano (2008-07-11 12:29:53)

#835 2008-07-11 15:41:02

flowman

hi, i am relativly new to textpattern and the mlp. I am using the newest 4.0.6 version of textpattern.
I made the installation of the MLP with the wizard and it shows at point

8. Add the per-language article tables… that every language tabel failed to be added.

The effect was, that no articles were shown on my site.
Maybe someone can tell me what I could do, because I have to set up a 7 Language site in the near future
and have no idea why all tables were created exept these above.

I can repeat this fault after clean up mlp.

#836 2008-07-12 07:51:26

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega wrote:

Then I tested commenting, and noticed that in phase where user have to preview their comment, it is addressing to the root-url of the site; driving thus to 404 page. Is this something that can not be fixed, and one reason for not supporting sub-dir installations?

Correct — at least in the current implementation.

jano wrote:

Is it possible to transalte the Default comment invite snippet (set via Admin preferences)? It doesn’t seem to be registered by MLP

Will think on this one. iirc, it’s overriden by the ‘comment’ string in the MLP pack, I can’t remember why right now — but I think there was a good reason for it at the time.

Try using the Content > MLP > Snippets > Search form to locate the ‘comment’ string and try editing that to see if it does what you want for now.

Edited to add: Ok, checked my check-in comments and it’s because the default comment invite is essentially a mono-lingual entry in the prefs table — it only changes as you go to Admin > Prefs > Languages and switch the language there. So what the pack does is use the ‘comment’ string (localised) to override it on every public page load.

flowman wrote:

Add the per-language article tables… that every language table failed to be added

Did you get any warnings about missing privileges before you got to this point? Also, please could you let us know what version of the mlp pack you are using.

Thank you.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-07-12 08:21:47)

Steve

#837 2008-07-12 09:22:19

redbot
Plugin Author

Hi Steve,
I’m using the MLP for the first time and I must say I’m quite impressed.
Anyway, I have a suggestion: as explained here, localized section titles in the “write” tab would be very useful IMHO.
Just today Jukka released a plugin to obtain this in a standard txp installation so I was wondering if it could be easily adapted or inserted in the MLP, given that each section has already different renditions for titles.

edit: it seems that the category popup also is not language-sensitive when using the MLP (section titles are showing, but only in the default language, regardless of the language chosen in the language select box located ay the bottom of the page).
Actually I checked Jukka’s code and – from what I can understand with my very limited php knowlege – it seems compliant with your guidelines for plugin autors. So I suspect the ‘problem’ lies in the MLP itself.
Or am I saying something completely senseless?

Last edited by redbot (2008-07-12 10:51:01)

#838 2008-07-12 18:10:48

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

redbot wrote:

…I have a suggestion: as explained here, localized section titles in the “write” tab would be very useful IMHO

edit: …I suspect the ‘problem’ lies in the MLP itself. Or am I saying something completely senseless?

Hi redbot, glad to hear you like the pack.

Well, I faced this decision some time ago with Kjeld. If you check out the feature status table, item 14 addresses this.

Basically there is a bit of a dilemma for the MLP pack as to which language to use to localise the sections/cats (on the write tab at least.) Should it be the current language of the admin interface or the language the rendition is being translated into?

At that time — with only one user talking about this feature — I decided to leave them alone.

Steve

#839 2008-07-13 00:59:09

redbot
Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:

Basically there is a bit of a dilemma for the MLP pack as to which language to use to localise the sections/cats (on the write tab at least.) Should it be the current language of the admin interface or the language the rendition is being translated into?

You are right, I didn’t thought about it…
But the more I think the more I get more convinced that section titles should be “in sync” with the current language of the admin interface.
There are two cases:

1) If one is writing an article from scratch, then IMHO section titles should be localized with the current language of the admin.
In fact why should a user write an article in french with english set as language of the admin?
Probably because his primary language is english BUT he wants/needs to write an article in french.
So he doesen’t care the article he is writing will be saved in a section called “accueil” in french, instead he wants to know he is saving an article in the french equivalent of “home”

2) If one is editing (or translating) a previously created article… I think the same reasoning is valid

So why I talked about two cases? I don’t know I forgot. But, at the end, I think synchronizing section titles with the admin has more pros than cons…

#840 2008-07-14 10:33:59

redbot
Plugin Author

Hi all,
do you know if is there a way to make glz_custom_fields output localized custom field names when using the MLP?
To make it clearer suppose that I have a custom field named “files”. I’d like – in the “write” tab – to have “files” when the current language of the admin interface is english and “ficher” when is french.
Is it possible (even if it requires hacking some plugin)?
Actually I suppose it’s not easily doable but I just wanted to be sure.

Board footer