Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-06-16 13:28:01

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Backpacking in Europe

In Venice to see “Carlo Scarpa’s” work. There is a shop he designed for Olivetti in Piazza San MArco and also the School of architecture there. You have to choose the dates you go as Venice has 2 major festivals this year.

• The film festival (Golden Lion Awards)
  • The Architecture Biennale

Both are great but you’ll find that unless you find somewhere to stay well before you’ll be paying through the nose.

I remember reading someplace that “…a lifetime is not enough to learn Rome…” but here are my suggestions

• The new Contemporary Art Museum by Zaha Hadid
  • Musolini’s EUR
  • All the major Monuments
  • Just walk anywhere you can as the chances are that it was designed by some well known architect (Michaelangelo, Boromini, Bernni etc ) or it houses some amazing paintings

It is a cliche but in Milan try to see

• The central train Station
  • Pirelli Building (Just outside the station)
  • Duomo and the area arround it including La Galleria

If you want to go some place in Italy not many people go to try “St Gimignano” (photo below)

For Barcelona

There is Goudi’s work but also the Miro Museum by Jose Louis Sert as well as work by Frank Gheri, Pinos and Miralles etc, Try also to see the contemporary art Museum there…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#14 2008-06-16 13:41:40

jstubbs
Website

I live in Barcelona and can say that 2-3 days would make a nice visit. For something grander, I would go for Rome. Having lived in Singapore, I can imagine that it would be good to get out – Singapore feels like a goldfish bowl at times…

#15 2008-06-24 07:59:14

KLS
Website

Hi fellas, this is more or less confirmed.

Berlin (Ger) >> Vienna (Aus) >> Rome (Ita) >> Barcelona (Spa)

I have a question for those of you who’re familiar with the Eurail. I checked it out, I’m planning to get the Eurail Select Pass Youth 4 Countries 5 days in 2 months / 2nd Class / €232.00. The 5 days simply mean the travelling days right? Mean it doesn’t have to be consecutively, I can stop in one city for 2 days then continue? Do those 4 cities take more than 24 hours to travel to?

@chriloi
Hi mate, thanks for the links. I’m definitely staying in wombats when in Berline and Vienna, very cheap! I’m doing my research still but it’s more or less planned out. I’m planning to go on the 1 July to 16 July.

@colak
Thanks for the suggestions mate! Appreciate it, however, I’m not going Venice and Milan, not sure if the Eurail, has trains that passes by these, so perhaps I can take a half a day roam around the city…

@jstubbs
Hey mate, yeah tell me about it! I’ve been stuck here for 24 years! Maybe you can meet me if and when I’m in Barcelona yea! hehe.

Last edited by KLS (2008-06-24 08:15:44)

#16 2008-06-24 17:05:19

jstubbs
Website

Khairudin, I am almost certain that the Eurail pass for 5 days is exactly as you describe it. For BCN, sure, give us a shout when you are here and we can meet up if I am free and in town.

#17 2008-06-24 17:22:35

jakob
Admin
Website

There is a shop he designed for Olivetti in Piazza San Marco

@colak: great minds… I once built a fairly large-scale model of this and the magical staircase it contains for an exhibition and book (was made in limewood like the models made in renaissance times of the old basilica). BTW: San Gimignano is beautiful but one of the most heavily visited hill towns in Tuscany after Siena – nicest in the evening when the tourist buses have gone and the towers cast dramatic shadows in the evening light.

@KLS: On this page it says “Choose between 5 different pass durations: 5, 6, 8, 10 or 15 days of rail travel within any 2-month period” and “Travel days may be used consecutively or non-consecutively.” so I think you’re right. It also says that for the Select Pass Youth the countries must border one another. I would have thought that means you need to make a stopover in France to get from Italy to Barcelona but looking at their bordering countries page they list Spain and Italy as neighbours?? Dunno if that means the train doesn’t stop in France so it’s technically “not there” or whether that ‘direct connection’ is via boat (BTW: a great way to arrive in Barcelona).

Regarding train times, you can look at the pretty good German Rail site in English. You can also plug in other routes in Europe. I would say Berlin > Vienna and Vienna > Rome are 10-15 hour trips via train. Rome to Barcelona depends on the method (train/boat?) but it could just take longer than a day. Perhaps you should email Eurail to be safe.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer