Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-06-15 16:14:44

KLS
Website

Backpacking in Europe

So yah. Anyone has done it before? How was it? Anyone want to go with me? heh.

I’m planning on going alone for maybe 2-3 weeks in July (if everything goes accordingly) to this 4 major countries:

France – Paris

Germany – Munich

Italy – Milan or Rome or Venice

Spain – Madrid or Barcelona

Primarily for their rich heritage though I would love to see Holland, Greece and Portugal as well but don’t think I’ll have enough time nor money. Anyways, I’m starting my research soon on these countries, transportation and lodging.

Any recommendations on where is good place to start of and end in, to crash at, transportation, places of interests, anything to look out/beware of, tips advices etc. I will appreciate any info for a headstart.

:)

Last edited by KLS (2008-06-16 09:56:29)

#2 2008-06-15 16:22:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Backpacking in Europe

I’ve done it back in the 80s with no problems. Times are different now though. Maybe someone who did it recently might be able to keep you up to date.

What are you interested in?
Architecture and art?
Club culture, underground culture?

I guess the advise will be more precise if you could tell us more about what you are looking for:)

>damn typos

Last edited by colak (2008-06-16 06:37:36)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2008-06-15 16:27:38

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Isn’t this a bit too off-topic here?

#4 2008-06-15 17:17:03

jakob
Admin
Website

Sure, it’s OT, but a tip nevertheless: Seeing as you’re looking to cover quite some distances, travelling by train’s probably easiest. Various countries have their own rail pass, there are some rail tickets that cover several countries too. Like colak, I’ve not done it for a while but it’s fun. Many cities also have visitor passes that are valid for a few days and cover public transport plus also give you free entry to all kinds of events/museums etc.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2008-06-15 17:26:54

colak
Admin

ruud wrote:

Isn’t this a bit too off-topic here?

Hi Ruud,

It might be but it is community orientated nevertheless.

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2008-06-15 17:36:26

jstubbs
Website

General Discussions forum has this description:

Web development, miscellaneous topics, anything not really Textpattern-related.

So, I guess it is on-topic, as its a non-TXP thread! :-)

#7 2008-06-15 18:37:09

zero
Website

Google “youth hostel” and join a youth hostel association as soon as possible (they are open to any age). Then book in NOW in the cities you want. You may be unlucky, they may be already booked up but even if you go to them, you’ll get great information on local places to stay, plus all you need to know about places to visit from people who aren’t trying to sell you anything. Many youth hostels are in beautiful remote places and you probably want to spend at least one night away from it all.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#8 2008-06-15 18:57:24

KLS
Website

@colak
Ah you’re right, sorry. With such short duration, definitely art and archi and any historical landmarks and scenic places (I understand I can enjoy this if I travel via train).

Last edited by KLS (2008-06-16 09:56:07)

#9 2008-06-16 06:18:09

colak
Admin

For architecture: Historical or contemporary or both? Same goes of art:)

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2008-06-16 07:51:22

jelle

Hi KLS,

I suggest you do as much research you can before you get here so you can get a solid and realistic travelplan together. The countries and cities you mention are beautiful and offer a lot in terms of art and architecture (and food….and drink!). But I think it’s just too much to get it all in 2 or 3 weeks, especially when traveling from one place to there other by train. It’s better to limit yourself and and really get the best out of some cities instead of rushing through all of them. Cities like Paris and Rome have enough interesting places and cultural richness that you could easily spend 2 (maybe 3) whole weeks in one of them and not get bored.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Jelle

#11 2008-06-16 10:00:31

KLS
Website

@jakob
Thanks for the link mate!

@zero
Thanks for the info, will look into it.

I’m just planning on 4 countries/cities only. It’s either Milan (fashion right?), Venice (too romantic to go alone right?) or Rome for Italy and I’m torn between Madrid or Barcelona for Spain.

Can you fellas advise which is the best city/country to start of and end in? Thinking of stopping by in Austria to see the alps if its on the way as well…

@colak
Doesn’t matter, both if possible. =)

@jelle
Thanks alot for the tips. I understand it might be rushing. Hence I’m just narrowing down to 4 cities. I’m giving myself 3 days in each city, I know it’s not enough to see everything, but I’ll be starting sch on 21st July, so I can only afford 2.5 weeks max unfortunately. Maybe I’ll come back in the future. For now, I just need to get out of my country and see the world hehe.

I appreciate all the input fellas, keep em coming! Cheers!

Last edited by KLS (2008-06-16 11:49:55)

#12 2008-06-16 13:19:12

chriloi
Plugin Author
Website

The best route in respect of the short time you have would be: Austria, Vienna > Germany, Munich > France, Paris > Spain, Barcelona OR Italy, Rome (from Paris to Barcelona you need 12h overnight and to Rome 15h)

If I were you, I would start in Germany, Berlin (2/3 days) > Czech, Praha (2/3 days) > Austria, Vienna (2/3 days) > Germany, Munich (2 days) > France, Paris (3 days) > Spain, Barcelona (3/4 days).

Travelling only overnight with an interrail ticket: http://www.eurail.com/eurail_select_pass_5_countries?currency=usd

Best hostels in Berlin, Vienna, Munich: http://www.wombats-hostels.com/

When do you exactly plan to travel in July?

Board footer