Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#301 2007-07-25 03:57:03

hellosmithy

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I’m having trouble installing MLP on an MT gridserver with MySQL 4.1.11 I wrote a post here Problem with MLP (multi-language publishing) set up but just realised it probably should have been posted in this thread.

#302 2007-07-30 13:34:47

valugi
Website

hellosmithy wrote:

I’m having trouble installing MLP on an MT gridserver with MySQL 4.1.11 I wrote a post here Problem with MLP (multi-language publishing) set up but just realised it probably should have been posted in this thread.

I did have also problems installing textpattern and the MLP pack on mediaTemple. First they have different paths to the html folder and textpattern doesnt detect correctly this. I had to modify by hand some some links to absolutes paths in order to work. Than about the MLP, which is ok – one of the best plugins I have ever seen (in terms of utility and strenght) – I did have some problems in which this post helped me a lot.

Now I have it installed and you can see a trilingual version on my website www.valugi.ro . Some problems still are.
1. when duplicating posts and have the apache mod_rewrite active the “URL-only title” option in advanced option in posts are also duplicated… and this creates problems. I think this should be updated as you change the title of the post.

2. after duplication of a post the “Language” – in the top (<input name=“l10n_group” size=“4”>) remains the last used and this creates wrong entries in the db.

3. I also have problems naming categories. I change the names according to the specific language, the change is made in the db, but in the admin page I dont see the changes.

4. Also related with categories. When I am here: http://valugi.ro/en/category/Thinking-in-patterns – which is one of my categories and changing the language the script just change the language and not the rendition so what I get is this http://valugi.ro/es/category/Thinking-in-patterns not http://valugi.ro/es/categoria/Thinking-in-patterns. The Permanent link mode in my settings is section/title.

Nevertheless I like a lot this plugin and hopefully it will get better in time.

= truth is a chameleon =

#303 2007-07-30 15:14:25

hellosmithy

Hi Valugi,

I’ve managed to resolve the problem now – I’m not entirely sure how, but I tried a fresh install of textpattern again and this time it worked.
The site is up at www.nederlandershanghai.com and is working with 2 languages.
You’re right it is a great plug-in and one I’d love to use again and see expand in the future – nice site by the way!

#304 2007-08-02 09:38:46

ooz

I can’t find a solution for this problem:

MLP Pack Detected Version Problems
The MLP Pack cannot operate in this installation because… 1. It requires MySQL Privileges 1 SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, ALTER, LOCK TABLES, INDEX, DROP or above, current install is missing CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES.

Someone on this forum got out of this by installing the new version of MLP, well, I did. I also have the 4.0.5 of TXP. Are they incompatible? Is this a MySQL-installation problem?

“Habit is probably the greatest obstacle of perceiving truth.” R.A. Schwaller de Lubitz

#305 2007-08-02 13:47:01

els

ooz wrote:

I also have the 4.0.5 of TXP.

There seems to be a problem with 4.0.5 (see this post) because of changes to the txplib_db.php file.

Before I upgrade, I’d like to hear from someone who got the MLP pack working with 4.0.5.

#306 2007-08-03 08:42:28

beztak
Website

:( :( :( ;(

I run TXP 4.0.5 and MLP. After adding some missing tables in txp database I found another missing tables…

Can anybody fix MLP?

LET’S MAKE NEW DONATION… !!!!!!!!

pls…

#307 2007-08-03 18:50:27

jstubbs
Website

Great idea beztak, but who to donate to? Neither Steve nor Graeme seem to have the time anymore…

#308 2007-08-03 19:26:17

els

I too am more than willing to donate, but I was asking myself the same question as jstubbs. I’ve also been thinking that MLP might be turned into a subscription plugin, like zem_redirect. This is definitely the kind of plugin you don’t want to stop working…

#309 2007-08-03 20:51:49

beztak
Website

Question is if further development of this MLP plugin has sence if authors have no time… Because orientation in code of someone else is sometimes very difficult. Maybe will be better to “hire” programators like zem (his zem_redirect is perfect example) and start again. What do you think?

#310 2007-08-03 21:57:41

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

When I look at the txplib_db.php file in mlp-0.6.602.zip and compare that with the changes that were added between TXP 4.0.4 and 4.0.5, the only difference is in the safe_upsert function (see below), which is rarely used (for good reason, btw), because the only other new bit of code (the addition of the rebuild_tree_full function) is already present in that mlp version.

@@ -128,7 +128,7 @@
        {
                // FIXME: lock the table so this is atomic?
                $r = safe_update($table, $set, $where, $debug);
-               if ($r and mysql_affected_rows())
+               if ($r and (mysql_affected_rows() or safe_count($table, $where, $debug)))
                        return $r;
                else
                        return safe_insert($table, join(', ', array($where, $set)), $debug);

So.. that leaves the question, if it’s not txplib_db.php then where else?

#311 2007-08-06 11:24:41

filip baraka

beztak wrote:

Question is if further development of this MLP plugin has sence if authors have no time… Because orientation in code of someone else is sometimes very difficult. Maybe will be better to “hire” programators like zem (his zem_redirect is perfect example) and start again. What do you think?

I’m good for anything, as long as is reliable solution, I would gladly donate, pay or whatever, but this is :thumbdown
For now i’m looking for alternative solution to txp:((((

#312 2007-08-06 13:45:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

filip baraka wrote:

For now i’m looking for alternative solution to txp:((((

Nooooooooo! That’s a bit extreme :-(

I’ve not tried it on 4.0.5 yet but it seems some have managed to get it working and others haven’t. That implies it may be setup-related, not necessarily pack-related. Or maybe some people are not using all parts of it and thus not seeing the problems.

By its very nature MLP is a tricky beast to grease, and the fact it’s a mod means possible problems with upgrades to the core. But having had a quick peek through the maze of code, I’d echo the sentiment of ruud in that it doesn’t look on the surface to be to do with txplib_db.php. I could be wrong. Plus, nothing in the changelog jumps out at me as being related to anything the pack does under the hood. With people claiming installation errors, I wondered if maybe the permissions had changed by default in 4.0.5, but I can’t see it myself. And installation errors are rife in a lot of the prior posts under 4.0.4.

The versions of PHP/MySQL are definitely an issue. When my hoster upgraded(!) to PHP 4.4.4 and a newer MySQL, MLP started playing much more nicely without me doing anything (I haven’t tried PHP5). It is very picky, but there are countless posts in the forum that deal with oddities arising from weirdness in PHP/MySQL itself. I remember I also struggled with subdirectory installations and it was an acknowledged issue, plus the odd behaviour of the session cookie which caused all manner of weird effects (now cleared up, for reasons I cannot explain).

The bottom line is that hellosmithy has got it to work (beautifully, btw) on the nederlandershanghai site with two languages, so there’s hope for the rest of us :-) If I could wave a magic wand and fix the code for all combinations of PHP/MySQL/TXP I would, but a lot of it is voodoo to me right now. The next few weeks are going to be tricky, but after that I might be able to devote a little time to working out what this monster does. Can’t promise anything but I’ll try… Graeme’s the obvious choice since he’s a genius, but he’s a busy man. If there’s anything I really can’t fathom (and they don’t mind) I might ask Graeme or ruud if they can spare a half hour to point me in the right direction.

In the meantime, in order to give us something to go on, if you’re really really stumped and the previous posts in this forum don’t help, and you’re sure you’ve tried everything you can think of to get it going, please post as much pertinent detail as you can about what you’re seeing and under what circumstances. e.g.

• Is it during install or usage? Or both? On what pages?
  • What versions of PHP/MySQL?
  • Does a fresh install of TXP give different results?
  • Does disabling certain plugins change the behaviour?
  • Does the feature you’re trying definitely work under an identical installation of 4.0.4?
  • Is the result the same on a different hoster (if you can try this)?

and so on. Maybe hellosmithy can spot some recognisable snippet in your diagnostics and offer advice based on recent experience?

All I’m saying is, it might seem like it’s slow moving but don’t give up on us entirely! In this state of flux, after the driving force steps back, the others of us with PHP knowledge and a desire to see this awesome project move forward, can club together and take it on. Look at how Zem Contact Reborn arose for a prime example of community spirit! It just might take us a while to get organised and shuffle our other priorities (music/remixing/my record label is my #1, I just do this coding stuff for a laugh) or attract the right programmers who can do it justice.

Over and out.

Last edited by Bloke (2007-08-06 13:48:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer