Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-11-01 17:29:10

alicson
Website

subscribe to posts

hi. it’s me again.

is there an existing way for readers to subscribe to posts?
i know that authors, reigstered through the admin panel, can be subscribed to receive emails containing comments.. but can other authors and non-authors subscribe to receive update notices in their email? —the email may contain the new entries/the day’s entries if there are any, or just a notice to say a new entry has been posted.

i guess that people familiar with rss could subscribe through an aggregator or feed or whatever the correct terminology is.. but what of those who aren’t really, and would be more comfortable just hitting a “subscribe to posts” button that would send them notices in the familiar form of emails?

i’m asking for a lot, aren’t i? well i’m a happy textpatterner regardless… i just think some of these features would make textpattern (and me, and perhaps a few others) happier.. :)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#2 2004-11-01 18:50:56

Remillard
Plugin Author

Re: subscribe to posts

Out of curiosity, how would be able to tell if the site changed? (or how would you like this to work?) I was trying to think of a way that perhaps it could be done with a plugin, but it might require an API for admin level plugins. Just hooking something to “publish” in write, seems a little dangerous as it might send out far too many if you are simply editing.

So that sort of led to a checkbox on the page for “send out update e-mail upon saving”. This doesn’t seem too bad.

If it’s something like triggering a mail when comments are submitted, then that might be possible with a current plugin. It could trigger on comment publication, and could be initiated by a form by the plugin.

An interesting thing to think about.

#3 2004-11-04 22:53:06

tmacwrig
Archived Plugin Author
Website

WordPress has a nice system of adding filters to events in the admin interface… I think it’s worth checking out.

#4 2004-11-05 16:43:15

alicson
Website

i’d lost this thread.
‘found it. :)

to tell if the site has changed… your checkbox idea, Remillard, sounds absolutely ideal. otherwise, as an example, the way xanga has it set up is so that viewers may opt to receive a newsletter, of sorts… either in daily or weekly form (we don’t have to offer so many choices, necessarily), or immediately upon ever new published entry. so if you select the daily option, then at the end of the day, you get an email that collects everything posted with that day’s date. or at least the links pointing to those entries.

‘subscribe to comments’ is a separate feature, i think.. but one i think would be extremely useful.

Thanks tmacwrig.. Wordpress does have these features—i believe. i’m sure ScriptyGoddess would have made a point to do it by now, if not long long ago.

I did have my bout with Wordpress… there are some features it has that I really adore… such as the option for people to register themselves to a site. —that’s absolutely essential for some sites to function.

But I’d really like to stay a Textpatterner..and see Textpattern grow and learn new tricks along the way… such as subscriptions :)

#5 2004-11-27 03:27:43

alicson
Website

just a friendly *bump* :)

i still think this would be one of the more useful new features to have on Textpattern… and it seems i’m not the only one (this time ;)) making the request.. as i was searching for this old thread i had posted, i came upon this one, and this one, and also this, and this, and also this.

we’re all living fine without it, but if anyone feels up for a challenge….. ;)

#6 2005-01-07 07:40:48

jesper

This is exactly what I am looking for too. Textpattern is great as is, but this could make it even better. Hope someone figures how to do it.

#7 2005-03-03 01:59:55

nvalvo
Website

I would also like to see something like this.

osCommerce, that bloated monstrosity of an eCommerce engine (best of a bad lot), has something similar to what we should have. There is an admin panel called “Customers” that allows you to send newsletters and announcements to one, several, or all the people who signed up. It’s ok.

Nick

http://www.nvalvo.com
http://www.factbasedcommunity.com

#8 2005-03-24 03:00:50

alicson
Website

please?

#9 2005-03-27 20:20:40

alicson
Website

would it be possible to integrate Bloglet with Textpattern? would that be a good way to do the job?

#10 2005-03-30 10:20:39

Destry
Website

Some kind of working solution to this would be good, whether an integrated solution or clever combination with a third party product. There’s a number of other relevent threads on this topic; I’ll rope them in here…

And there’s probably more, but what it seems like to me is there is a need/interest to employ a newsletter. Makes no difference to me how it’s done, but it would be nice to have some technique documented for TextBook that people could use.

Last edited by Destry (2005-03-30 10:22:42)

#11 2005-11-08 19:05:46

darrepac
Website

Interest for me too…

Board footer