Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-03-09 17:43:40

Tae

request: newsletter plugin

i noticed that expressionengine has a newsletter plugin and i was wondering if there could be one for txp as well.. i like the idea of txp handling a central list of subscribers – not only for newsletters but anything else that may benefit from it such as downloads, uploads, galleries, comment moderation, etc.

#2 2005-03-10 00:39:15

Anark

Re: request: newsletter plugin

Site feeds haven’t killed newsletters yet, have they?

I mean, once everyone realises that they don’t have to provide a spammable e-mail address for a feed, newsletters will be good and dead.

#3 2005-03-10 00:45:53

Tae

i use rss myself but there are times when a newsletter meets a different need. so please don’t dismiss newsletters just cuz you don’t see the need for them.

Last edited by Tae (2005-03-10 00:48:00)

#4 2005-03-10 09:24:49

arpan

site feeds are good for something that is changed every day, or atleast every week.

Newsletters are useful for things that are published only a few times a year — like regular newsletters, or product announcements etc.

#5 2005-04-01 03:07:46

soulship
Website

Tae I saw <a href=“http://textpattern.org/tips/318/using-phplist-for-a-newsletter-in-textpattern”>this article</a> that looks like just what you need.

Jamie

#6 2005-04-01 11:07:56

Baseline_Benny
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve been playing with both phplist and another product. But I don’t feel that either ‘fit’ into txp that well.

To answer the ‘why have a newsletter?’ question….

RSS/Atom/XML etc all allow subscribers to the feed to sub/unsub when they want. It gives them control.

An email newsletter however can (and should) be more personal. You can include the persons name, and target only people on your list that have demonstrated interest in the offer your making.

RSS is less personal, email is more personal.

With email, you can remarket an offer to those that have clicked thru on particular links offer A and those that clicked other links in the same email, offer B. The benefit is that you can be more one on one. It’s a more intimate conversation. RSS is a discussion with a group.

Ben.

PS colak’s nice simple explaination of using phplist in txp is good.

Life is what you make it… if nothing changes, nothing changes.
Web hosting http://dynamicwebhosting.com.au/
Web dev & marketing http://wallishamilton.com/

#7 2005-04-01 21:49:01

Tae

> soulship wrote:

> Tae I saw <a href=“http://textpattern.org/tips/318/using-phplist-for-a-newsletter-in-textpattern”>this article</a> that looks like just what you need.

tho i was hoping for more of a simple, plugin solution, this will prob do for now. i really appreciate the heads up!

Benny, what do u mean by not fitting well? is there anything i should look out for before i give it a try?

#8 2005-04-01 21:49:08

Tae

> soulship wrote:

> Tae I saw <a href=“http://textpattern.org/tips/318/using-phplist-for-a-newsletter-in-textpattern”>this article</a> that looks like just what you need.

Jamie

#9 2005-04-01 21:50:12

Tae

doh.. didn’t mean to double-post. forums acting up..

#10 2005-04-02 16:06:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

> Tae wrote:

> Benny, what do u mean by not fitting well? is there anything i should look out for before i give it a try?

There are some pros and cons with phplist

there is a problem with phplist and txp. As phplist is a full on newsletter system you will need to do a lot of extra work to fully integrate it with txp. How the method I posted works is that on submit (ie subscribe or unsubscribe), the action takes you to another part of the site which although I have used a similar layout as the one I use in txp, it is not a txp powered page. It is a phplist powered one. I think that most visitors will not even notice it.

In the research that I have done, I have found phplist to be the most powerful open source newsletter out there, so it was a small price to pay.
A major advantage with phplist is that it can post our rss feeds. I’m still working on this one and will post in this forum if/when I find a good solution.

Finally, although I am loving txp, none of us really know what our sites will be powered by in 2-3 years from now.
having a separate newsletter software might in the end be an advantage.

Last edited by colak (2005-04-02 16:07:59)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2005-04-02 18:02:20

Destry
Website

Ben, Colak, thanks for keeping this alive. Colak makes a good point about the long-term aspect; it’s probably worthwhile to keep the systems separate anyway.

Colak, I haven’t had time to try your instructions, but I will. I have a client needing something like this right now. Thanks for putting that up.

#12 2005-04-03 07:10:59

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Destry, as i wrote in the original post, do let me know if I left anything out.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer