Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-03-15 16:12:38

towndock
Website

Blogger importing problems

I have imported articles from Blogger to Textpattern before – but it has been 2 or 3 years. It worked then, although with some errors. Still, I was basically able to import content.

I have several older sites still using Blogger, and plan on moving them all over to Textpattern in coming months.

But there is a problem – I’m following the import instructions to a T. The import.txt file created by Blogger appears to be fine – it has TITLE, AUTHOR, DATE and BODY with content all appearing correctly (there are no comments on these sites).

When I import the file to Textpattern, it creates all the articles in the correct section, with the correct date(s) – but the Body is blank. There is an error generated by Textpattern when the import is done:

Notice: Undefined index: BODY in /home/username/public_html/textpattern/include/import/import_blogger.php on line 100

(I have changed the username in this example to “username” for security reasons)

FYI – I have tried this with Textpattern 4.06 through 4.20 with the same results. I may have (I’m not certain) used an older version of Textpattern the last time I did this successfully.

Any ideas on how to make this work? I have sites with hundreds of articles – manually won’t be fun.

#2 2010-03-17 18:49:29

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Blogger importing problems

Does this help?

Last edited by JanDW (2010-03-17 18:50:46)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#3 2010-03-18 13:05:58

towndock
Website

Thank you for the post. I’m running the old Blogger template structure so it isn’t affected by that issue.

The directions to import blogger content are relatively simple. I can create the import.txt file just fine. It appears to be correctly formatted – it is just the Textpattern import tool doesn’t function properly.

From what I can tell the Import tool in Textpattern for Blogger in 4.20 and other recent versions simply does not work (it did work years ago). If I am mistaken my apologies – but based on what I can see that is the conclusion.

I would hope it could be fixed – but if not it shouldn’t be in Textpattern.

The timing is unfortunate – Blogger is eliminating FTP service as of May 1 2010 (the ability to use Blogger to post content to a non Blogger hosted site). There will be many sites looking for a new way to manage their content. I have many smaller sites I am trying to move to Textpattern. It should be easy – but it just isn’t working.

#4 2010-03-18 15:51:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

towndock wrote:

I would hope it could be fixed

I should hope so too, but without any blogger content in my arsenal I don’t really know where to begin.

If you don’t mind, would you be able to mail me some sample blogger-exported content that utilises as much of the blogger engine as you can. The larger the quantity and wider variety of content the better. I can see if I can then use that to transmogrify it into TXP and in the process fix the importer.

Does anybody with Blogger knowledge know whether TXP should only use this format or are there older formats that we still need to support? From that other thread JanDW linked to, it seems the ‘new’ format is quite involved so perhaps a pre-requisite of our importer is that we should stipulate the data should be saved using the old template. Then all I gotta do is fix the importer so it works!

Last edited by Bloke (2010-03-18 15:51:52)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2010-03-19 01:16:45

towndock
Website

Huge thanks for checking this out Stef. I have sent you an email with an import.txt file created by Blogger.

#6 2010-11-29 02:03:47

armartinez135

Hey there! I have used Textpattern to create a blog before but am trying to import a blogger one in for a client. I am getting similar issues along with this one and as much as I love textpattern these forums seem to be forgotten about. Any solutions for this issue?

It would be greatly appreciated!

#7 2010-11-29 07:59:58

els

Have a look at this thread. If you post there, maybe the topic starter can help you.

#8 2010-11-29 17:45:36

armartinez135

Thanks Els, I’ll take a look and see.

Board footer