Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-02-13 04:25:32

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

upm_db_admin: Requests and Progress

This is a split from Helpful, quick utilities?.

Rob’s rss_admin_db_manager hasn’t been updated in some time. Steve had started work on a remake, but he’s waving goodbye. So, it looks like I’m taking it on.

It’ll be a complete remake from the bottom-up, borrowing heavily from Rob’s plugin where appropriate. I hope to eventually accomplish quite a few things with it, but it’ll take some time.

Here’s the start of what it will look like (screenshot updated 25 Feb 2009).

Planned features/updates:

• Greater compatibility for servers the original would not operate correctly on. I can’t guarantee anything, but I can try a few different things, including backup/restore for sites without access to mysqldump.
  • Allow administrators to determine which other users groups (if any) can access the backup feature (other features would still be restricted).
  • Nicer display of the sql results table.
  • Include table prefix information in the database info section.
  • Ability to ignore certain tables in the database (will not be displayed or backed up)

Stuff that won’t be going into it:

• Automatic or scheduled backups. You really should use CRON for this.
  • Emailing the database backups as an attachment. I wouldn’t recommend anyone using email to send backups, for multiple reasons.

This is the time to let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to consider adding/changing with this new creature.

Last edited by Mary (2012-03-01 00:08:39)

#2 2009-02-13 07:37:01

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Re: upm_db_admin: Requests and Progress

Not sure if this is possoble, but would be great if making backup would be accessible without mysqldump feature. I have several hostings, where this functontion is absent.

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#3 2009-02-13 09:03:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi MAry… Will it also have a repair function?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2009-02-13 21:03:34

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Victor: I intend to see about doing that, yes.

Yiannis: Yes.

#5 2009-02-14 02:12:15

rsilletti

One tidbit I find myself looking thru config files for is the table prefix I used with multiple installs in the same database, matching table sets with installs, would this be reflected as part of the NAME?

Last edited by rsilletti (2009-02-14 02:18:22)

#6 2009-02-14 06:58:08

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Sure, I can display the Txp table prefix in use.

That gives me another idea: ability to “ignore” tables (tables you don’t want displayed or included in the backup process).

#7 2009-02-14 13:15:18

redbot
Plugin Author

Mary wrote:

…ability to “ignore” tables (tables you don’t want displayed or included in the backup process).

+1!

#8 2009-02-14 18:24:11

woof

I think it would be useful to be able to add a note eg description when creating a backup

#9 2009-02-14 21:00:57

merz1
Website

Re. notes: +1 Nice idea.

Thoughts:

• What about adding an internal section (admin only) and every backup becomes an article?
  • Give me an RSS feed and I can download the file to my computer.
  • Delete the article and the backup is also deleted.

More ‘over the top’ features?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#10 2009-02-23 11:43:48

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

May be auto backup? As event trigger you can use log.event? Add some column where to store last backup time and launch backup if set period time elapsed?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#11 2009-02-23 12:02:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

the_ghost wrote:

May be auto backup?

I thought this had already been discussed, or have I missed the point? Auto backups eat disk space and some of us (e.g. me) only have small, cheap hosting packages. So without a backup rotation mechanism it’s not much of a “must have” compared with the ability to offer certain user privs an ad-hoc backup system, imho.

Besides, most hosts back up the user space regularly anyway so it’s only a support call away to get your DB restored, isn’t it?

Last edited by Bloke (2009-02-23 12:02:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2009-02-23 12:13:09

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

No need to store everydays backup for years. And the size of backup will vary from one site to another. One of my site backups (gzipped sql) weights 500kb – and it’s rather big – some hundreds of articles.

What about backup vie hosting support – in most cases people who use cheap hosting can’t use normal support. As for me, it’s faster to import my own backup sql, than write a ticket, wait for response, write an argument why to restore backup, wait again for response and so on. It’s so cool to feel myself The Master Of Backup with upm_db_admin :)

P.S. Directory with backup files can be protected via .htpassword for more security

Last edited by the_ghost (2009-02-23 12:14:58)

Board footer