Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-01-07 06:10:44

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: [contrib] Idea for the new year : translation of the main TXP website...

Though I agree that a translated textpattern.com site may increase visibility of Txp to non-English speakers, I’m not convinced that the MLP Pack is the best way to do this.

Despite what Patrick kindly said in the OP, the pack is not a plugin (though it includes 2 plugins). It is a modification to Textpattern — some might even call it a hack. What you’d then end up with is a bizarre case of a modified Txp (ie, not really Txp) being used to advertise Txp. Possible: sure — but not quite pure.

Steve

#14 2008-01-10 09:36:20

citizenk
Website

If you need any help for an Italian translation, count me in.

Serge K. Keller

#15 2008-01-10 11:58:21

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

net-carver wrote:

Patrick wrote:
…what do you think about to offer the main TXP website page into all 33 languages…?

Can’t imagine how much horizontal scrolling this will need on the content > mlp > articles tab if it happens.

:) Sure!

For now : 3 persons offered help for French translation (Niconemo, Dragondz and Pat64) ; 1 personn for Italian translation (citizenk)

@Mary : could you tell us what your opinion? Tks.

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#16 2008-01-10 14:15:26

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I possibly could translate it to Finnish :)

Cheers!

#17 2008-01-10 18:28:03

els

Pat64 wrote:

For now : 3 persons offered help for French translation (Niconemo, Dragondz and Pat64) ; 1 personn for Italian translation (citizenk)

Gocom wrote:

I possibly could translate it to Finnish :)

When I said “I think that is a very good idea” I meant of course that I’ll do the Dutch translation ;)

#18 2008-01-10 19:27:23

maverick
Website

For convenience

Offers to Translate

French

Pat64
Niconemo
Dragondz

Finnish

Gocom

Dutch

Els
Kees-B

Italian

Citizenk

Russian

The_Ghost

fwiw

Last edited by maverick (2008-01-11 15:13:23)

#19 2008-01-11 03:40:52

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I’ve been asked about this before. I’m not against the idea per se, my only problem is how to go about it. I really would prefer not to use hacks/mods of any kind on txp.com.

There’s always the old fashioned way of multiple Txp installs in subdomains or something, but that seems an awful lot of work.

If you can come up with a purely native/plugin based solution, I can try implementing it.

#20 2008-01-11 05:01:35

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Mary

I really would prefer not to use hacks/mods of any kind on txp.com.

I agree with you 100%. In the case of this specific project, I think the MLP Pack is the wrong solution.

All

That is not a vote of no-confidence in my work — I put long hours into the development and ongoing support of it — but IMO, it doesn’t fit the requirement of Textpattern driving it’s own site. If the MLP Pack wasn’t a mod, I’d back the idea to use it. As it is, I think it is far better to do this with native Txp or with a minimal amount of plugins.

Patrick

Am I correct in thinking that you only want to translate the main page of textpattern.com?…

… If that is the case, why not just go for a one-section-per-language solution and have each section have a single article which is a translation of the main page? A simple language switcher based on the txp:section_list tag can then be included into either the main page template or a form that it calls.

Can you give us an more complete description of the limits of what you want each translation to include? Do you want the side-bars etc translated as well? How about the contact page? etc… etc…

Steve

#21 2008-01-11 09:49:18

kees-b
Website

Els wrote:

When I said “I think that is a very good idea” I meant of course that I’ll do the Dutch translation ;)

Hi Els, I can help you if you want. I’m also maintaining the txp-nl localization.

kees

#22 2008-01-11 11:10:06

els

Mary wrote:

If you can come up with a purely native/plugin based solution, I can try implementing it.

I’ve used this technique before, it’s easy and native, would you have a look at it Mary?

net-carver wrote:

How about the contact page?

Hmm… what would the dev team do with messages in all kinds of languages? ;)

kees-b wrote:

Hi Els, I can help you if you want. I’m also maintaining the txp-nl localization.

Great! And I did not mean to take over your responsabilities, Kees ;)

#23 2008-01-11 18:14:15

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

As Els said it seems no need to translate the contact form.

Steve said before

Patrick
“Am I correct in thinking that you only want to translate the main page of textpattern.com?…”
(…) “Can you give us an more complete description of the limits of what you want each translation to include? Do you want the side-bars etc translated as well? How about the contact page? etc… etc…”

The limit is the main page only. For the links, it will be interesting to add “Lang: US” in front of each. It seems interesting to translate the side-bars only for the description of TXP features.

I’m going to start the french translation into the French Forum and submit it to all person who want to collaborate in it.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-01-11 18:15:56)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#24 2008-01-11 18:29:25

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Patrick

Hello again.

Sounds like you’re only interested in a very limited translation after all. Perhaps this could be arranged as mentioned before — a section per language with one article in each section. The article body could hold the translation of the main page and the excerpt might be used as translated side-bar content. The addition of a language selector would be very easy using URLs pointing to the appropriate section.

No need for anything special at all in the way of MLP or even plugins.

Steve

Board footer