Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-06 17:45:55

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

[contrib] Idea for the new year : translation of the main TXP website...

Cause Steve (aka: net-carver) made a very important and very easy to usel Multi-Language Plugin, what do you think about to offer the main TXP website page into all 33 languages supported by this [great] CMS?

It’s a simple marketing approch to promote TXP. I’d began to translate it in French and I’ll ask to the french community it’s help.

What is your opinion about that?

Best regards,

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-01-06 17:46:23)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#2 2008-01-06 18:08:07

guiguibonbon

Re: [contrib] Idea for the new year : translation of the main TXP website...

If I remember well, the website doesn’t use textpattern. So there’s no way to use MLP for it. It would have to be re-coded entirely.

Also, this might sound strange, but cms websites in a language other than English have a very mixed effect on me. First, because it sounds like some local little thing that doesn’t aim an international community. Secondly, once I understand the website is only a (often poor) translation, it makes me feel like whoever is behind the cms is spending more time selling the product than improving it. Plus, it’s basically a false promise since the community activity happens mostly in English, and you’re pretty much screwed if you don’t know basic English.

I like the idea of doing a community effort to celebrate new year though.

#3 2008-01-06 18:23:18

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

guiguibonbon wrote:

If I remember well, the website doesn’t use textpattern. So there’s no way to use MLP for it. It would have to be re-coded entirely.

I hate to spoil your fun and say: Then it’s quite miracle that there is backend where you can edit the page and post to the completely Textpattern made blog and website ;)

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2008-01-06 18:25:26)

#4 2008-01-06 18:26:27

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Guiguibonbon.

Nope, the idea is to offer all languages, not only French one, of course!

TXP main website is made by…TXP of course !

I understand you point of view, the community activity happens mostly in English. But this idea is to catch new and more users.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#5 2008-01-06 18:43:53

guiguibonbon

Yeah, well, either i’m becoming crazy, or things changed, or only the blog uses textpattern. Because in my memory it leaves no doubt that I once read (albeit a very long time ago) that the textpattern website didn’t run on textpattern because it would cause unnecessary strain on the server, while static files do the job equally well. Maybe I am becoming crazy, so I won’t bet any money on it.

But now i’m seeing the css files are delivered by textpattern, so yeah, I’m probably just having a Jeanne d’Arc moment.

edit : that and the “published with textpattern” logo in the footer. Can I be stupid at times…

Last edited by guiguibonbon (2008-01-06 19:20:59)

#6 2008-01-06 19:01:16

els

Hey Patrick, I think that is a very good idea! I take it you’re just talking about the main site (without the weblog and FAQ)?

guiguibonbon, I don’t agree with you. We can make sure the translations are not ‘poor’. And you are right that the community activity happens mostly in English, but it’s a fact that there are subforums for all supported languages. Offering the main site in all these languages, might stimulate the use of the subforums for those who are not comfortable enough with English.

#7 2008-01-06 20:23:57

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Els wrote:

(…) “I take it you’re just talking about the main site (without the weblog and FAQ)?”

Els : absolutly, yes. It’s a very, very short translation.

So I’m going to write a thread on the French forum.

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-01-06 20:25:16)

Patrick.

#8 2008-01-06 20:39:51

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Where can you find this?

Mikä se on?

Joustava, tyylikäs ja helppokäyttöinen sisällönhallintajärjestelmä. Textpattern on ilmainen, kuin myös avoimella lisenssillä varustettu.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2008-01-06 20:41:33)

#9 2008-01-06 21:14:45

els

Shouldn’t we hear the developers’ opinion first?

#10 2008-01-06 21:28:15

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

P.S. Mark me as future translator to russian :)

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#11 2008-01-06 23:39:38

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

+1

if only to make the front page a little less sterile

#12 2008-01-07 05:00:58

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Patrick wrote:

…what do you think about to offer the main TXP website page into all 33 languages…?

Can’t imagine how much horizontal scrolling this will need on the content > mlp > articles tab if it happens.

Steve

Board footer