Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-07-04 05:04:15

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

an7_comments

an7_comments gives a little more power in setting up comment invitations and comment counts; set up custom messages for 0, 1, or more comments, and a global comment invitation (overriding the individual article comment invitation text, so you can easily change the invitation for the entire site).

Visit the site for more information

VFX artist, photographer, designer, CG generalist, and hobbyist web developer
My TXP sites: blog | reels | portfolios

#2 2007-07-04 06:50:28

The-Exit
Website

Re: an7_comments

what exactly is the difference to gho_comments_invite?

#3 2007-07-04 07:41:11

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

they differ mainly in “setup”, but in all seriousness I hadn’t come across the GHO plugin before I started mine. The more noticeable differences might be:

- AN7_comments includes an “invite” and a “count” tag, allowing you to mix and match a little easier (though currently the “invite” tag includes a comment count, it is easily removable, giving you full control over how invites and counts are displayed). This also allows the comment count to be used separately, something most other tags don’t offer.

- in AN7_comments_invite, the custom comment count is inserted after the invite, and isn’t part of the link (it looks to me like GHO inserts the comment number first, and as part of the link).

- the comment count is more customizable, in that the number can be inserted anywhere in the custom text strings (using the “#” symbol as a dynamic placeholder).

- the AN7 tags don’t have a no-comments-allowed text option (something that would be nice to rectify in the next release).

- AN7_comments_invite only works with popup comments. While I do welcome requests, I generally develop plugins to fit specific site needs I come across; and I just don’t use inline comment submission forms (popup comment submission takes care of most spam instantly).

- global overwrite of the comment invite text. This is actually the original purpose of the script; to give me an easy way of changing the comment invite text for an entire site without having to go through and changing it article-by-article (something that quickly becomes impossible with 100 or more posts).

GHO and REI both look like good tag systems if you need the standard inline Textpattern comment invites. On the other hand, if you need a (possibly) more flexible comment count system, AN7 might be more useful.

#4 2009-03-29 00:41:09

iaian7
Plugin Author
Website

an7_comments 0.5.0 has been released! It now supports mediaboxAdvanced overlays – no more popup windows, just an inline modal box. Of course, the original popup window is still a variable, so you can keep on using that as well.

This version also adds a rudimentary author detection tag, with manual controls over the author email (instead of pulling from the database), so you can use it to screen for other email address, or set up a more secure “code” than just your email (so long as it validates when posting comments).

#5 2009-11-07 13:43:00

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Hi John,

I’ve been trying to get your comments plugin to work with the Mediabox.

I can get both to work separately but not together.

Can you give me a code hint on how to implement the Mediabox with your comment tag?

I’m using

<txp:an7_comments_invite comment="leave a comment? " count0="there aren't any yet!" count1="one comment" count2="# comments and counting" overlay="true" lightbox="lightbox" />

Thanks

Last edited by geoff777 (2009-11-07 13:57:27)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Board footer