Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#589 2008-06-12 20:53:06

renobird
Website

Re: ign_password_protect

Hey Igner,

Any plans on a “forgot your password” feature? Ideally the user could enter their email address and it would reset and email them a temporary password. Once logged in they could reset it to whatever they want. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere…I couldn’t find anything on it.

#590 2008-06-12 20:59:59

igner
Plugin Author

It’s been mentioned before, and it’s on the list. I’m doing more TXP-related work these days, so I may very well find the time to work on some of the long promised improvements one of these days…

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#591 2008-06-12 21:13:52

renobird
Website

Cool. Thanks man. Glad to hear the TXP-related work going on.

)

Tom

#592 2008-06-13 06:15:17

jstubbs
Website

Hi igner,

What I could really use is a search feature, because once you get to 10 pages of users, its difficult to find users by username, email etc. It would also be nice to be able to search for those who have never logged in.

Is it also possible to send out an email to all users?

Thanks for the great plugin.

#593 2008-06-13 15:35:38

igner
Plugin Author

I’ll look at creating a search interface, but it’d only apply when using the alternate database (I can’t see that there’d be enough value in hacking in such functionality to the TXP Users tab to make it worth the effort at this juncture). In the interim, I assume that you’re aware that one can on any column by clicking on that column header. Those who have never logged in will sort to the top of the stack (note to self – it’d be good to add a visual indicator reflecting sort column and direction).

As for a batch email – I don’t see that as the purview of password_protect, but it wouldn’t be overly difficult for someone to hack such a beast together.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#594 2008-06-13 18:34:26

jstubbs
Website

Hi igner,

Thanks for the reply. Sorting I was not really aware of, since its not very obvious and I never had a use for that as yet, so did not really pay much attention. The search interface is the main thing for me.

Batch email is not important for me, just wondering if it was possible.

Thanks again.

#595 2008-06-19 18:00:04

mikeg
Website

I tried my best to scan through all 60 pages to find an answer so forgive me if this has been covered. Kindly direct me to the right page.

I’m trying to protect an entire site. On every page template I’ve got the following (after the head of the page):

<body>
<txp:ign_show_login />

<txp:ign_if_logged_in>
content...
</txp:ign_if_logged_in>

</body>

Problem is this: In Firefox I can navigate to different sections and use the back button, but when I reload the page I get the “Firefox must resend your data” popup. Same thing in IE, but it won’t even let me use the back button without getting the “Webpage has expired” warning.

Any ideas? Am I just being bonehead stupid and missing something totally obvious? It’s on a .ca subdomain, for what it’s worth. Any help appreciated…

“I love Beethoven. Especially the poems.”
- Ringo Starr

#596 2008-06-27 09:16:48

root

[solved]

Gah, I’m so out of the loop. Didn’t use the ign_password_protect tag. Ignore me, I’m just poking around. Haha

<original post follows>

Hi, am I right in my understanding that ign_if_logged_in only works in pages and not forms? I’m sorry if this question’s been answered before, I’m new to this discussion and it’s 60 pages long ;)

I’d like to use it this way:

<txp:ign_if_logged_in><txp:body /><txp:else>Log in!</txp:else></txp:ign_if_logged_in>

:D

Last edited by root (2008-06-27 09:29:44)

#597 2008-06-29 17:38:48

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Hello,

I am trying to use ign_password plugin on a 4.0.6 version of textpattern but keep on havig problems with that.
The output always shows the login fields with username and password already filled out and the error messages that something is wrong. I kept on trying to find out what that could be but couldnßt solve it.
I think it could be a problem of the textpattern version because i am using 4.0.5 on a different project and there i dont have any problems with that plugin.

Did anyone have the same problem? or have another suggeston how to show content only to specific users?

Would be great if someone could help me with that because i was comparing both projects for hours now and the only difference i see is the textpattern version.

Cheers
Christian

#598 2008-06-29 18:54:02

garbo
Website

Hey Demon. Can you relay the error message you’re seeing? That might give a clue what the deal is.

#599 2008-06-30 08:18:08

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Thx for your fast answer garbo.
Its not a txp error message what i see its just “There was a problem logging in.” as soon as i open the page with the login.

Here is the form that i am using.

<h1><txp:title /></h1>

<txp:ign_password_protect>

secret

</txp:ign_password_protect>

<txp:body />

Weird thing is that whenever i open the page password and username are already inserted. Even if i clear cookies ect. and even if i delete THIS user its still in there with the error message on above.
I have totaly no idea… =(

#600 2008-06-30 12:09:06

garbo
Website

This plug-in at first baffled me because I wasn’t sure how to wrap my brain around the concept of password protecting sections of my page.

Your best bet is NOT to use <txp:ign_password_protect> but rather to use <txp:ign_if_logged_in> along with the <txp:else /> tag.

So the idea is to include BOTH the stuff you need to protect and the stuff you don’t need to protect all on the same page.

For example:

<p>You are logged in. Here is some information only you can see ... </p>

<txp:else />
<p>You are not logged in. Please login to view this page.</p>

</txp:ign_if_logged_in><!-- don't forget to close this conditional statement -->

And then include on the same page a condition that allows people who are not logged in to enter their information AND at the same time, provide a logout link for those who are already signed in to sign out. So elsewhere on the same page, usually small in a side column or at the top of the page:

<txp:ign_current_user /><!-- if the user is logged in, this tag will by default show their name and a logout link -->

<txp:else />
<txp:ign_show_login /><!-- if the user is NOT logged in, this tag will display the form where the user can type in their username and password to login -->

</txp:ign_if_logged_in><!-- close the conditional statement -->

It is important to include two sets of content on the same template or form, one for those logged in and one for those logged out. You can do this for several items on each page, so that maybe you have a different topper or footer for logged-in users and another for those not logged in. Once you set things up this way, it should work like a charm.

I admit that this really tripped me up. I think for developers, this is obvious, so the instructions are not very clear for the rest of us amateurs. I would have liked to have had documentation for this plug-in written in very plain, explicit language for non-programmers because this is not an intuitive way of thinking about how to control the display of your content. But once the light bulb goes on, everything else makes perfect sense and in fact, this is an excellent plug-in that is sorely needed.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Board footer