probably wil make lil difference but try RC4:

http://www.textpattern.com/deanload/

Guidance for install

#62 2005-08-08 13:46:58

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

Re: mem_self_register

june, I would recommend upgrading to RC5 and then downloading version 0.4 of the plugin. In addition to having the literally hundreds of updates to Txp, you shouldn’t have a problem with the plugin.

#63 2005-08-08 13:59:15

june

> Manfre wrote:

> june, I would recommend upgrading to RC5 and then downloading version 0.4 of the plugin. In >addition to having the literally hundreds of updates to Txp, you shouldn’t have a problem with the >plugin.

I was hoping I could wait a little bit before upgrading but I guess I’ll go ahead and give it a try. Where is version 0.4 of the plugin? Or does it automatically install 0.4 when I have the newer version of textpattern?

thanks for your help!

-june

#64 2005-08-08 14:09:05

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

#65 2005-08-08 17:32:20

june

Thanks! I upgraded to RC5 and enabling the plugin is no longer messing up my admin interface. Now I’m going to try setting up the feature on my website. I’ll be back if I have problems with that. :)

thanks.

june

#66 2005-08-09 15:07:01

june

> 1) Can it be made that the admin has to confirm the user registration to stop anyone and everyone
> registering and publishing?

I’m interested in this sort of functionality too. For now I’m just going to alter the email the user recieves after they register. I’ll then have to manually check their name against a list of people that are allowed to register and then email them their password.

Or maybe I could create a password protected page that has the registration form. Distribute the login/pw to peolpe that are allowed to register. Then once they are registered they will never see the that first page again. That might be confusing though and I’m not sure how that would work on my end.

Or I could just register all of the accounts myself. And only use the password protect plugin.

Or if anyone has a better idea, I’m all ears. :)

-june

#67 2005-08-09 15:25:30

igner
Plugin Author

@june – if you’re going to the effort of creating a whitelist, you might as well go ahead and create the accounts, since it amounts to the same thing.

Alternatively, since the admin gets CC’d on the welcome email, just make a note in the welcome email text that the account is subject to approval, set the default permissions to ‘None’ on newly created accounts, and manually change the privs on the accounts that are to be allowed access.

That should work for moderation, I would think.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#68 2005-08-09 15:44:56

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

The default behavior of mem_self_register is to create a new account with no priviliges.

#69 2005-08-09 16:11:36

june

> @june – if you’re going to the effort of creating a whitelist, you might as well >go ahead and create the accounts, since it amounts to the same thing.

good point.

>Alternatively, since the admin gets CC’d on the welcome email, just make a >note in the welcome email text that the account is subject to approval,

right I was planning on doing that.

I think I’m leaning toward just creating the accounts myself. That way the user only gets one email and I can get everyone set up in one shot…instead of having to refer to a list of “allowed users” everytime someone registers.

I guess my ideal feature would to have an extra tab in the textpattern interface, or maybe this could go under the site admin tab….where there is a list of all the registered people …and for people that just regsitered I could hit an “approve” or “reject” button. That would then send an email with the login/password or an email explaining why their registration was not accepted. I’m guessing coding something like that would be pretty involved.

-june

#70 2005-08-11 16:22:55

june

So I am now getting an error message on my advanced pref page that I think is being caused by this plugin. Here is the error message:

Warning: call_user_func(priv_levels): First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home/httpd/vhosts/newdimensionschool.org/subdomains/parents/httpdocs/textpattern/include/txp_prefs.php on line 390

The plugin was already disabled when I got this message. I have already deleted the plugin, because I’m not going to use it anytime soon. I forgot to try enabling the plugin to see if the error message went away.

Anywho I still have the self_reg advanced preferences under my advanced preferences tab even though I have deleted the plugin. How do I get rid of these options? I’m hoping getting rid of these lingering options will resolve the error message.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-june

#71 2005-08-11 18:14:24

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

This error message is caused by the plugin not being loaded (either disabled or deleted). It provides the function priv_levels(), which is used for the pref’s drop down list. It is not possible for a plugin to do any sort of automatic cleanup when it is deleted, so you will have to go in to the txp_prefs table and delete the mem_self entries.

#72 2005-08-11 18:35:55

june

> any sort of automatic cleanup when it is deleted, so you will have to go in to the txp_prefs table and >delete the mem_self entries.

Thanks for letting me know. I changed the mem_self entries to type ‘2’ and that got rid of the error message. I guess I can actually delete them, like you suggested, if I’m not going to be using the plugin.

thanks for your help!

-june

Board footer