Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2007-10-13 02:00:16

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Re: asy_jpcache 0.9.8 - Fast Full Page Caching

@Joe: As far as I know, asy_jpcache has never cleared its cache on a page-by-page basis. Instead, even small changes to a site — adding one comment or editing one article — will cause the entire cache to be emptied. I’m pretty sure that page-by-page cache invalidation wouldn’t be possible without the addition of some kind of caching API hooks in the Textpattern core.

• Posting a single comment invalidates the entire cache.

I’m testing by changing the title of my pages via source code and seeing what circumstances lead to the new title being reflected on the page I’m testing.

Reducing $JPCACHE_TIME to 30 seconds never resulted in the new title showing, even after 30 seconds, but simply re-saving the page template caused the new title to load.

I’m not really clear what your process is here. How are you changing page titles and committing those changes without saving the page template? Are you editing the template directly in the database?

#110 2007-10-13 23:01:40

jtlapp
Website

Thanks for the response. I’m not feeling as crazy.

I’m not really clear what your process is here. How are you changing page titles and committing those changes without saving the page template? Are you editing the template directly in the database?

I wrote my own title tag (txp:jtl_page_title) and am changing its source code. I load the page in my browser, change what txp:jtl_page_title returns as the title, and then keep reloading the browser page until the new title shows.

The new title only shows if I add a comment or change a template, etc. It seems that the cache ignores the auto-refresh time and never refreshes until the next change to the database. But surely someone with a dynamic page would have detected this.

~joe

#111 2007-10-14 01:31:46

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

jtlapp wrote:

I wrote my own title tag (txp:jtl_page_title) and am changing its source code. I load the page in my browser, change what txp:jtl_page_title returns as the title, and then keep reloading the browser page until the new title shows.

The asy_jpcache plugin ‘knows’ when to clear the cache by watching for certain callback events provided by the Textpattern core. When you do things like save an article, form template, page template, or comment it goes “aha, time to clear the cache.”

I haven’t checked the source to make sure, but based on my experience the plugin isn’t keeping an eye on any events related to installing, activating, deactivating, or editing plugins. For those kinds of changes, you’ll need to clear the cache manually. You can find a more detailed list of the situations in which the cache is cleared (along with some other technical details) in the asy_jpcache documentation.

#112 2007-10-14 02:41:03

jtlapp
Website

I haven’t checked the source to make sure, but based on my experience the plugin isn’t keeping an eye on any events related to installing, activating, deactivating, or editing plugins.

Right. But in my case I’m using the “plugin directory path” in the advanced options. I’m just editing a file in a directory, not doing any sort of install or edit through TxP. TxP definitely does not detect the change. It’s simply loading the file. That’s why I’m doing it this way.

For those kinds of changes, you’ll need to clear the cache manually.

But the point was to test for the auto-expiration that you can configure through jpcache-config.php. I’m intentionally making a change that TxP cannot detect in order to test auto-expiration. Auto-expiration doesn’t seem to work, hence my post. Savvy?

~joe

#113 2007-10-15 22:32:34

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

jtlapp wrote:

But the point was to test for the auto-expiration that you can configure through jpcache-config.php. I’m intentionally making a change that TxP cannot detect in order to test auto-expiration. Auto-expiration doesn’t seem to work, hence my post. Savvy?

Ah! Okay, I didn’t understand quite what you were getting at there. Now that I do, though, I’m not sure I can help you. I’ve never had any trouble with cache expiration myself, and I don’t know enough about the guts of jpcache to tell you why it might not be working for you.

My first suggestion would be to try sorting this out with your hosting company’s support department. If it’s not happening for anyone else, it’s probably a server configuration fluke of some kind. If you are the support department (i.e. self-hosted or a dedicated server plan), then you might try getting in touch with the plugin’s author.

Sorry I can’t be more help, but I do wish you luck. If you find out what was causing the problem, please post the solution here for others who might need it. Thanks. :-)

#114 2007-10-15 23:10:23

jtlapp
Website

Thanks for your help! I did find an advanced options item for determining whether adding a comment is supposed to update the entire site. I haven’t putzed with it yet to see if that localizes cache invalidation. ~joe

#115 2007-10-16 02:59:39

kimguan

Legoleptic, thanks for your reply in #107. Have edited URL for security as you pointed out. Typical newbie mistake, I suppose – duh!

Will try asy_jpcache again, but the error message, although benign, really bugs me. As noted in earlier posts, the plugin has a few known bugs that need fixing. Seem to work for me, otherwise.

A heads up to those who are using asy_jpcache AND are using plugins to serve different content to different browsers (e.g. ako_if_browser), as I was (e.g. transparent PNGs to modern browsers, transparent GIFs to others). You will need to find some other way of achieving this (e.g. using Microsoft’s conditional comment statements) because the cached content may not be the correct one.

At the moment experimenting with zem_cache. I know the two were created with different needs in mind — asy_jpcache caches entire pages, zem_cache caches parts of pages — but is there any practical difference between the two if I use zem_cache to wrap my entire page template? Anyone have any insight into this, either from a technical or performance perspective?

#116 2008-02-06 05:52:22

kimguan

Anyone up to updating the plug-in admin interface for txp 4.0.6? Everything else seems to work as normal (glitches and all) :-).

#117 2008-03-13 08:08:45

FireFusion

Anyone? This is a great plugin I don’t see why it does become community maintained.

#118 2008-03-13 14:11:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

This is just the plug-in itself. Everything else remains the same. asy_jpcache.txt

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#119 2008-03-13 16:57:54

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

FireFusion

Anyone? This is a great plugin I don’t see why it does become community maintained.

If a glaring incompatibility that affects many people is found, I’m sure someone will adopt this. The plugin is just to useful to die completely. Meanwhile, we’ll all have to cope with the non-catastrophic glitches. :-\

Sencer’s recent absence from the forums is a cause for concern, I think. This and asy_wondertag are among the core plugins that I rely on regularly.

thebombsite wrote:

This is just the plug-in itself. Everything else remains the same. asy_jpcache.txt

Is this just patched for the 4.0.6 tab issue, or does it include the other glitch fixes as well?

#120 2008-03-13 17:20:44

artagesw
Website

I could be persuaded to adopt this plugin if the original author no longer wishes to support it and is willing to transfer responsibility for it. I use asy_jpcache in production and am fairly familiar with it.

Board footer