Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2005-10-30 23:50:57

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] upm_quicktags: Implement Alex King’s Quicktags

É is still a real letter though, albeit not english. Even $&* or regular spaces can convey textual meaning, whereas this is a character purely for markup purposes. Out of curiosity, have you tried the other kinds of spaces, like em space and so on, do they also not work?

#110 2005-10-31 00:19:18

Jeremie
Website

In french, the nbsp has real markup meaning (it is used with some punctuation).

Nope I haven’t test the other one, mainly because they have no browser support as far as I can tell (si I can’t tell if it worked or not).

#111 2005-10-31 08:58:01

Niconemo

[ :D There are even about 14 different spaces in good DTP typography (not only in french in fact, and not ony in roman languages). ]

The non breakable space is a basic essential character in many languages… But you’re right when you say it is not a character like the others (it should but it is not). Up to now, every text or DTP software has it’s own different solution for the problem, it’s own keyboard shortcut… Though, in unicode it is a real character.

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-10-31 09:26:48)

Nico

#112 2005-10-31 09:08:39

Niconemo

I wrote the textile extension so any shortcomings are my fault not Mary’s. I just piggyback on her great work.
I’ve been meaning to do a new version that will output textile for links and images. They just need special functions written and I wasn’t 100% sure how to approach it when I released it the first time. I’ll see if I can get to that soon.

Thank you for all ;-)

Nico

#113 2005-11-02 03:21:27

maniqui
Website

mary, when you release a new version of this plug-in, could it be possible to specify if the update is just in upm_quicktags.txt or in the upm_quicktags folder (the one that has all the necessary files that need to be upload to /textpattern/folder) or in both?

I would really appreciate that.
Thank you again.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#114 2005-11-02 03:23:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

It’s usually both. I can’t remember when it wasn’t (though that doesn’t necessarily mean anything).

#115 2005-11-30 21:42:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Followed the WYSIWYG thread to this great plugin, thanks Mary.

I have a question, bear with me, I’m a bit new to Textpattern.

The plugin buttons output HTML and there is an addon to output Textile based tags. I’m familiar with HTML and bbcode but I’m a newbie when it comes to Textile. Textpattern seems to be geared towards Textile usage and like the saying goes, if in Rome do as the Romans do.

So would it be better to get used to Textile, by installing the addon or just stick with HTML? I guess I’m not as familiar with the inner workings at the moment. Rather than come to the realization some 100 posts down the line, it would be better to start off with one method and stick with it.

Thanks.

#116 2005-12-01 00:55:15

hakjoon
Website

In the end Textile is just another way to markup your content. I like Textile over HTML simply because I find it easier to read and easier to markup by hand.

You don’t lose anything by not using Textile. The Textile addon is also not complete. I need to get in gear and finish images and links.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#117 2005-12-01 01:23:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks hakjoon, just needed to get an idea of my options.

What I do know is I’ll have to learn Textile to use this forum ;)

#118 2005-12-01 02:49:11

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Textile is just a basic html “shorthand”. So it will never be as good as using html itself. Whether that will ever be an issue for you greatly depends upon the kind of content you’re writing. You certainly don’t have to use Textile.

An existing feature is that markup mode is saved for each article, so you can easily use Textile, then switch it off for a certain article, go back to use textile, and so on.

An upcoming feature will be the ability to use custom markup scripts, so you could alternatively use Markdown and/or SmartyPants (the PHP versions, of course), or WordPress’ “auto-p” or something completely original of your own.

#119 2005-12-01 03:43:05

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary,

I was exploring the database and see that the article is saved in the form you entered it and in html. This is rather nice, makes it easy to export the article, which was my main concern.

offtopic: Is there an explanation of the database tables & fields?

#120 2005-12-01 04:46:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Not that I know of. If you’re familiar with SQL, you can view the table schemas within /textpattern/setup/txpsql.php. Otherwise, you can ask about particular fields you’re curious about, as there are several of us who can tell you what they are for.

Board footer