Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-03-24 08:19:33

nimnix
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [contrib] Please reward the plugin authors with comments on textpattern.org !

I like the organization of textpattern.org. It’s pretty straightforward. Good work :)

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
textpattern.net :: TextBook – Textpattern wiki

#26 2005-03-24 09:02:45

andreas
Website

Re: [contrib] Please reward the plugin authors with comments on textpattern.org !

I just wanted to add some more plugins when I realised that there is already a huge number of them on textpattern.org; what I didn’t realise so far was that in the plugins section there are more than 3 pages and that you have to use “previous” to get to the older ones;

I’d been looking at the plugnis section regularly but since it seemed to me that there are no new plugins and always three pages of them I didn’t bother.

Would you agree that the total number of pages should be made clear in the bottom nav?

#27 2005-03-24 09:19:01

davidm

Andreas, I have also started to check for missing plugins, and indeed there are already à lot of plugin, 129 to be exact, on textpattern.org.

My method is the following :
  • I go to the archive
  • I am checking plugins author by author first by running a search of each author in the plugin section of the forum versus the list in the archive
  • when a plugin is missing, I check it out and get all the relevant info

I have done tmacwrig and osei so far and got 12 missing plugins, which I will add shortly. First I have to check that some of those are not integrated in 1.0, and run through threads to check issues, revision, dropped or not plugin, broken links… whatever relevant info there might be.

When I am done with the author method, I’ll check the forum for the remaining plugin.

As for the bottom nav displaying the total number of pages, it would be nice, yes (but I don’t know yet if the plugin has this feature).

Last edited by davidm (2005-03-24 09:21:34)

.: Retired :.

#28 2005-03-24 16:55:38

alicson
Website

David, thanks so much.. your enthusiasm is very appreciated.

nimnix, thanks for the compliment.. and about hesitating to post things because the information might be too elementary or incorrect — i don’t think any minor hacks or little tips can be too elementary or small to be useful to others. and if in doubt about validity, run it through the forum and see if anyone claims a better way.. but i think it’s better to have the information posted and available for others to either use or to correct, instead of that information not being available at all.

i has kind of surprised me how many things i’ve come across that are not mentioned on the foru at all — if not at the forum, then where would we find it?
to date, textpattern.org has 129 plugins, 33 mods and hacks, 18 templates and references thereto, 21 tutorials, and 30 tips. that’s a pretty good collection, i think, but it definitely needs to be more complete (and information updated along the way) to be the most reliable first-stop resource.

the Resource site has been thoroughly useful just for myself…
whenever i need a plugin or want to check documentation or need links, i just pull up the Archive list or run a quick search on the site, and it generally has the answer or can point me to it. if it’s not there, then i try to find it elsewhere and add it so that it will be easily accessible for me (and everyone else, of course) next time.

and as I said, there are a number of changes that could/should be made to the site when possible.. some are cosmetic and organizational but several are functional things that will probably need new plugins or mods.. (questions and suggestions are always invited.) but meanwhile, content really is the most important thing.

Last edited by alicson (2005-03-24 20:08:34)

docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#29 2005-03-24 16:59:15

nimnix
Archived Plugin Author
Website

One thing that seems to be missing is which version of Textpattern these plugins will work with. A lot of them were written for pre-RC3 builds and either will not work or are not necessary with RC3.

If I had RC3 (I know…appalling that I don’t, I’m working on it), I’d help test these things.

I’m actuallly using a plugin that was missing from the list (because the link is dead now), a punbb info plugin that pulled stats from the forum.

Boy is it a nightmare trying to move an old plugin from one database to another.

I found plugins through textpattern.org I didn’t even know about. Maybe a more formal submission process is in order? From my experience (Quality Assurance infects everything), documentation should go through a form of fact-checking. While this is difficult to organize in a community-run project like this, at some point it should be done.

Of course, I guess comments on the articles will help article authors know whether their work is correct, or there’s a better way, etc.

I’ll go run my tip through the forum then…no better fact-checking than that eh?

Last edited by nimnix (2005-03-24 17:07:52)

#30 2005-03-24 17:00:46

alicson
Website

regarding posting plugins: if you know what versions of textpattern they can run on, please do post that… otherwise, don’t dwell on it as the information will turn out. if the plugin does not work on RC3/1.0, it should still be posted! just clearly state that it will not work on version xx, or does work on version xx (if you know that information).

andreas, thanks for mentioning that; i will figure a brief way to put the number section articles on each page… maybe sometime soon there can be a small blitz movement to revamp the structure of the site…

meanwhile, what are your recommendations for making the Archive link clear and inviting? because that’s probably the most useful page right now (and search is essential too)..

*edit: i added the article count to the section navigation at the top… do you think that works? will it become apparent enough that the count refers to the number of articles?

Last edited by alicson (2005-03-24 17:19:00)

docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#31 2005-03-24 19:57:45

nimnix
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Authors of plugins can specify what version they wrote the plugin for (what it was tested on). If others have tried it on other versions, they can comment on their results.

(As if we don’t all have 3 different versions and 18 different testbeds to try these on hehe.)

my tip of the day
using article tags for plugin parameters

If there’s a better way to do this, let me know, since php looks ugly in a form.

#32 2006-02-12 03:37:42

jamiew
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Among other txp-related sites, I made a Firefox search plugin for textpattern.org

Links to the relevant mycroft pages at: http://www.tramchase.com/software/232/firefox-search-plugins

Board footer