Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2005-03-21 19:25:32

nimnix
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [contrib] Please reward the plugin authors with comments on textpattern.org !

Every textpattern site I’ve made (except one) has details and links to the resources I used to build the site. This is partially because I love all things web-tech related, and partially because I like to give credit where it’s due.

There are problems I notice with any documentation effort that doesn’t have a person who’s job it is to lead it:

When it’s a hobby or a project of love, you don’t have time to comb the various resources every day.

There is no real central submission process for people who build tools or come up with new ideas.

There is little or no standard practice for documentation or programming.

Everyone doing this has other jobs that take up their time, since this effort doesn’t pay for itself. Plugin writers aren’t the only ones sacrificing time and energy to bring useful things to the community.

It’s not just up to the people who run the resource sites, it’s up to us. We can just as easily tell them when we write something or figure something out that has been bugging people.

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
textpattern.net :: TextBook – Textpattern wiki

#12 2005-03-21 19:26:50

Niloc

Re: [contrib] Please reward the plugin authors with comments on textpattern.org !

I think if you look on all the forum threads where the plugins are released you will find lots of comments by users thanking the author and providing suggestions.

Is there really a need to post comments on both the forum and textpattern.org? I sure don’t think so since textpattern.org just links back to the forum.

#13 2005-03-21 21:28:16

zero
Website

I posted my thanks on Let’s See Yours Then when I launched my site. So people could maybe relate the plugins to how they are used on the site. However, most people only looked at the home page so only a few were perhaps interested in how the site worked.

And the plugin authors maybe didn’t see the thanks so I think it’s a good idea to say thanks on textpattern.org, David, and Alicson, it’s a great site! And everybody who has ever answered a question of mine on the forums, THANK YOU! And everybody who has written something useful and I have used it, THANK YOU! This is a great community although it has its faults. I think it’s best to glance fleetingly at the faults and gaze in awe at the good stuff.

Wondrous Healing 3 wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#14 2005-03-21 21:39:21

Andrew
Plugin Author

Thanks are nice and appreciated; suggestions/feature requests are not very useful on textpattern.org since there is still no way to subscribe to comments in Txp. There is no way for me to know if a suggestion is ever made unless the post is made to the forum thread or my personal site.

#15 2005-03-21 21:40:09

davidm

Niloc wrote: I think if you look on all the forum threads where the plugins are released you will find lots of comments by users thanking the author and providing suggestions. Is there really a need to post comments on both the forum and textpattern.org? I sure don’t think so since textpattern.org just links back to the forum.

Yeah it’s true that there’s a link back to the forum. I agree the forum should remain the technical discussion around plugins to provide feedback to the plugin writer.

But if there’s to be a central repository, I guess comments are a way to provide rating and indicate if and how it has been useful (e.g provide context). Plus I am assuming that newcomers will likely use textpattern.org than the forum (because of the massive amount of data here).

So there is no need per say, but I guess it’s just my view of things. I am the first to agree that the forums and the community here are great, it just struck me that there were no comments on most plugins on textpattern.org.

Edit :

Andrew wrote: Thanks are nice and appreciated; suggestions/feature requests are not very useful on textpattern.org since there is still no way to subscribe to comments in Txp. There is no way for me to know if a suggestion is ever made unless the post is made to the forum thread or my personal site.

A very good Point.

I guess textpattern.org could still benefit some insight from users comment on the use of a specific plugin. Is it easy to set up ? What use did we have of a particular plugin ?

Just throwing a few ideas here…

Last edited by davidm (2005-03-21 21:51:50)

.: Retired :.

#16 2005-03-21 21:49:29

Niloc

> davidm wrote:

> bq. Niloc wrote: I think if you look on all the forum threads where the plugins are released you will find lots of comments by users thanking the author and providing suggestions. Is there really a need to post comments on both the forum and textpattern.org? I sure don’t think so since textpattern.org just links back to the forum.

Yeah it’s true that there’s a link back to the forum. I agree the forum should remain the technical discussion around plugins to provide feedback to the plugin writer. But if there’s to be a central repository, I guess comments are a way to provide rating and indicate if and how it has been useful (e.g provide context). Plus I am assuming that newcomers will likely use textpattern.org than the forum (because of the massive amount of data here).

So there is no need per say, but I guess it’s just my view of things. I am the first to agree that the forums and the community here are great, it just struck me that there were no comments on most plugins on textpattern.org.

I agree that textpattern.org is a great site. I just find it more beneficial to use it to find the plugins, and then to post comments on the forum threads that are linked from textpattern.org. I personally don’t check comments on textpattern.org and I don’t think many others do either. Which is why I feel it’s better to use the forum links which are linked from the site.

But that is just my opinion.

#17 2005-03-21 21:58:34

davidm

Niloc wrote : I agree that textpattern.org is a great site. I just find it more beneficial to use it to find the plugins, and then to post comments on the forum threads that are linked from textpattern.org. I personally don’t check comments on textpattern.org and I don’t think many others do either. Which is why I feel it’s better to use the forum links which are linked from the site. But that is just my opinion.

Now you’re all going to convince me and make me look like a fool ;)
All these points are quite valid.

Maybe then have a rating system for textpattern.org ?

.: Retired :.

#18 2005-03-22 00:34:21

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

I don’t think it’s a good idea to clutter textpattern.org with messages like “awesome plugin!!!!”. It just adds noise to the page.

#19 2005-03-22 01:49:27

cziggurat
Plugin Author

Speaking of the forums, I don’t know if any great deal of thought went into the system, but IMHO, <a href=“http://newsboard.unclassified.de/forum.php”>UNB</a> is a whole lot nicer.

#20 2005-03-22 04:02:18

Baseline_Benny
Plugin Author
Website

> nimnix wrote:

> Every textpattern site I’ve made (except one) has details and links to the resources I used to build the site. This is partially because I love all things web-tech related, and partially because I like to give credit where it’s due.

Good idea.

My personal site has a link to textpattern in the sidebar, but doesn’t mention that it’s the CMS used

My business site now has (since reading this thread) a Credits link in the footer.

Over the course of a few days, I’ll update the other sites to include at least one link somewhere.

Life is what you make it… if nothing changes, nothing changes.
Web hosting http://dynamicwebhosting.com.au/
Web dev & marketing http://wallishamilton.com/

Board footer