Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2005-04-15 00:49:29

Matt
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

I’m using a single instance of the tag on my photos page and the rest all happens automagically, from the main page, to the photoset view, to the individual images.

Just one tag in the page template.

#50 2005-04-15 01:27:07

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I don’t really know. I’ve just started php programming and digging into textpattern. Good if it works, isn’t it? Just let me know if something doesn’t work, that will encourage me to do something.

Last edited by larf (2005-04-15 09:59:06)

#51 2005-04-15 23:21:00

blumie607
Website

Okay. Thanks.

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#52 2005-04-16 05:32:45

soulship
Website

I finally got this installed for my wife and it works flawlessly….

Thanks!
Jamie

#53 2005-04-16 11:48:49

andreas
Website

larf, I’ll be bold and make some suggestions/requests for future functions:

• On the fotopage that I built by hand I have a list of all albums in the sidebar, I tried to replicate this with vdh_flickr but it doesn’t work because the plugin always “synchronizes” its picture display, i.e. if I have all thumbnails in the main page area, I also have them in the sidebar. So it would be great to have the ability to display a list of fotosets, preferably with or without the set picture. The cream on top of this would be if the current fotoset was highlighted in that list (e.g. class=“current”)
  • To make the display easier to customize the plugin could use a set of tags that go into a TXP form. Thus, the user could decide, if he wants the name of the picture above or below it, where the next/prev buttons should go etc. Also, the user could name the wrapping divs according to taste.
  • If the form thing is too complicated, I’d suggest separating the set name from the prex/next buttons so that there is at least some more flexibility with styling them.

Now, that’s a heck of a feature set to demand. Just thought I’ll let you know my thoughts. It’s a great plugin but with some added features (I do acknowledge that the plugin is still young) it could become the number one album solution for TXP.

If you want to know what I mean, a look at my foto section might clarify things.

#54 2005-04-16 14:33:25

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Wow, some great ideas!
The form thing is indeed complicated, and university will start again on Monday. So I don’t know when I will be able to realize it. But it’s a thing that I would like to implement, because I always liked this feature when I still used albumpattern. So I will do this, but no idea when.

Version 0.7 is done now and comes with the following features:
  • clean url support (/gallery/set/123456/img/1234567)
  • possibility to show the number of comments and a link to post comments
  • link the individual images not only to custom urls but also to the image on flickr.com, to the flickr.com image details page or the original sized image (directly to the jpg)

Check the help file for details. You will have to change your .htaccess to enable clean url support, but I’m not very experienced with it. So if you have recommendations how I could improve my rules, please tell me so.

The demo site www.rvdh.net is updated and working fine with clean url support.

#55 2005-04-16 18:55:50

blumie607
Website

Wow.

It just keeps getting better. Great work!

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#56 2005-04-16 20:25:36

andreas
Website

Wow, larf. You’re fast. Thanks.

#57 2005-04-19 20:12:58

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Today I saw a php error message on all my sites using vdh_flickr. That is because I never experienced a downtime of flickr myself, so I just guessed flickr would not send any xml if it’s down. But it does in fact send an xml error message.

As a result of this I’ve updated the plugin to version 0.7.1, which does handle complete downtimes (no xml at all) and xml error messages. So no ugly php error any more.

#58 2005-04-25 17:33:30

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hello everybody!

I don’t have the time to make several releases a week any more, but at least I’ve been doing something in the last time.
I said before that I wanted vdh_flickr to understand forms, and I must say I’m coming along quite well with it.
In order to show you what is possible, I created a second Demo section <a href=“http://www.rvdh.net/vdh_flickr/Demo2”>here</a> on the vdh_flickr page.
It is imitating the html of <a href=“http://www.andreas-kalt.de/fotos/”>Andreas’ site</a>. On my demo this is not nice to look at, because I did not copy the css. So looking at the demo only makes sense if you want to compare the html produced by the demo of vdh_flickr with the original one of Andreas.

The following code in the article was used:
EDIT: Code removed, works differently now.

If you have been satisfied with the look of your photos section, you can still use vdh_flickr like you used to, for example with only a vdh_flickr tag. The form mode is only for further customization.

If no form is specified, the default look (like in version 0.7) is used.

So you can even combine the default look with the new conditional tags.

You see that elements that occur only one time on a page go into the article or the page template, elements that occur repeatedly go into a form.
And if you want to use any of the new tags, you have to put a vdh_flickr_env tag at the beginning (before you use any other tag).

I’d be glad to hear your input and recommendations on these features. I don’t want to talk about an ETA yet, but I guess I will be able to release this within the next two weeks. And you can always email me for current beta version.

Last edited by larf (2005-05-02 15:21:34)

#59 2005-04-25 18:56:40

andreas
Website

larf, this looks great. I didn’t expect to have my wishes fulfilled so closely ;-)

However, I don’t get the new thing to work.

I created the two forms and copied everything in my article but nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Board footer