Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#193 2005-10-27 09:35:13

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

I don’t live in the US, so printing is not available for me. Furthermore the api does not offer any functions for printing yet. But if you want you can discuss what you would expect of printing support in the plugin. As soon as the flickr api is ready for this, I would be happy to integrate it into the plugin.

#194 2005-10-31 02:59:28

photonomad
Website

This is the method I have employed to ‘feature’ an image on my homepage…

<code><txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid=“32353423@N00” tags=“feature” random=“1” thumbnails_form=“Home_Image” thumbnail_size=‘n’ /></code>

…. the only problem is that my vdh_flickr galleries are set up to be viewed in a section called “work” and use a page other than the default page. I would love it if there was a way to either “turn off” the link from this featured thumbnail OR change the link to display this image’s set in a specified section (other than the default homepage). Bottom line… it would be a neat add-on to build in a way to feature one image (by a specified tag) on the homepage… and even have a way to work in the image’s description. —- this image would be a teaser link to either that particular image’s set (thumbnail list) or to the preview page (list of sets) where the other vdh_flickr galleries are located.

Just wanted to see if this might be an option in a future release of vdh_flickr.

Thanks again Larf. This is a great plugin.

- stacey

Last edited by photonomad (2005-10-31 04:56:50)

#195 2005-11-04 18:35:41

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve had email contact with photonomad and I will implement many of her suggestions. But this is still my hobby, and I’m very busy right now.

So don’t expect a new release soon.

#196 2005-11-07 18:44:41

photonomad
Website

Here I go again… I’m so happy about this plugin that I just can’t stop brainstorming. So Larf, I am just going to throw this out there for future consideration as well… (no pressure though… I know you are busy)

1)
I’ve have a site with several gallery sections. In some of the sections, there is currently only one flickr set. In the main navigation for the site I have manually linked to the section/?set=flickrsetnumber because I want the user to go directly to the thumbnails page (saves them an extra click). It would be useful if in a situation where only one set is returned AND a new attribute such as soloset=“thumbnails” is used — then vdh_flickr would return the single set using the thumbnail form (skipping the preview page). That way, I could make the navigation links to each section and not have to worry about manually linking to a particular set in order to bypass the preview page.

#197 2005-11-07 18:50:10

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

<txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid="12345678N00” set=“1234567” />@

Is that what you mean?

#198 2005-11-07 19:09:13

photonomad
Website

One more idea/request…

2)
I have attached a couple of articles to a flickr set. The way I went about this was to call an individual set in an article body and then use the article’s excerpt as a holding place for the articles I want attached to that flickr set. I “attached” the articles by assigning them to a category unique to that flickr set. This is the tag I placed in the excerpt in order to call those articles:
<txp:article_custom section=“description” category=“engel-blanchard-young” form=“gallery_description” />

I had to create a separate section “description” for these articles so that they would not show up on the preview page amongst the flickr sets in that gallery section. Now, if anyone out there has a more elegant/efficient solution — please let me know.

My idea (for getting around all of the hassle of categorizing and placing tags in excerpts and having to call a set via an article for no other reason than to include artlcles with it) would be to use a custom field to enter the flickr set number for an article. When a set is being displayed individually (which would probably mean the thumbnails page) the articles with that set’s number will appear on the page where perhaps a new vdh_flickr tag like: <code><txp:vdh_flickr_article_custom section=“flickrarticles” form=“flickrarticleform” /></code> is located.

This would streamline a non-technical user’s ability to include wordy text/stories with particular flickr sets AND… using vdh_flickr_article_custom… the article would appear with it’s set regardless of section. Ignoring the section is very useful for me… because it would enable me list all of the sets in one section (like an index of all galleries) and also list particular sets in more subject-matter specific sections — while ensuring that the articles that go with particular sets will be seen regardless of section.

any other vdh_flickr users have thoughts on this?

Ok, now I’ll try to go easy on the ideas/requests for a while. : )

Thanks,
Stacey

#199 2005-11-07 19:22:05

photonomad
Website

> larf wrote:

> <txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid="12345678N00” set=“1234567” />@

Is that what you mean?

Well, gosh Larf, I am so sorry. I didn’t think that all the way through! (Thought I had, but I didn’t) What I wanted, doesn’t make sense, given that an nsid can contain sets… but not groups of sets. I suppose the ONLY situation where my request (to automatically skip to the thumbnails page) might be used is when an nsid is called with mode=“all” and there is currently only one set for that account. But that doesn’t warrant an addition to the plugin.

Ok, scratch that one off the list! Sorry, my brain has been over-thinking vdh-flickr.

#200 2005-11-08 17:08:44

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

The old version has been downloaded more than 100 times, so I guess it’s time for a new release. Nothing exciting this time, only one bug fixed if your php version was compiled without curl support, and from now on please use <txp:vdh_flickr_set_link><txp:vdh_flickr_set_title /></txp:vdh_flickr_set_link> instead of just <txp:vdh_flickr_set_title />, which was automatically linked to the set before. This will allow you to link back to the set from any text, not only the set title.

Download

Unfortunately, I have less than little time at the moment, so there won’t be any new versions soon. I hope to implement some new stuff during the days between Christmas and New Year’s eve.

#201 2005-11-08 17:21:39

Niconemo

The old version has been downloaded more than 100 times, so I guess it’s time for a new release

lol you must be some kind of saint… or a super hero… or an E.T. or something weird but friendly

;-) thank you larf

Last edited by Niconemo (2005-11-08 17:23:06)

Nico

#202 2005-11-08 18:46:19

andreas
Website

Thanks larf.

#203 2005-11-08 20:47:20

Zeerus
Website

this is a great plugin. I was using it, but took it down recently so it didn’t interfere with my sidebar. If I wasn’t too lazy to put it in it’s own div element I’d probably still be using it. Anyway, nice job, the only think I’d like to see is clean URLs.

[url=http://webfuziondesign.com/textonic]Textonic – Design and Digital Culture[/url]

Board footer