Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2005-08-25 17:28:13

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

Back from sailing now. Will look through all those issues soon!

#122 2005-08-25 18:18:23

blumie607
Website

Okay. Sounds great, larf!

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#123 2005-08-25 18:29:28

arkham
Website

Is there any advantage to using this as a means for a site gallery if I’m not currently using flickr?

#124 2005-08-26 08:54:13

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well, it’s ONE possible gallery solution. And I think it is highly customizable and easy to use, once you have a flickr account, especially uploading. But don’t forget that a flickr pro account costs money, but in my opinion it’s worth it.

#125 2005-08-30 14:10:20

Teducation

Hi Larf – Welcome back from your studies!

Here is what I’m trying to do with vdh_flickr:

In my textpattern site I have a section called ‘photos’. Every time I add a new Photo Set to Flickr I want to post a new entry (‘article’) to the ‘photos’ section, which would be dated and archived just like any other article, including the vdh_flickr tag it contains to display a specific Photo Set, as well as including some text to describe the set. My article text looks like this (these represent two separate articles):

——————-
Article 1

These two Thai grandmothers did a whirlwind tour of Singapore when they came to visit us in September 2004. I could barely keep up with them!

txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid=“27547644@N00” set=“550292” text_previous_img_link_text=“previous photo” text_next_img_link_text=“next photo” />

——————-
Article 2

This is beautiful model Tessa who did a very nice photo-shoot in Chinatown, Singapore in August 2005.

txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid=“27547644@N00” set=“793532” text_previous_img_link_text=“previous photo” text_next_img_link_text=“next photo” />

——————

I run into trouble when more than 2 or 3 articles containing vdh_flickr tags are posted to my ‘photos’ section. vdh_flickr seems to get confused and can’t tell the sets apart. This section is set to display 5 articles per page.
<b>

Also, clicking on a photo sometimes results in this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/tuktu/public_html/teducation4/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(429) : eval()’d code on line 740

Am I limited to using only one vdh_flickr ‘article’ style of posting per section? I ask because i haven’t seen any other sites set up this way.

Here is my test site: http://www.tuktuk.com.sg/teducation4/photos/

Thanks, Larf

Ted from Singapore

Last edited by Teducation (2005-08-30 14:47:27)

#126 2005-08-30 22:56:06

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve started working on the plugin again, updating parts of the code and documentation. So you can download beta7 now.

This release brings some changes, so read the updated documentation carefully. Most important change: No more “show_…” attributes, you have to copy, paste and edit a form to achieve this functionality from now on.

It’s still incomplete work, but now that I have some time on my handy I will be able to react quickly to any bug reports or feature requests.

I wanted to show you some pictures and videos of our exciting, venturous and funny sailing trip, but the cd I burnt on my friend’s pc wasn’t readable. But there are some photos of me and him and our girlsfriends motorboating last Sunday.

@ Teducation: I will look at your problem tomorrow. Enough txp for today…

#127 2005-09-01 14:02:36

hannes.muc
Website

First of all: GREAT plugin! THANKS!!!

Some quick questions:

- Is there a way to organize sets in pages? I have ~50 sets, all on one page requires a lot of scrolling…

- I love the idea of tagging and browsing by tags. Unfortunately, your plugin (or is it flickr?) seems to have the limitation that only the first 100 images are returned if called by a /flickr/tags/<thisismytag> url (clean mode). Also, a way to organize that in pages would be quite useful… My tags include the year the photos have been taken, and that number keeps growing per year.

- I am missing a few things, maybe you could add a tag for the date taken (for sets and individual images)? Also, I wasn’t able to output the number of images once the thumbnail listing is used (number of images works fine in sets, but the tag doesn’t seem to work in the thumbnail form). I understand that all this is available through the Flickr page itself, but I don’t want to transfer my people to the Flickr page – mostly because it is only available in English…

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hannes

Last edited by hannes.muc (2005-09-02 10:42:25)

please note that my website is far from being finished… i know it still sucks!

#128 2005-09-01 18:49:17

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@Teducation:
Right, you are limited to use only one gallery per page. The gallery is placed where you put the vdh_flickr tag. So if you have multple vdh_flickr tags on one page to display different thumbnailed sets, this will work, but as soon as you click on one of the images, each of the vdh_flickr tags detect that an image should be displayed. That’s why you see the same image several times.
Unfortunately, I don’t know a way to work around this at the moment.

@hannes.muc
Concerning the 100 pics problem, this is from the flickr api:

per_page (Optional)
Number of photos to return per page. If this argument is omitted, it defaults to 100. The maximum allowed value is 500.

So think I will add the option to organize pictures in pages some time, but I can’t estimate how much work this will be and when it’s done. Nevertheless I could quickly make the number of images returned configurable between 1 and 500, maybe this helps you out a little.

Tags for date taken and date posted should be easy, too.

I will also look at the number of images thing to make it work.

So thanks for your input, I hope much of this stuff will make it into the next beta.

#129 2005-09-02 08:13:32

hannes.muc
Website

Sounds great, thanks.

#130 2005-09-06 10:52:44

sepperl

Hey,
I’ve installed this great plugin but now I’ve got a small problem with the “full image”-mode.
When I clicked on set -> you can see the thumbnails of the set but when i clicked on one thumbnail the browser (firefox) try to load the site (the link is correct: http://www.site.com/?s=photos&set=894929&img=40759895) but only the site with the thumbnails is shown again.
When I changed the link to http://www.site.com/photos/set/894929/img/40759895 an error 404 is shown.
What can I do do make it work?

When i try to load the full image site with the browser safari the error message followed: “Can’t load site. The site … can’t load because of missing data” (free translate).

Another problem is that I want to have the thumbnails as squares so they are looking all the same (same format);
how can I do this? I often see this tool in gallerys in connection with wordpress!

Greets
Sepperl

Last edited by sepperl (2005-09-06 12:36:53)

#131 2005-09-14 14:10:10

hannes.muc
Website

Just another question…
In the code there is a string define for a “these are my latest pics” or something similar, but I cannot find a function for displaying a set of latest (or random) images, e.g. as a teasr…
The idea would be to display the 6 or so (configurable) latest images as thumbs in a side panel or so.

Thanks,
Hannes

#132 2005-09-20 13:15:31

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

New vdh_flickr version online, 0.8beta8.

News:
  • capable of showing private pics
  • new tags for date taken and date posted, uses txp format by default but can be formatted like any date in txp
  • number of images on the thumbnails page
  • vdh_flickr_thumbnails latest=“5” works again, (was broken in last beta, sorry hannes.muc)
  • pagination for thumbnails page, and a handful of new tags for that purpose. The Demo and the example form look ugly, I know, but it shows what can be done. See the example forms in the documentation for information on how to use this.

Most probably this will be the last beta version of vdh_flickr before 0.8 stable. If you guys don’t find any bugs, I will release this same code as 0.8 very soon.

Board footer