1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Plugin: glx_gravatar

#25 2005-05-22 20:07:58

osei
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Plugin: glx_gravatar

ahh, nice idea, maybe it could take a email adress as a argument instead of just using this tag in the comment form.

Johan Nilsson

#26 2005-05-22 20:16:21

Andrew
Plugin Author

Well… you might have to get a little creative in order to make it work in a friendly manner. I don’t think $thiscomment exists at the time forms or templates are parsed, so you could just add an initial check to test for its existence and output in one of two modes, comment mode or article/author mode. Granted, that’s just off the top of my head so that could be flawed… just an idea.

#27 2005-05-22 20:34:46

sekhu
Website

Here’s another gravatar related plugin that may or may not be of interest: http://txfx.net/2005/03/11/wp-gravatar-signup/ It allows a user to sign up for a gravatar at the comment page, althugh it’s WP only.

And here’s the WP implementation for a Post Author Gravatar: http://www.jamiephelps.com/cogentprose/postgravatar/

Hope that helps in some part (though probably not!)

#28 2005-05-23 07:19:19

osei
Plugin Author
Website

Andrew thats true, there must be a check somewhere, maybe it would be best to do a common garavatar function and then use diffrent tags, function to call that function, then you could easily add as many variations you want of the gravatar plugin?

Johan Nilsson

#29 2005-06-06 00:51:23

zenko

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help into this, I hope someone can help me as I am lost here.
I implemented the gravatar plug-in just fine, it shows a default image or the user image if having one.

The problem is that i have live coments using AJAX, so the deal is, when seeing the coments live it does not show the gravatars, but when seeing the post itself it shows them, any ideas in how can I mix this so it shows gravatars all the time ?
I hope I explain myself clear, sorry for the bad english.

you can see an example of what I am talking about and test it yourself here:
http://www.nosoynormal.com/

If you click the post title you go and see comments with gravatars, if you click comments to see them live you don’t, any ideas ?

Thanks.

#30 2005-06-20 07:43:27

graumeister
Plugin Author
Website

hi osei,

with gravatar not working (just now) i found some small problems with the plugin. the first is a warning by getimagesize (no gravatar available, no imagesize ;) which is easily killable with an @. but the plugin at all have no timeout or something like this. it needs very long on on articles with many comments to load the page. maybe it would be advisable to set a constant or something like this, if gravatar at the first request is not available, so the next time it is called, no request is send and maybe only the defaultavatar is served.

i had to disable the plugin for now – its very slow with no gravatar.com working ;)

greetings patrick

Samui? Samui! (about the life as farang in thailand)
David’s Neighbour

#31 2005-06-20 15:06:59

Andrew
Plugin Author

You should probably go grab v0.1 – my changes turned out to be unnecessary and increased performance time. d’oh.

Last edited by Andrew (2005-06-20 15:07:49)

#32 2005-06-24 12:20:36

User61

Does v0.1 display a default gravatar if the commenter don’t have one? I’m currently using v0.2. I thought it was just txp that’s slow. Now I know it’s the gravatar plugin :P. This is a cool plugin, I hope it’ll get updated soon. =)

I was born intelligent, but education ruined me.

#33 2005-07-02 22:54:17

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

So I’d like to get back to what sekhu was discussing or something similar. I have a call to show a returning visitor’s gravatar on the front-page. At the moment it only shows the default gravatar because it is not inside a comment so I’m thinking how can the plug-in be changed to pick up the email address from an existing cookie rather than the comment data so that it can fetch the appropriate gravatar? I believe the global will need changing and also the line that picks up the email address but how one wonders?

I should mention that I already have the code sitting inside an “if_cookie” conditional so it will only be called if there is a cookie in the first place.

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-07-02 22:57:21)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#34 2005-07-03 15:59:55

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well I seem to have managed to sort it out myself. :) First I removed the global line. I wasn’t sure whether it actually should have one but it’s working without. I then changed the line that calls the “email” to this:-
<code>$email = pcs(‘email’);</code>
And it all seems to be working OK so far.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#35 2005-07-03 20:29:49

sekhu
Website

great stuff stu! :)

#36 2005-07-03 21:37:51

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website