Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#253 2005-08-10 15:22:23

Andrew
Plugin Author

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] sgb_url_handler - support all url variations at the same time

Correcting the 404 response bug in Textpattern was listed as one of the major milestones on the Road to 1.0 (that is, when there actually used to be a public roadmap). Now, the roadmap is off-limits and I neither hear nor see any mention of it being fixed any time soon. To me, proper url handling by default is probably one of the most critical bugs in Txp at the moment and I’d like to hear a status report on this ticket.

Note: I’m not trying to start any 1.0 wars here, I’m just looking for a status update.

Last edited by Andrew (2005-08-10 15:23:52)

#254 2005-08-10 16:58:34

reid
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] sgb_url_handler - support all url variations at the same time

I finally got around to trying this out today, and like Jon, found it doesn’t work with RC5. Even with production status set to “live,” I get the following error at the head of the page:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ‘:’ in /home/photodude/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(429) : eval()’d code on line 16
The above errors were caused by the plugin:sgb_url_handler

I agree heartily with Andrew that proper url handling by default is a Big Deal. As far as I can tell now, the new URL schemes are most helpful to someone starting a new site, and pretty much useless to anyone upgrading who’d like to use a new URL scheme, without breaking every link that’s ever been given to them.

Link Rot is a cardinal sin. So, until there’s a workable way to redirect old schemes to new ones, I’m stuck with /section/id/title.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#255 2005-08-10 17:03:05

Andrew
Plugin Author

reid wrote: …until there’s a workable way to redirect old schemes to new ones, I’m stuck with /section/id/title.

That’s precisely the reason why I haven’t switched url schemas since the new formats were made available.

#256 2005-08-10 18:39:48

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Andrew, Sencer has listed a number of things to be sorted and the 404 problem, which I also think is a must, is listed but I have to think as of today that it probably won’t be fixed for 1.0 unless there is a good deal of behind-the-scenes work going on.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#257 2005-08-10 19:35:41

Andrew
Plugin Author

Man, I just can’t keep up with the volume of discussion going on here lately – thanks for that link. And cheese for all!

#258 2005-08-10 20:41:02

els

Can anyone explain why sgb_url_handler is redirecting my old section/id/title url schemes to the new section/title scheme perfectly, and producing 404s, and without errors (at least in production statuses live and testing), in RC5, on three sites?

I’m beginning to think there is something terribly wrong with my sites if this plugin is working…

#259 2005-08-10 20:57:29

reid
Website

I, too, wondered why Jon and I (on different hosts) are getting errors when you seem to have it working fine. It’s been stated this plugin hasn’t been updated for RC5, so there’s no telling why it works for you and not for us.

In terms of fixing this permanently within some 1.0+ release, I’d wondered if it would make it any easier (i.e., quicker to implement with less testing) if you could specify in the preferences not only your preferred current URL scheme, but also the URL scheme you were using previously that you’d like to redirect. I don’t know if removing some variables in that way would make it less complex to code or not.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#260 2005-08-12 20:20:37

els

Finally managed to find a problem with this plugin ;)

I just started using the file download functionality, and found that the download links (e.g. /file_download/2) returned my 404 article. Tried all kinds of things that made no difference, but in the end I found that changing

$config[‘match’] = ‘exact’;

to

$config[‘match’] = ‘best’;

got the download links to work. This however also means that /section/id/title urls are not redirected any longer to /section/title (though both schemes are working now), and something like /section/non-existing-title is leading to the section frontpage instead of to the 404 article.

So, I can live with this, but if there is a way to keep the ‘exact’ match as well as have working download links, I’d love to hear it.

#261 2005-08-12 22:16:28

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well you seemed to be the only one without problems Els. I was wondering what you were doing wrong. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#262 2005-08-12 22:40:07

els

thebombsite wrote:

I was wondering what you were doing wrong. :)

So was I. Still am actually…

#263 2005-08-15 17:41:31

bauhouse
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Anyone have this working in 4.0 yet? The error messages are gone for me now. But I cannot figure out how to get the url mode working again. I am trying to enable the section/category/title urls I had, but the link urls are all falling back to the mode set in the preferences: section/title. This may just be a case of operator error, not understanding how to configure the plugin. Specifically, I don’t know what is meant in the plugin help by using the <txp: /> tag to create the permlinks.

#264 2005-08-15 17:52:36

bauhouse
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ah, I see. This makes a whole lot more sense. I should have read the website. <txp: /> is a typo in the plugin help file. The tag for permlinks should be <txp:sgb_url_handler_permlink></txp:sgb_url_handler_permlink>. Works great, except I would rather the permlink output the category name rather than the title.

Board footer