Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-03-01 19:07:55

mrdale
Website

[request] revisioning module?

Has anyone thought of producing a revisioning plugin for articles. One that would allow you keep/choose/rollback multiple versions of the same aticle? perhaps even a (dare I say) compare?

I used one in drupal that worked pretty well. i have one client who would love this capability.

Just a thought?

#2 2005-03-11 01:04:44

Borisch
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] revisioning module?

Am pondering the same thing as my GF has gotten some wierd ideas about transforming her site.

Will yodle if I hear or create anything =)

Instead of conquering the world, I’m collecting it in my attic.

#3 2005-03-11 01:13:33

Tae

this would be great

#4 2005-05-05 16:39:20

mrdale
Website

Just want to give the old Bumperooski to this topic, because I think a revisioning engine would be, like, extremely useful.

Any takers. Zem? How about a ransom? looks like you’ve got three contributors. ;)

#5 2005-05-05 17:37:46

zem
Developer Emeritus

This (and some related stuff, like multilingual articles) has been discussed as a possible core feature. It’d be very messy to implement as a plugin. Don’t expect it for 1.0, but we’ll look into this at some point.

Alex

#6 2005-05-05 20:50:40

kennethlove666
Website

so Wiki articles? might be useful for tech-oriented sites.

Listen to Kenneth

#7 2005-05-05 21:01:32

zem
Developer Emeritus

I don’t think I’d describe it as Wiki-like, though I’m not very familiar with them. The kind of ideas we discussed involved articles with an arbitrary number of text ‘body’ fields. Those bodies could store different chapters, languages, versions, parts, or whatever.

Alex

#8 2005-05-05 23:07:35

mrdale
Website

>zem said:
I don’t think I’d describe it as Wiki-like, though I’m not very familiar with them. The kind of ideas we discussed involved articles with an arbitrary number of text ‘body’ fields. Those bodies could store different chapters, languages, versions, parts, or whatever.

The revisioning scenario I envision is simpler and a little different. You’d have another button next to save that would be “save a version”. That button would essentially save as, keeping the old version also, but promote the new version to active. There’d be a page that would list all of the versions of that article, allow you to roll-forward and roll-back to newer or older versions.

There was a plugin for Drupal that worked like this, and it was extremely useful.

Thoughts?

#9 2005-05-06 00:49:18

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

He is basically describing the version tracking capabilities of a wiki (or SVN), so if you decide that you don’t like the changed version, you can click a few buttons and you’re back to where it was previously.

#10 2005-05-06 07:54:48

Jeremie
Website

> zem wrote:

The kind of ideas we discussed involved articles with an arbitrary number of text ‘body’ fields. Those bodies could store different chapters, languages, versions, parts, or whatever.

Not only the body, for the multilinguale only you would need a set of cutsom, excerpt, title and so on, per langugage.

#11 2005-05-06 15:08:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

> Jeremie wrote:

Not only the body, for the multilinguale only you would need a set of cutsom, excerpt, title and so on, per langugage.

Fair point. Each body part (heh) would need its own title; and excerpts are just parts with a short body.

Custom fields could also be bodies. That would eliminate the limit of 10 fields and 255 chars.

Other possible things to include with each part would be: a named identifier (e.g. ‘part-3’ or ‘english’ or ‘TOC’, which might perhaps be specified in the URL); charset; language identifier; MIME type; and revision number.

Alex

#12 2005-05-06 15:13:59

mrdale
Website

> Jeremie wrote:

>zem wrote:

The kind of ideas we discussed involved articles with an arbitrary number of text ‘body’ fields. Those bodies could store different chapters, languages, versions, parts, or whatever.

How about the simpler approach of creating multiple articles, finding a way of grouping them together as versions and adding a simple page to administer them (roll-forward/back). Of course diff would be great too, but that’s a whole other order of manitude.

-D

Board footer