Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-05-06 19:38:24

soulship
Website

Re: [request] revisioning module?

Mr. Dale this might be a step in the right direction for what you are looking for.

<a href=“http://textpattern.org/plugins/332/upmsavenew”>upm_save_new</a>

#14 2005-05-06 19:39:40

soulship
Website

Well that really screwwed up;(

#15 2005-05-06 19:39:54

soulship
Website

#16 2005-05-06 19:39:58

soulship
Website

#17 2005-05-06 19:41:08

soulship
Website

UM I think the forum is messed up again………….Sorry.

Oh and By the way, did you get the link ;)

#18 2005-05-06 19:57:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

How about the simpler approach of creating multiple articles, finding a way of grouping them together as versions and adding a simple page to administer them (roll-forward/back).

That’s not simpler. How do you stop grouped articles from showing up multiple times in all the chunks of code that access articles (i.e. dozens of them)? What about plugins? etc.

Alex

#19 2005-05-06 20:08:56

mrdale
Website

> zem wrote:
That’s not simpler. How do you stop grouped articles from showing up multiple times in all the chunks of code that access articles (i.e. dozens of them)? What about plugins? etc.

(Disclaimer:Not well versed in PHP, dabbling in javascript, just learning TXP)

…but
couldn’t a custom field be used to to indicate currently selected revision?

BTW: Thanks soulship that is indeed a good start. If that plugin had an option to:

1. unpublish the previous version
  2. Suffix the previous version’s title with V.x
  3. and save the new version, published and without the suffix.

It would almost do all I’m looking for.

Last edited by mrdale (2005-05-06 20:22:20)

#20 2005-05-06 21:10:32

Jeremie
Website

> zem wrote:

Fair point. Each body part (heh) would need its own title; and excerpts are just parts with a short body.

Yep, you are going further than I was. I was thinking (as in “I was thinking you were thinking” :p) about re-using the current sql settings, but allowing each “sql article” to be a sub-part of a “frontend article”. For example, you need a english and a spanish version ? Simple, you save two article in the sql bd (just as the same as they are saved right now) but you add a simple relationship between them, to say: “this is a translation of that article”, or “this is a previous version of that article”.

If I understood you right, you think more of a complete rewriting of the bd system. Ambitious, but very nice indeed :)

Custom fields could also be bodies. That would eliminate the limit of 10 fields and 255 chars.

As in putting bodies away from the main article table, separate them in another table with a 1<->n relationship ? If that’s not too heavy to handle, that would be nice too ; because you are going to see more and more request about the small size and/or number of custom fields.

Other possible things to include with each part would be: a named identifier (e.g. ‘part-3’ or ‘english’ or ‘TOC’, which might perhaps be specified in the URL); charset; language identifier; MIME type; and revision number.

If you are looking for inspiration or example, Plume-CMS does the first part of this. Each article is subdivided into chapters, and each chapter has it own local title. The URL scheme is handled quite well, and the toc too.

Last edited by Jeremie (2005-05-06 21:11:12)

#21 2005-05-06 21:16:33

Jeremie
Website

> mrdale wrote:

…but
couldn’t a custom field be used to to indicate currently selected revision?

If I were designing a “revision plugin”, I think I would choose to duplicate the TXP article’s table. Hook into the write/save function in the backend, each time it is saved the plugin take over, copy the data from the main txp article’s table into its own (same as the real one, but with 1 more field for the timestamp of the revision) and then step back and let TXP save the new version as it always do.

And you add some controls or tabs or whatever for rollback, diff tools, and so on. It’s shouldn’t be that hard. But it’s only a temporary (as in for a few month, maybe a year or two.. well ok, that’s quite long enough for some people) solution until Zem rewrite the all things.

It has one big advantage: it doesn’t hack TXP, it doesn’t interfere with it, so if it stop working (as usual… like the TXP article’s table format is modified, and the plugin don’t keep on with it) it doesn’t break anything.

#22 2005-05-06 21:40:56

mrdale
Website

Tres Bien, Jeremie!

Sounds like a great solution to me. Who’s got the chops, the time and the inclination to make it happen.

I’d contribute to a ransom… anyone else?

#23 2005-10-10 15:58:48

mrdale
Website

Bump! There’s gotta be someone else interested in a revisioning plug?

Board footer