Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-03-13 19:26:42

greyfodder
Website

Re: Bookmarklets?

>eds wrote: Thanks. Following that lead, I have two article ones that do what I want them to do. The second one is safari specific due to the get selection method.

>The first posts an article with

Last edited by greyfodder (2004-03-13 19:26:57)

Great, now even my car needs a tinfoil hat. :)

#14 2004-03-13 23:29:38

nissarup
Website

Make step=Publish into step=Edit in the javascript.
I cant get the page to save the article, though. But that might just be on my installation.

#15 2004-04-13 17:29:16

Andrew
Plugin Author

I’ve been successful with Dean’s bookmarklet for populating the ‘add link’ form, but there are annoying side effects that I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced.

Using FireFox, the new window is opened successfully but is sent to the background automatically. In addition, the parent window changes to a blank page with only the text

[object Window]

This must be the same result in other people’s browsers as well. Anyone?

Is there a slight tweak that will allow for this to keep the current page, and bring the new window up on top of the desired bookmark link page?

Last edited by compooter (2004-04-13 17:31:09)

#16 2004-04-13 19:06:43

Chris

I’ve changed my bookmarklet to this:
<code>
javascript:void(txp_link=window.open(‘http://www.YOURSITE.com/textpattern/index.php?
event=link&step=edit&link=Add&bm=1&linkname=’+escape(document.title)
+’&url=’+escape(window.location.href),’_blank’,‘width=430,height=350,
status=no,resizable=no,scrollbars=no’));txp_link.focus();window.focus();
</code>

(all on one line of course – I’ve broken it up here to prevent horizontal scrolling)

it has stopped the pageloading again in the main window but I still have no luck getting the window to take focus. It’s strange because at one point the window was popping up rather than popping under – it may be a result of the Firefox extensions I’m running, not sure. Are you using the tabbed browser extensions?

EDIT: Now it pops up and not under. It can’t seem to make up its mind!

Last edited by Chris (2004-04-13 19:13:00)

#17 2004-04-13 22:41:35

Andrew
Plugin Author

No — no tabbed browser extension. Strange, because if I just do standard popup window javascript favelets the focus is active on the popup – as it should be. Arrgg.

Interesting to note, when this favelet is placed on a webpage as a text link it behaves properly. When it is placed in a bookmark it loses window focus & bugs out. This must be an issue with how Firefox deals with bookmarks?

javascript:(window.open('http://mydomain.com/textpattern/index.php? event=link&link=Add&bm=1&linkname='+escape(document.title.toLowerCase())+ '&url='+escape(window.location.href),'_blank','width=500,height=550,status=no, resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes'));

[update]

It seems to me that a more sophisticated version of this bookmarklet is needed in order to work reliably cross-browser. I’ll do some hunting n’ pecking to see what I can find. Maybe there is an MT bookmarklet out there that is stable that I can modify to fit my needs.

Last edited by compooter (2004-04-13 23:25:05)

#18 2004-04-29 16:29:56

kennethlove666
Website

maybe it’s just me, but it seems like i have to refresh the popped-up window from the bookmarklet in order to actually submit the text. if i don’t, the entered text doesn’t get saved (the page SAYS it does, but it doesn’t show up anywhere, so it’s obviously not getting saved). This has happened on both IE5/Mac and Firefox/Linux. any ideas?

Listen to Kenneth

#19 2004-05-01 06:59:33

Andrew
Plugin Author

Yeah – I had the same problem & eventually just gave up. I never could get any method to actually write to the database whatever link it claimed to have just saved.

#20 2004-05-01 16:27:46

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Really? We can/should debug this.

text*

#21 2004-05-02 20:56:42

kennethlove666
Website

If I refresh, it works, on both platforms. (mac/linux)

Listen to Kenneth

#22 2004-05-03 16:11:01

Andrew
Plugin Author

Well, it appears that it will work for me in IE/Win, but not in Firefox — can you imagine that??. I’ve tried unsuccessfully w/ Opera but there appears to be something buggy going on with my installation so I’ll leave out those results.

Firefox says it saves the link, but really doesn’t. No change on reload. Also couldn’t ever find a way in Fx to keep the popup window the active window; it always just seems to fall behind the parent. I’ve un/reinstalled Firefox just to ensure it wasn’t an extension interfering with the window heirarchy.

Anyone else tried the above favlets on Fx/Win?

#23 2004-05-04 00:50:34

hass

Compooter, I don’t know what I’m doing, so if it works it’s blind luck…I took your script javascript:(window.open(‘http://mydomain.com/textpattern/index.php?
event=link&link=Add&bm=1&linkname=‘escape(document.title.toLowerCase())
‘&url=’+escape(window.location.href),’_blank’,‘width=500,height=550,status=no,
resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes’)); and saved it as a link in an html file in my /textpattern/ folder. I bookmarked the link in my Boomarks Toolbar Folder (right click, it wouldn’t let me drag and drop.) Now it works, but, like you said, the popup pops under and the page changes to object Window. On the plus side, the URL and Title fields are properly filled out, and it all saves correctly. After saving I can use Textpattern normally in the popup.

Feel free to ignore my newbie blathering…

#24 2004-06-15 22:29:20

jonhicks
Website

> nissarup wrote:

> I did use the update script, and when I go to the admin page manually there is no problem. The articles I write are saved. Its only when I try to write an article in the pop-up window created with this bookmarklet.

I’m experiencing the same problem. It says ‘saved’ but nothing is written to the database. Has anyone solved this one?

Cheers,
Jon VC#9

Board footer