Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2022-02-06 21:00:29

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Latent good trends

wet wrote #332665:

Thanks for the hint. Will add this as a new layer on my »Read this next« book stack ;-)

I have a “next book stack” too :-) My wife is listening to “The Every” as an audiobook in German while I am reading it at home in English. She’s overtaken me and says it gets increasingly dramatic towards the end…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2022-02-07 09:26:42

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #332662:

But the one thing it stumbles over all the time is the cookie consent pages. The consent bar is removed but often not the background overlay and scroll-disabling of the page, leaving you with a “frozen” page.

Often, it suffices to block the underlying JS site like privacy-mgmt.com.

#15 2022-02-07 09:36:56

Algaris

Bloke wrote #332664:

Exactly. Look what happened in the wake of GDPR. They invented new terminology “Legitimate Interest”, hid that behind a subtab in the Manage Consent popup, and (many) opt-out systems don’t have an “Object all” button for that set of data, meaning you need to wade through up to 100 specially chosen partners and disable them one by one. Only the hardcore are going to do that.

I hate that and always go looking for the Legitimate Interest options before hitting Reject All. Sometimes depending on how much time I have or my mood I’ll wade through all of their specially chosen partners and disable each and everyone of them just to spite the company/website owners. Otherwise I’ll just hit the back button and go somewhere else.

#16 2022-02-07 10:22:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Algaris wrote #332678:

Sometimes depending on how much time I have or my mood I’ll wade through all of their specially chosen partners and disable each and everyone of them just to spite the company/website owners. Otherwise I’ll just hit the back button and go somewhere else.

Glad it’s not just me that does this!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2022-02-07 10:30:04

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Algaris wrote #332678:

I’ll wade through all of their specially chosen partners and disable each and everyone of them just to spite the company/website owners.

Isn’t disabling all third-party cookies an option?

#18 2022-02-07 11:58:57

Algaris

etc wrote #332680:

Isn’t disabling all third-party cookies an option?

It is but I have come across a number of websites that won’t allow me to login unless they’re enabled. I’ll leave third-party cookies enabled depending on what I’m doing but I try to turn them off where possible.

#19 2022-02-07 14:52:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yeah, third party cookies might work as a stop gap for some sites. But others… I hit a site the other day that popped up a cookie consent form with two buttons: accept/decline.

I clicked Decline.

A warning popped up to say that the site and shop might not work as well with cookies disabled.

I clicked OK.

It showed me the cookie consent form again.

I clicked Decline.

It said the site might not work very well if I don’t accept.

I clicked OK (even though it’s not okay).

It showed me the cookie consent form… ad infinitum.

I got bored and went elsewhere.

Where do they get these coders?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#20 2022-02-07 14:54:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I run pi-hole as a local DNS resolver, with blocklists for various places. I see a lot of tracking popups, even with AdGuard, but the tracking junk isn’t dumped on my computers…because of pi-hole, and its blocking…and so if the junk isn’t dumped on the computer, the next time I visit the site, I get the popup…because the stuff it wants to dump isn’t there already…because of pi-hole and it’s blocks.

#21 2022-02-07 15:09:01

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Hehe, I guess your decision is stored in a cookie, so they have to ask you twice for Decline. Concur for OK

#22 2022-02-08 05:47:11

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I don’t see those nasty consent pop-ups all that often either because 1Blocker does a good job at blocking them or because, living where I live, get different tracking scripts (that are mostly blocked anyway).

One work around that harassment I use regularly when hitting such a wall is: pressing Cmd + Shift + R to activate Reader mode (in Safari). ) 90% of the time I can then quietly read the full article (Reader mode is an overlay above everything else) without bothering with the nuisance.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#23 2022-02-08 06:04:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Related to all this tracking, mildly amusing:

• Yahoo Japan will soon not be available in the EU anymore (source: Asahi.com): Reasons cited: managing tracking consent and data tracking. This will probably mostly affect Japanese people living in the EU.
  • FB-Meta doing the same, it one can believe a speculative report by Wired / Ars Technica

I’ve seen some similar reports from (smaller) Japanese shopping mall sites about similar issues with cross-border data storage, despite “free trade” agreements between EU and Japan. Source was Nikkei (firewalled).

Last edited by phiw13 (2022-02-08 06:09:50)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#24 2022-02-08 09:08:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #332688:

One work around that harassment I use regularly when hitting such a wall is: pressing Cmd + Shift + R to activate Reader mode (in Safari). ) 90% of the time I can then quietly read the full article

Great tip, thanks! Didn’t think of that.

Depending on how much I care about the content (i.e. if it’s available elsewhere, I go there instead) I’ve resorted to using the web inspector to delete the overlay popup node(s). Some sites sneakily ‘lock’ the display scrolling to Fixed via JavaScript so you then have to hunt for that script and disable it too.

Board footer