Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2004-12-20 20:51:58

JamiLSDD

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_rewrite: configurable clean URLs

<em> zem wrote:

I’m a bit puzzled by this. zem_rewrite and txp:article are independent.

Are you certain that the correct page template is being displayed? It’s not using a different template that contains a different txp:article tag?</em>

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yep, that was the problem. My “article” section was set to use the archive template instead of the default. The strange part is that with the plugin turned off, the articles would use the correct form (and the default template), but with it turned on, it reverted to the sections rule and used the archive template instead… oh well, its fixed, ignore me. :-)

Last edited by JamiLSDD (2004-12-20 20:52:16)

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.
And if it still doesn’t work, shoot it and find something new!

#50 2004-12-30 17:47:19

odilon

Has anyone had any experience in setting this plugin to run on IIS.

I have IIS 6 with the custom 404 pages pointing to index.php. When I switch the plugin on and refresh my site I get an empty screen.

Clearly not expected behaviour!! Has anyone got some clues?

Odilon

#51 2004-12-30 19:47:31

aesop1
Archived Plugin Author

Such a rewrite plugin won’t work with IIS—you need to have a specially compiled DLL that works in harmony with IIS. IIS doesn’t do .htaccess. One of the drawbacks of IIS is that it doesn’t do clean URLs out of the box.

Do a URL rewrite for IIS search on Google and that should give you some leads.

#52 2005-01-02 22:58:44

zem
Developer Emeritus

It should be possible to get IIS to work using the 404 error handler method, provided it passes the original url in REQUEST_URI or similar.

Can someone with IIS experience experiment with this, and see if any changes to the plugin are required for it to work? I’d like to add IIS installation instructions to the documentation.

Alex

#53 2005-01-03 01:42:42

jjeff
Website

Hi folks,

Hate to chime in with another “how come this isn’t working” post, but unfortunately that’s the position I’m in.

It looks like I’ve got zem_rewrite installed and turned on. And it looks like the .htaccess is installed correctly and is redirecting everything to the index.php file, but it doesn’t look like zem_rewrite is doing anything. I just get my same old index.php file no matter what I ask for. None of the URL arguments get through. For instance I can type:

http://www.mysite.com/i/can/put/anything/here

and I’ll still get the same output as if I typed
http://www.mysite.com/index.php

Any ideas?

I’m running Apache on a virtual private (linux) server so I can change pretty much anything configuration-wise.

If it’s any clue, I’m testing out zem_rewrite because although TextPattern’s clean mode worked for actual php-ified text files like http://www.mysite.com/article, any sub sections (including those generated by TextPattern’s permalink tag) gave me an error. Is there an Apache setting that I need to change?

Thanks for any clues,
Jeff
www.jjeff.com

#54 2005-01-03 02:00:10

zem
Developer Emeritus

jjeff,

Make sure you remove the section placeholder files, and remove or rename any other files or subdirectories with names that match your section names.

If that doesn’t help, try adding something like this just below the last line of the plugin code:

var_dump(serverSet('REQUEST_URI'), serverSet('PATH_INFO'));

..then view some pages with and without paths. You’ll be able to see the contents of those server vars at the top of the page. If they’re empty, something’s up in your config.

Last edited by zem (2005-01-03 02:36:53)

Alex

#55 2005-01-03 08:17:22

Kangaby

Hello,

I’ve downloaded the plugin (0.5) and used the upload dialog box.

Pasting directly into the install plugin box with 1.0rc1 produces “Badly formed or empty plugin code” message. (I clicked on the plugin file name, selected open, ctrl-shift-end, ctrl-c, goto install plugin box, ctrl-v, click install)

I’ve deleted all placeholder files and only have the rewrite rules from the plugin in .htaccess and activated the plugin. I’ve not made any other changes to the templates as yet

When I try to access my site I get the following at the top of the browser:

Warning: Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (? at offset 3 in /path/to/my/textpattern/publish.php(767) : eval()’d code on line 75

(path/to/my replaces the real path)

This message repeates for each instance of $uri_scheme that is uncommented in the plugin file.

So, what do I try next
Mark

Last edited by Kangaby (2005-01-03 08:18:17)

#56 2005-01-03 14:40:32

jjeff
Website

zem wrote:

jjeff,
Make sure you remove the section placeholder files, and remove or rename any other files or subdirectories with names that match your section names.

Yes. I did that.

If that doesn’t help, try adding something like this just below the last line of the plugin code:

var_dump(serverSet('REQUEST_URI'), serverSet('PATH_INFO'));

..then view some pages with and without paths. You’ll be able to see the contents of those server vars at the top of the page. If they’re empty, something’s up in your config.

hmmm… Yes the variables are showing up.

For the page: http://pp.littlechair.net/article/4/test-article
I get an output of:

string(23) “/article/4/test-article” string(0) “”

and the “normal” index.php page

Is that the correct output?

Thanks for your help.

jeff

Last edited by jjeff (2005-01-03 14:43:45)

#57 2005-01-04 15:25:24

edburdo
Website

First, I just got around to playing with this plugin. It works for my version of permlinks (the default configuration). And the sections work as well.

However, the category links do not work for v0.4 or v0.5 – I have the default example used (I just changed the name parameter and the linktext to what I wanted. All I get is either default or the section name. Never the category name, even though I have it specified.

I haven’t started playing with much yet for the “extras”. The url_title only links or such. I have a testbed site that I run this on, so it doesn’t mess up my regular sites (I have 5 running TXP now).

Any ideas? Do I wait for v0.6 and try that?

Eric

#58 2005-01-04 22:44:35

zem
Developer Emeritus

jeff,

That output looks fine.

My guess is there’s something fishy with your doc_root or subdirectory settings – perhaps a trailing slash problem? There should be no trailing slash in doc_root, and your subdir should be ‘/’.

Alex

#59 2005-01-04 23:08:17

zem
Developer Emeritus

> edburdo wrote:

> However, the category links do not work for v0.4 or v0.5 – I have the default example used (I just changed the name parameter and the linktext to what I wanted. All I get is either default or the section name. Never the category name, even though I have it specified.

A bug. I’ll fix it in the next release. Meantime, edit zem_categorylink() and change:

return zem_format_link('section', ...

to:

return zem_format_link('category', ...

zem_categorylink doesn’t work well on the front page, incidentally. That’s because with the default URL scheme a url like ‘/category/’ clashes with ‘/section/’.

Alex

#60 2005-01-04 23:55:54

jjeff
Website

That output looks fine.

My guess is there’s something fishy with your doc_root or subdirectory settings – perhaps a trailing slash problem? There should be no trailing slash in doc_root, and your subdir should be ‘/’.

Alas, no problem there. No trailing slash in the doc_root in the config file and the preferences page subdirectory is “/”.

I’m thinking there might be some larger problem though, because now I’m having trouble getting any of the section pages to show up formatted as anything but ‘default’.

Are there Textpattern guidelines for server setup? PHP settings? Apache settings? Something seems awry.

-jeff

Board footer