Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-12-04 00:15:25

zem
Developer Emeritus

[plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_rewrite: configurable clean URLs

zem_rewrite parses and produces configurable clean URLs for permalinks, section and category lists. Features:

• Eliminates the need for editing .htaccess or uploading files when sections are created and edited
  • Not dependent on a particular rewrite method, so it can be adapted to IIS
  • Can produce URLs in many forms, e.g:
  • /section/category/25/my-article-title
  • /section/2004/09/28/25/my-article-title
  • /section/2004/09/28/category/25/my-article-title
  • /section/category/

Download and documentation here

I haven’t been able to try it on IIS, so perhaps someone who knows IIS rewrite magic can adapt it and post the results here.

NB – the plugin provides several tags for producing URLs using the configured scheme. Don’t expect older tags and plugins to magically start producing links with the new scheme, however.

The plugin includes two functions (zem_format_url and zem_format_link) for creating URLs and links using the configured scheme. Other plugins can call these functions – I’ll post some code demonstrating how later.

Oh, and if you’re using the zem_rewrite plugin, you might have to temporarily disable it on some pages. I’m working on an update that’s compatible with zem_rewrite.

Alex

#2 2004-12-04 01:18:24

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_rewrite: configurable clean URLs

I should point out that the plugin will happily produce and accept URLs that are ambiguous, conflicting or nonsensical. If your ‘article’ URL scheme doesn’t include the {article} parameter, don’t expect articles to show up.

Similarly, beware of schemes that are indistinguishable. For example, if you use:

$uri_scheme['category'] = '{category}/';
$uri_scheme['section'] = '{section}/';

..zem_rewrite won’t be able to tell whether the url http://example.com/foo/ refers to foo as a section or as a category.

Alex

#3 2004-12-04 01:43:51

Andrew
Plugin Author

Wow. Bravo, zem!

#4 2004-12-04 03:20:23

misterk
Website

Marvelous. The problem is now I’m so used to textpattern url’s that I kind of like them :)

#5 2004-12-04 05:07:53

Remillard
Plugin Author

Does this require anything like the faux section files? (e.g. I have to use rewrite rules because the other .htaccess methods did not work.)

Pretty cool though. Of anything I’ve seen this ought to go into the base distribution.

#6 2004-12-04 07:03:39

zem
Developer Emeritus

> Remillard wrote:

> Does this require anything like the faux section files?

Nope. Just one of several different forms of rewrite magic; everything else is done in the plugin. You can even use Errordoc handling if mod_rewrite is unavailable.

Alex

#7 2004-12-05 01:48:08

zem
Developer Emeritus

I’ve updated this to version 0.3. The new version includes some improved rewriterules, and should work on more server types.

Alex

#8 2004-12-05 02:30:49

zem
Developer Emeritus

..and 0.4. This adds support for article url_title without the ID (as in /section/my-article/ or /section/category/my-article/ instead of /section/123/my_article). It’s undocumented because it’s a bit ugly and has some limitations.

To use it, add this URL scheme above the category scheme and below the other article schemes:

$uri_scheme['article_urltitle'] = '{section}/{url_title}/';

You can create permalinks in that format with this tag:

<txp:zem_permlink scheme="article_urltitle">foo</txp:zem_permlink>

However, this requires that:

1. Your articles have the URL only title field set, and
2. You’re not clashing with clean category URLs (the URLs /section/category/ and /section/url-title/ are indistinguishable).

Last edited by zem (2004-12-05 03:12:42)

Alex

#9 2004-12-05 04:16:38

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Very nice. This will definitely help in generating nicer clean URLs for static pages. Now I just wish I could get it working right.

First, if I have TXP installed at the root of my webserver, does the rewrite rule go in the .htaccess file in my root directory or in my textpattern directory?
Edit: Pretty sure I’m correct in having this in my root directory.

Then, for example, say I write an article in section about and give it a category of this. If I go to site.com/about/this should I be able to see that article?

Thanks for any help.

Edit Again:

Everything working fine now. A couple tips.

1. I don’t know much about mod_rewrite rules but I did learn that I needed to remove the rules that were part of the default TXP install to get this to work.
  2. If you already have existing section files, remove them.

Last edited by wilshire (2004-12-05 04:29:01)

#10 2004-12-05 05:32:27

zem
Developer Emeritus

> wilshire wrote:

> Everything working fine now. A couple tips.

Indeed, sensible advice that really should be part of the documentation. I’ll mention that in the next release.

Alex

#11 2004-12-06 14:17:57

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

I’m in the process of upgrading a site done in php/html to use TXP. I’m usually able to do this while leaving the existing site intact since my pages use the .html extension and I can use index.php to go to the new TXP index page.

However, if I try to use the rewrite rules for this plugin when I go to my root (www.mysite.com) instead of bring up my index.html page I get the TXP index.php.

I tried adding DirectoryIndex index.html to my htaccess but to no avail.

Any suggestions on a work around for this?

#12 2004-12-06 16:01:23

Tae

i dont know much about .htaccess and such but i recently switched a flat site to txp and found that it was very easy to work on a subdomain (dev.mysite.com) during development and then just “throw the switch” when i was done with minimal fuss.

~

cool plugin btw. i plan to use it on my next site and then retro-fit it into my current one when i’m comfortable with it.

Board footer