Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2022-01-30 08:21:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: PHP 8, MAMP, alternatives for local development

bici wrote #332541:

anyone have a good recommendation for an alternative to MAMP. Too many updates and upgrade costs have soured me on them.

My Homebrew PHP + Apache + MySql combo works very well. A bit more “manual” work using Terminal to manage it but certainly not difficult at all. And it is free.

Tutorial here.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#38 2022-01-30 09:38:24

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Do not forget also an open source desktop OS option at home in these times of digital surveillance. I am a happy NomadBSD user — refugee from MS Windows. Mac OSX fans have now an opportunity to retain their beloved environment in AiryxOS. There is also a lot of various Linux distributions. You will get a real working copy of your website for development at home.

Last edited by Vienuolis (2022-01-30 09:39:36)

#39 2022-01-30 10:22:10

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #332541:

anyone have a good recommendation for an alternative to MAMP. Too many updates and upgrade costs have soured me on them.

Also have a look at this thread in which Philippe outlines possible options. Note: you may need to check compatibility with older versions of macOS if you’re running an earlier version (I remember you were debating getting a new machine but not sure if you did).

Note that in moving away from MAMP, you’ll likely find you can’t run different systems in parallel (they compete for ports) so before you switch, make sure you export each and every one of your databases individually to full .sql dumps and have your files and .sql files backed up somewhere safe. Otherwise, if you deinstall MAMP, you may lose access to them.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#40 2022-01-30 13:28:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #332541:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAMPP

If you want to dabble with some Linux administration as a side project, then a single-board computer (e.g. Raspberry Pi) with a well-supported Linux distribution can be a very rewarding experience.

Edit: I recall jakob is a fan of Laravel Valet: laravel.com/docs/8.x/valet

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-01-30 13:29:27)

#41 2022-01-31 08:58:49

Algaris

gaekwad wrote #332548:

If you want to dabble with some Linux administration as a side project, then a single-board computer (e.g. Raspberry Pi) with a well-supported Linux distribution can be a very rewarding experience.

I agree with Pete. I started out with a Raspberry Pi and then moved onto my own hardware (an old iMac that I repurposed for Ubuntu Server). Now I’m moving into TrueNAS. This is probably a little overkill for the purpose of this thread though ;-)

Last edited by Algaris (2022-01-31 09:06:24)

#42 2022-01-31 22:41:49

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #332546:

Also have a look at this thread in which Philippe outlines possible options. Note: you may need to check compatibility with older versions of macOS if you’re running an earlier version (I remember you were debating getting a new machine but not sure if you did).

Note that in moving away from MAMP, you’ll likely find you can’t run different systems in parallel (they compete for ports) so before you switch, make sure you export each and every one of your databases individually to full .sql dumps and have your files and .sql files backed up somewhere safe. Otherwise, if you deinstall MAMP, you may lose access to them.

oooopppps!

lesson just learned. i deleted MAMP and MAMP PRO and lost everything! I then tried going with XAMPP and after a crazy day never really managed to get it to work. I deleted that as well. Then I realized that i had managed to lose all my SQL files. oh well. Luckily i had a backup copy of two of the .sql files one of which i needed in order to help troubleshoot a site for the org i am assisting. I managed to install and fix it by using a live domain that i use for testing. all i had to do was edit the .sql db to use the domain name, fix the issue, export the db and re-edit to use correct urls/domains. So all ok. Today the org. offered to pay for a MAMP license in appreciation for my assistance (and to hopefully keep helping them for another year 😉 ). So I am back to using MAMP Pro. By the summer of 2023 i won’t be involved with managing websites. Time to hang up my CSS/SQL/HTPP etc. tools.

I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

Many thanks to all for all the assitance and suggestions.
But I have to just bite the bullet––this old dog is not up to learning new tricks!

…. texted postive

Board footer