Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2021-04-15 08:09:12

gaekwad
Multi-hyphenate
GitHub

Re: Alternative apache + php install

Ross, it’s like you’re in my head. Exactly what I’ve done, too. Bravo!

#26 2021-04-15 08:15:35

jakob
Admin
Website

Algaris wrote #329782:

After trying various solutions on my Mac I decided to setup my own Ubuntu server.

gaekwad wrote #329784:

This is literally what I did & still do. Works really well.

You’re both way ahead of me on this. Someday maybe I’ll get to that but I still like to be able to quickly switch from work to home or garden and not be tied to infrastructure. (As if to prove the point, O2 have managed to switch off our work DSL broadband connection without switching on the new cable connection leaving four freelancers stranded and at their mercy. Having a local dev environment is handy in such cases).

phiw13 wrote #329732:

For my own needs, I went the Homebrew route, their Apache & PHP (8 & 7.4) packages. Works nicely on MacOS 11. I use the MySQL 8 package directly from Oracle, with its easy-to-use-and-configure MacOS installer.

I have almost this setup except with Laravel Valet which sits on top of those homebrew components. It adds DnsMasq to the mix which makes every folder in the /Sites folder (or whatever you use) immediately available as foldername.test (custom exceptions are possible). It’s basically silently there in the background; no virtualhosts, no etc hosts file. Setting up a site is basically copying a folder and initiating a database, then running /setup. Switching from laptop to work computer (with same username on both) means just copying across the folder and importing the db.

One caveat is no .htaccess as it uses nginx in the background. I was unsure about that to start with but in practice you have no exposure to nginx and Textpattern’s expanded url schemes has made it less necessary to “resort to” .htaccess. Textpattern works with the standard valet driver and I’ve found a custom driver for txp is not necessary.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#27 2021-04-15 12:40:21

gaekwad
Multi-hyphenate
GitHub

jakob wrote #329832:

One caveat is no .htaccess as it uses nginx in the background. I was unsure about that to start with but in practice you have no exposure to nginx and Textpattern’s expanded url schemes has made it less necessary to “resort to” .htaccess. Textpattern works with the standard valet driver and I’ve found a custom driver for txp is not necessary.

Make some noise if you need some help with Nginx, I only started learning it since makss added a bunch of support for it in Textpattern back in a previous branch, and now it’s my go-to for nearly everything.

This link should take you to the current / latest incarnation of the textpattern.com Nginx server block on GitHub, which has been honed & tweaked over the years.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-04-15 12:40:31)

Board footer