Re: Textpattern demo sites - stack changes, upgrades, tweaks et cetera

Algaris wrote #337264:

Here’s just a few things I pulled out of your post I now want to look into:

• Debian
  • FreeBSD
  • Caddy Server
  • Syncthing
  • Hetzner Cloud

Debian has become my ‘go-to’ VPS operating system since Ubuntu snap started getting traction and it infested my servers with gobs of files that I don’t like the looks of. Debian is boring, reliable, predictable, and it just works. The build guide I had for Ubuntu was ~99% relevant for Debian, with a few tweaks. In that respect, it was the most straightforward switch. Anecdotally, Debian feels a little quicker & lighter, but there’s not much in it.

I dabbled with FreeBSD years ago, but never used it in production. It was my first UNIX-like operating system, and I only really got into it because of a good friend of mine was involved with the project. I’ve got mixed emotions about FreeBSD as a production server since I don’t currently have any client projects that need the horsepower to justify it. I’d like to have enough ££ margin on a few clients that I can justify the spend on build guide r&d time, but it’s not a priority.

Caddy…oh, Caddy…another mixed emotions thing here since I’ve got Nginx working nearly as I want it (todo: QUIC & HTTP/3). The recent Nginx / freenginx fork situation has made me reassess things, and I’ve put aside some past niggles I had with the Caddy project in order to see how it works in production. There’s a new config syntax to get my head around, and running an always-on Go app on a live, public-facing server is something I’ve not had experience with…so there’s extra underlying infrastructure to learn, too.

Syncthing is the bee’s knees. It has a learning curve, but when you get your head around it, it’s fabulous. Highly recommended. It’s taken me too long to have full, distributed backups of all our project server stuff, but I think we’re there. Currently we have backups across multiple providers in multiple data centres, and it’s neat watching gigabytes of data flying back and forth across servers in 3 continents.

Hetzner Cloud offers ARM64 / aarch64 Ampere servers at a price point that I can’t explain. A 4-core vCPU setup with 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD and 20TB transfer is €6.49/month on Hetzner if you want IPv6 and IPv4. Looking at DigitalOcean, that same price point gets you a 1-core x86 vCPU server with 1GB RAM, 25GB SSD and 1000GB transfer. Upping the specs to a 4-core x86 vCPU box with 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD and 5TB transfer…you’re looking at $48/month.

I’m intrigued by your build guide. Now that would be a fascinating read. I have my own written in Markdown which I’ve split across multiple text files and store in Obsidian. I bet yours is more belts and braces than mine though.

I do a bunch of organised Markdown files in a (hidden) git repo and I use Nova, so we’re pretty much on the same track there. I’m up to about 6,300 commits according to Github. Mixed emotions there, too…it’s a lot of time and experience wrapped up in a bunch of text, but the learning keeps my brain working nicely and it’ll never be ‘done’.

#122 2024-06-11 15:06:51

Algaris

So much more information to read through, process, and research. =D I’m sure I’ll have oodles of questions once my brain has caught up and I’ve managed to process everything. It might take a while though.

I also got your email. Thank you.

#123 2024-07-02 16:32:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: PHP 8.2.21
Upgraded: PHP 8.3.9
Installed: PHP 8.4.0alpha1

Resurrected: php-next-demo.textpattern.co/dev/

This ^^ is our Github dev branch splatted onto the first alpha of PHP 8.4.0, which was GitHub-tagged about 3 hours ago and will be released in about 2 days.

Expect a bumpy ride on the PHP 8.4.0 demo as a) we get our house in order; and b) the PHP crew get their house in order. There will be errors. Please file bugs accordingly.

Demo server tech stack (current as of post timestamp, see above for any ETA variance):

Site Textpattern HTTP Database PHP
Release Demo Textpattern 4.8.8 Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.2.21 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.3.9 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0alpha1 (PHP-FPM)

Until further notice, I’ll be using this thread to track the nerdy details of the demo server. Please refer to the demo site status thread for other info.

Upcoming:

• Percona Server (MySQL) 8.4 LTS
  • PHP via Nginx Unit or other app server
  • HTTP/3 & QUIC

Last edited by gaekwad (2024-07-02 16:34:49)

#124 2024-07-16 14:40:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: PHP 8.4.0alpha2

Expect a bumpy ride on the PHP 8.4.0 pre-release demo as a) we get our house in order, and; b) the PHP crew get their house in order. There will be errors.

Please check against known issues and open a new issue if the breakage you spot isn’t listed.

Demo server tech stack (current as of post timestamp, see above for any ETA variance):

Release Demo Textpattern 4.8.8 Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.2.21 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.3.9 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0alpha2 (PHP-FPM)

Until further notice, I’ll be using this thread to track the nerdy details of the demo server. Please refer to the demo site status thread for other info.

Upcoming:

• HTTP/3 & QUIC

#125 2024-07-30 20:30:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: PHP 8.4.0alpha3
Upgraded: PHP 8.3.10
Upgraded: PHP 8.2.22

Expect a bumpy ride on the PHP 8.4.0 pre-release demo as a) we get our house in order, and; b) the PHP crew get their house in order. There will be errors.

Please check against known issues and open a new issue if the breakage you spot isn’t listed.

Release Demo Textpattern 4.8.8 Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.2.22 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.3.10 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0alpha3 (PHP-FPM)

Upcoming:

• HTTP/3 & QUIC

Last edited by gaekwad (2024-07-30 20:32:52)

#126 2024-08-01 09:24:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: PHP 8.4.0alpha4

Note: it’s only two days since PHP 8.4.0alpha3 was tagged, but that release was officially skipped (I don’t know why).

Release Demo Textpattern 4.8.8 Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.2.22 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.3.10 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0alpha4 (PHP-FPM)

Upcoming:

• HTTP/3 & QUIC

#127 2024-08-13 20:35:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: PHP 8.4.0beta1.

Note: PHP 8.4.0 has reached the feature freeze milestone, so it’s bug fixes from here until release.

Expect a possibly bumpy ride on the PHP 8.4.0 pre-release demo as a) we get our house in order, and; b) the PHP crew get their house in order. There will be errors.

Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.0 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0beta1 (PHP-FPM)

Upcoming:

• HTTP/3 & QUIC

#128 2024-08-14 15:19:01

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Upgraded: Nginx 1.27.1.

Expect a possibly bumpy ride on the PHP 8.4.0 pre-release demo as a) we get our house in order, and; b) the PHP crew get their house in order. There will be errors.

Release Demo Textpattern 4.8.8 Nginx 1.27.1 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.2.22 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.1 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.3.10 (PHP-FPM)
Dev Demo on Dev PHP GitHub dev branch Nginx 1.27.1 (OpenSSL 3.3) Percona MySQL Server 8.0 LTS PHP 8.4.0beta1 (PHP-FPM)

Upcoming:

#129 2024-08-14 17:26:19

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Pete, where do we find the “Dev Demo on Dev PHP”?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#130 2024-08-14 17:49:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #337610:

Hi Pete, where do we find the “Dev Demo on Dev PHP”?

php-next-demo.textpattern.co/dev/

#131 2024-08-14 17:51:26

jakob
Admin
Website

Cool, thanks!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#132 2024-08-14 17:57:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #337612:

Cool, thanks!

Apologies for unintended brevity / terseness!

Board footer