Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2020-07-27 19:50:45

maverick
Website

Re: Image tab - upload behaviour

Bloke wrote #324915:

If it weren’t for screen real estate restrictions, this might work. Not sure how to lay it out, but if you have ideas here, by all means share them.

Valid point. Unfortunately I cannot say I do. I do almost all my work on a laptop or desktop, so I need the reminder there are those uploading images from their phone/tablet. I know there are – I just forget to take that into consideration sometimes.

we don’t know how many you’ve picked until you hit ‘Select’

Ah. Got it. I thought perhaps that as images were added there might be some sort of event triggered you could use.

I’m not sure how many times you upload a bunch of images that require the same alt text and caption.

I was just throwing the multi-edit out as a brainstorm – not really thinking use case. I suppose there might be for someone – seems like there always is. For me, the few times I upload in bulk, being able to edit image size, tags (when they come), ownership, perhaps associate with a custom field (when they come), etc. would be more of a use case. It has been more related to activity pictures for organizations going into a photo gallery.

#12 2020-07-28 08:49:32

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: Image tab - upload behaviour

maverick wrote #324917:

I thought perhaps that as images were added there might be some sort of event triggered you could use.

If you add one at a time, there probably is.

being able to edit image size, tags (when they come), ownership, perhaps associate with a custom field (when they come), etc. would be more of a use case.

Yes, in the case of tags and custom fields (not author changes – they must be done in multi-edit) it would be handy to pre-select them before upload. So we do need to think about this when the time comes.

activity pictures for organizations going into a photo gallery.

There are plugins out there to help with gallery management. The low-key approach is com_article_image which, while not official yet, is darn handy for adding images directly to articles on the Write panel via drag/drop (or from your already-uploaded images).

You could also give smd_imagery a spin. It’s a slightly bigger brother to com_article_image that still needs a bit of work, but it allows you to fetch images by category from your Images panel and add them directly to the Article Image field or Body/Excerpt fields via templates.

It’s handy for gallery management because you can visit any article and ask it to ‘load’ the images from your body text into the popup panel, you can rearrange them (drag/drop), remove some, add some, and then push the gallery back into the body at the cursor location.

There’s also smd_meta_image which can create images and articles automatically from image metadata stored in IPTC information. So if you’re serious about cataloguing your images in a program like Lightroom, you can just drag a bunch of images in and ask it to parse the metadata to build content on your behalf.

You can map any incoming field to any image/article Txp field and even build your own combo fields if you wish to combine or split data from the incoming images.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer