2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#61 2020-03-23 17:31:07

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Corona virus

michaelkpate wrote #322270:

So I am writing this from my office at work. The campus is closed to the public and students but staff were still required to come in today. I expect that will change but I guess we’ll see.

If I may ask, does your work pertain to services that can still be accessed (e.g. virtually) without person to person contact?

In my town, it’s also mixed. The public libraries, the German literature library and the university libraries have been closed now for over a week. The architecture library is across the road from me and I can see through the glazed frontage that there is no-one there. OTOH, a neighbour in my building who works in the archives of the music library still has to go to work (at the moment).
Meanwhile the public libraries – and as far as I know the content owners – have relaxed their e-book lending restrictions to enable more people to use their virtual lending services at the moment.

colak wrote #322259:

Yesterday, doctors on hospital said that they couldn’t treat people for 7 hours in hospital due to shortage on mask!

… This is absolutely terrible! This is a total systemic failure. There is no us and them with this virus. If one country stays infected, the rest of them are also in danger. Algeria should ask WHO to intervene and help.

Agree entirely. The health services need them most. FWIW, there is the same problem in Germany, even with its vast health service. Some junior doctors have reported wearing the same mask for several days and GPs in the country are already low on stocks. There was a television report of an enterprising local doctor who set up a free testing service from a container office on his own initiative and has now resorted to wearing painter’s disposable overalls because he has no further supplies.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#62 2020-03-23 19:08:32

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

jakob wrote #322272:

If I may ask, does your work pertain to services that can still be accessed (e.g. virtually) without person to person contact?

I am in charge of Technical Services – which is the fancy term those of us in the Library world use for preparing materials to go on the shelf. I also do projects involving bibliographic records (when libraries made the conversion from paper to digital the quality varied; decades later we are still cleaning things up when we have time.) The current project I am working on is relabeling books that have faded or incorrect spine labels (labels printed on dot matrix printers tend to fade over the years.)

So the things I am doing today I need to be here to do. But they in no way could be described as “essential.” We do have staff providing ask-a-librarian services but I am not one of them (brief aside: The system that Florida Colleges and Universities supports 150 simultaneous users services – it was actually maxed out earlier).

#63 2020-03-23 19:20:43

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

US Update

California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Ohio, Oregon, Nevada and Pennsylvania have announced shelter-in-place orders or bans on non-essential businesses. – ‘Huge amounts’ of New Yorkers flocking to Florida, Gov. DeSantis says in refusing lock down

Governors in Maryland and Massachusetts issued executive orders on Monday ordering nonessential businesses in their states closed as the race to halt the spread of the deadly coronavirus intensifies. – As Virus Spreads, Maryland, Massachusetts Order Nonessential Businesses To Close

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice issued a “stay at home” order for the entire state on Monday. It will go into effect Tuesday at 8:00 pm…Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued a “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order Monday that directs residents to remain at home as much as possible. – West Virginia under ‘stay at home’ order, effective Tuesday night, Gov. Justice announces

I’ll add more as they get added.

#64 2020-03-24 05:52:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

As from tomorrow, in Cyprus, everything will close except banks, supermarkets, doctors, and pharmacies. As from today, no needless movement is allowed after 6pm. The partial curfew has started.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#65 2020-03-24 08:42:12

zero
Website

Mercola article about soap, washing, protecting etc says antibacterial handwash is not the best thing.

Here in the UK now, we must stay at home except for 4 reasons: essential shopping, medical needs, exercise and travel to work — only if absolutely necessary. All non-essential businesses are being closed down, so people have no more excuses to leave home.

Hong Kong has been in lockdown for several weeks and only 4 people have died out of 7.5 million. They had practice with SARS and the people took it on themselves to take extra precautions that the govt did not request. More or less everyone wears face masks, so they must have helped because it must be very hard to keep 2 metres from each other in such a crowded city. There’s some concern at the moment because of returning visitors bring the infection in, but they might be the best model to follow and most countries are about 2 months behind the curve if the Hong Kong model is indeed necessary.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#66 2020-03-24 10:12:04

colak
Admin

An article from the Atlantic about how our networks are failing.

Yiannis
——————————

#67 2020-03-24 11:03:10

colak
Admin

Breaking news from Cyprus. We will have a full curfew for three weeks starting 6pm this afternoon. I expect it to extend for another week to prevent people from going to church on Greek Easter.

Interestingly, the UK government has already named their designated survivor. Keep safe!!!

Yiannis
——————————

#68 2020-03-24 11:22:33

zero
Website

You all know this already but this is a nice reminder and something worth thinking about:

Courage – Lockdown, Day 1

Courage – Lockdown, Day 2

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#69 2020-03-24 18:57:14

colak
Admin

Let’s rename the term. What we are experiencing should not be social distancing as promoted by our governments. It is physical distancing. Let us not forget that we are stronger together.

Our members always had this physical distance but we were always a community. This is not just a battle against the virus, this is a battle of ideas.

Yiannis
——————————

#70 2020-03-24 19:52:23

bici
Website Mastodon

yes the new term is #SpatialDistancing

i am still very much socially involved

…. texted postive

#71 2020-03-24 19:57:46

colak
Admin

bici wrote #322283:

yes the new term is #SpatialDistancing

Admittedly I did not come across it yet, but I like it very much!

What is the situation like over in Vancouver?

>Edited to add. This is the top tweet, using the hashtag. Interestingly from an urban planner in Vancouver. twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1241569035642376193. It should be shared around more!

Last edited by colak (2020-03-24 20:03:36)

Yiannis
——————————

#72 2020-03-24 20:41:04

bici
Website Mastodon

yes you found it! Brent Toderian is a well know town planner.

So far here in YVR we are bot fairing too badly. We are seeing an increase in the number of cases and deaths are also rising. albeit mostly in long term care. So the eider are being targeted. I am stilll ab;e to take my grandkids to the local park as long as we stay away from Kids area. and no stirring on branches etc. after this post my grandson and I will cycle about 1km to the Phamrcy for some batteries and cold medicine. the crazy thing is one cannot find Tilet Paper nor hand sanitizers … hoarders clear the shelves clear. this has been happening for ten days now! crazy turds!

On Sundays i go for long bike rides of 3-4 hours and see very little traffic which is good. lots of people are self isolating . We have now been told that this regime will be on until end of April. Hope for the Future….

CBC Vancouver updates

stay safe!

…. texted postive

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer