Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-02-25 08:20:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

neme.org relaunch for 4.8

Taking advantage of some of the new 4.8 features, today we have relaunched neme.org. Many thanks to those who saw us through for this update during the development of txp.

Most of the work was done to reorganise the content, give the site a slight facelift and add aria compatibility which is yet to be finished.

Plugins used

• backend
    • adi_matrix-2.1beta5
    • adi_notes-1.4beta4 (modified)
    • rss_admin_db_manager-4.5.1
    • smd_where_used-0.2
  • Frontend
    • act_if_mobile-0.1.2
    • com_connect-4.6.0-beta.3
      • ext_com_connect_verify-0.1
      • pap_comconnect-0.1.2
      • ext_file_attach-1.0.3
    • etc_query-1.3.3
    • fha_time_diff-0.23
    • pat_speeder-1.1
    • oui_cookie-1.0.0-BETA4
    • wet_opensearch-0.1
    • rah_external_output-1.0.4 (until we update the sites that make use of it)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2020-02-25 11:36:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: neme.org relaunch for 4.8

I haven’t looked yet, I might a walk round tomorrow or so.

I just wanted to note, it is nice to see your plugin list getting shorter and shorter over time.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2020-02-25 15:21:58

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #321892:

I haven’t looked yet, I might a walk round tomorrow or so.

I just wanted to note, it is nice to see your plugin list getting shorter and shorter over time.

Indeed! For us, it is only the comconnect set, etc_query and oui_cookie, which are essential for the front end. The rest are very welcome additions but their functionality is invisible to most users.

For the back end, it is mostly me saving time, although I feel that the functionalities of smd_where_used and adi_matrix should at some point become part of the core as they are indispensable for larger sites. In fact smd_where_used is a wonderful plugin for new users who are not fully familiar with where parts of the default front end design elements are located.

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2020-02-25 15:52:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Nice post, thanks for the props, Yiannis.

I notice you’re using smd_where_used 0.2. I haven’t built a release on GitHub for it but 0.3 is available which searches inside stylesheets too. Sometimes handy.

I have an incomplete next version for 4.7+ but I keep changing my mind on how to handle themes. If you use the plugin on a site with multiple themes, the search results are duplicated and you have no idea which asset belongs to which theme. Plus, the edit links need to become theme-aware so it selects the correct one.

I’ll fix it up as soon as I can, because it bugs me to pieces when I’m developing on 4.x-dev environments and I can’t find something.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2020-02-25 16:05:56

colak
Admin

Thanks so much Stef. I have updated the plugin.

I was wondering if smd_where_used could name the theme in the results. If so there are two options, either theme-name-result or theme1 results followed by theme2 results etc. I would go for the second option in combination with a show/hide theme checkbox. Technically of course, I wouldn’t know where to start:)

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2020-02-25 16:24:48

jakob
Admin
Website

We’ve been watching you work towards it – great to see it’s out. At first glance it doesn’t look all that different, though I know you have reorganised the structure quite considerably. Anyhow, you get the prize for the first ‘minted’ txp 4.8.0 site :-)

I’d love to know how you use adi_notes and adi_matrix (this is one I’ve never tried). There are a few others in there that I’m not familiar with: What are ext_com_connect_verify and wet_opensearch for?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2020-02-25 16:43:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

adi_matrix is phenomenal. The ability to see a grid of your articles with a chosen subset of their fields and be able to edit multiple articles at once is truly awesome. Brilliant for product-based sites as you can quickly alter a bunch of fields across articles.

colak wrote #321898:

I was wondering if smd_where_used could name the theme in the results.

Yeah, there are a few options, as you say. One is to prefix the asset with the theme. Takes up quite a bit of space with lots of repetitive info on-screen, adding clutter. Another is to group the matching assets by theme. That’s better, imo and is the one I’m leaning towards.

A more radical option is to show only the results from one theme at a time, allowing you to switch between them via a dropdown to see the matches. Not sure how I feel about that.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2020-02-25 16:50:20

colak
Admin

jakob wrote #321902:

We’ve been watching you work towards it – great to see it’s out. At first glance it doesn’t look all that different, though I know you have reorganised the structure quite considerably.

The basic design is indeed the same. I basically moved the titles with the text for accessibility purposes but I also corrected quite a lot of display bugs appearing in smaller screens.

I’d love to know how you use adi_notes and adi_matrix (this is one I’ve never tried). There are a few others in there that I’m not familiar with: What are ext_com_connect_verify and wet_opensearch for?

I use adi notes for reminders for short-codes syntax we use in the articles:)
adi_matrix is indespensable to me as it helps me batch update the CF content.
ext_com_connect_verify is Stef’s plugin to prevent spam patterns. ie comconnect spam from different ips/emails but basically the same or very similar content. This plugin saved my inbox a few years ago when we were receiving dozens of emails/day.
wet_opensearch is working in the background to make the search accessible to ie. It’s an old one and I’m not sure that it is relevant any more but as there was no complaints from the new txp I left it there:)

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2020-02-25 17:01:55

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #321903:

A more radical option is to show only the results from one theme at a time, allowing you to switch between them via a dropdown to see the matches. Not sure how I feel about that.

That is an excellent idea! Also could this plugin become part of the core?

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2020-02-25 17:06:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #321906:

could this plugin become part of the core?

It’s butt-ugly under the hood so I’d be loathe to put it in core as-is!

#11 2020-02-26 11:34:58

colak
Admin

The code for this version of the website is now available on github.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer