Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-02-24 01:43:45

WebmistressM

Re: Tales from the front line: an very-old-to-new Textpattern upgrade

gaekwad wrote #321856:

It was commonplace to deploy Textpattern with a lot of plugins to achieve certain functions. Now, the plugin ecosystem appears to be much quieter…whether this is a side effect of developers moving on, giving up or stopping caring…I don’t know.

I definitely can say I have noticed this. I feel like, even with what is opening up with the evolution to 4.7/4.8, there is much room for improvement of some of the concepts/purposes that plugins (back then) were accomplishing. However, yeah…. I think there is a high number of the older plugins where I can guess that maybe the developers/maintainers have moved on (from TextPattern, in general) since then.

gaekwad wrote #321856:

The web has changed over the last 5, 10 and 15 years, too. Sometimes I miss the old web. Sometimes I wonder if I use Textpattern because it reminds me of the old web…the effort people put in, the care that went into design, and content that was worth spending time on (writing and reading). The old web might be pushed into the shadows these days, but I’m still a cheerleader for it.

(I still don’t make enough of my own damn websites with Textpattern.)

I share alot of the sentiments about the internet of days of old. However, there is also something to say for Text Patterns simplicity (in some aesthetics and in how low-key it is compared to other CMS).

((I need to make more of my websites with TextPattern))

#14 2020-02-24 02:41:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Although quite a few plugin authors have drifted away, there are still a key bunch of kindly volunteers that take often-requested functionality and adopt the code to keep it going.

And if stuff is truly useful, we (cough, Oleg mainly) take the concept and package it up into a bitesize nugget that can be done natively.

Though the changes in 4.8 don’t seem voluminous on paper, the sheer scale of what can be done with built-in tags like orderable <txp:evaluate /> and its attribute counterpart, beefed-up <txp:output_form> and yield to build your own tags, plus pageless sections and development themes… an army of plugins can pretty much be eradicated with a little DIY glue.

We’re only beginning to scratch the surface of what Textpattern can do here, and we’ll be building on this in subsequent releases, each time ensuring we distill the features down to the most usable and useful ones out of the box. And documenting them :)

As we move forward, we’ll ensure to keep things as fast and nimble and lightweight as we possibly can, without adding bloat, so that the Just Write ethos remains at the heart of the CMS.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2020-02-24 07:36:33

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #321862:

We’re only beginning to scratch the surface of what Textpattern can do here, and we’ll be building on this in subsequent releases, each time ensuring we distill the features down to the most usable and useful ones out of the box. And documenting them :)

As we move forward, we’ll ensure to keep things as fast and nimble and lightweight as we possibly can, without adding bloat, so that the Just Write ethos remains at the heart of the CMS.

Amen, brother.

This is why I’m here.

#16 2020-02-24 07:38:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #321859:

We also have some real champion plugin authors here who over the years have quite large collections of plugins. The flip side of being so prolific is the effort required to maintain them to keep them up to date. GitHub makes it a bit easier for others to chip in with improvements/issues but not everyone is on that.

Heavy +1 to this.

Board footer