Website

Re: Not All Doom And Gloom

bici wrote #319359:

Take it easy, take it easy
Don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don’t even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand, and take it easy

More appropriate for me today than yesterday, now that I realise there’s even more I don’t understand. Thanks.

Wondrous Healing 3 wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#22 2019-09-24 12:58:04

Bloke
Developer
Website

zero wrote #319387:

Wow! What a design!

Holy whatnow?! One of the few sites where running it through the Geocitiesizer makes it look better!

It’s possible, however, that the increasingly popular Climate Change narrative is a bandwagon created by the powerful.

Certainly wouldn’t be the first time. Occupy Wall Street, Women’s Lib in the 60s, …

I don’t think that should stop us doing our best for the environment.

Absolutely. We just need to keep our wits about us because if the fat cats have their say, they’ll make us pay for it via some Eco Tax like Yiannis mentioned and we’ll just roll over and shrug and pay up because we’ve been told it’s “for the good of the planet”. Like the way they significantly hiked UK car tax for anyone who owns 2017+ vehicles that are not fully-electric.

Responsibility for the environment starts with us – consumers – and changing little habits en masse can, and does, make a difference. The best thing we can do is keep piling on the pressure to stop the corporations and politicians getting away with it. An example: pre-packaged supermarket “deals” on produce such as veg create tonnes of waste because if one carrot rots in the bag, the rest are unsalable and are thrown away.

Solution: don’t buy it like that. Bag it yourself by rummaging in the loose stuff. Visit the greengrocer. The butcher. Shop local if possible from people with a more ethical outlook. When demand for pre-packaged stuff drops, so does supply. If everyone did it from tomorrow, the results would be massively disruptive to the supermarket supply chain and they’d have no choice but to sell more loose stuff or risk throwing their precious money away on things people won’t buy, or lose customers.

How many times have you been to a shop and not found something you’ve previously bought, asked and been told “there’s no demand for that so we stopped selling it”? It happens a lot. So I say create that demand vacuum by making one tiny change.

Then another.

And another.

And with each tiny change, we gradually take back the power and are more in control of our environment. It ripples up the chain. No pre-packaged veg = no need for manufacturing as much plastic wrap and tags and labels, which creates less waste, creates less burning of fossil fuels to recycle it, less landfill, less risk of polluting the oceans, and so forth.

So if the climate justice movement seeks anything, it should not be to wait for those at the top to change. The corporations and politicians and banks won’t do a thing that’s not in their own interest – regardless of political affiliation – all the time we’re lining their pockets. It should seek to mobilise those that hold the true power, us, into making changes that tip the balance in the planet’s favour.

EDIT: See Little Changes by Frank Turner and also Be More Kind

Last edited by Bloke (2019-09-24 13:01:42)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2019-09-24 16:02:01

Destry
Website

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#24 2019-09-24 17:39:51

Destry
Website

I think I found a new writer to follow in Mr. Hedges, there. He pretty much hit it all on the head as far as I’m concerned, if lacking some references for a finishing touch, but it is an opinion piece, after all.

I was going to drop another doom bomb of my own, but I’ll just tack some more food for thought on this piece out of Hedges’ article:

The mathematical models for the future of the planet have three devastating trajectories: a massive die-off of perhaps 70 percent of the human population and then an uneasy stabilization; extinction of humans and most other species; an immediate and radical reconfiguration of human society to protect the biosphere and make it more diverse and productive. This third scenario, which most scientists admit is unlikely, is dependent on a halt to the production and consumption of fossil fuels, converting to a plant-based diet to destroy the animal agriculture industry—almost as large a contributor to greenhouse gases as the fossil fuel industry—and greening the deserts and restoring rainforests. We know what we have to do if our children are to have a future. The only question left is how do we empower leaders who will save us.

I don’t have an answer to his unanswerable enquiry, but I do offer more discouraging news, sorry, or a frustrating catch-22, if you prefer… Human society is now so dependent on fossil energy that even if we could kick the habit yesterday, society would collapse in an instant because there is no viable alternative available to support society’s current energy demands. (You will recall Kingsnorth pointed out the same thing in his interview/documentary.) We’re a species that is currently several billion too-many to survive without fossil energy. And our numbers are expected to increase another 4 billion in the span of one human lifetime.

And now the punchline, courtesy of Professor Aled Jones, Global Sustainability Institute, in Section 1 of the ISSA report, Climate Change and Natural Resource Scarcity (Oct 2014), where he’s talking about fossil energy availability: ‘. . . assuming an increase in future consumption based on [continuing] trends (over past 20 yrs there has been an average annual increase in consumption of ~1% for oil, ~2% for gas and ~2.5% for coal) . . . oil will run out in 41 years, gas in 38 years and coal in 53 years.

It would be useful to have some more recent numbers on that, considering the US has been very busy fracking the world up. Then again, all that fracking might be due to those numbers being more or less accurate and the US is stock piling.

Whatever the case, which of Hedges’ reported three models does that situation suggest?

#25 2019-09-24 19:28:53

zero
Website

Destry wrote #319398:

Whatever the case, which of Hedges’ reported three models does that situation suggest?

The third. They’ll continue with chemtrails, 5G, smartmeters, austerity programs and media brainwashing until there’s only the rulers left. They’ll eat and drink organic foods from their carefully protected non-GM fields (anybody know where they are located?), close all the corporations, super markets and industrial farming because they know how bad they are and won’t need them any more because they’ll all have enough land to live well with all the best farming practices they are keeping quiet about in order to keep us quiet.

I read somewhere that the population will peak at 11 billion in not many years’ time, btw. Then deaths will be more than births for a long time after that.

#26 2019-09-24 21:31:56

Destry
Website

Someone just shared this 2019 BP statistical review of world energy with me in the f’verse in response to my enquiry about more recent fossil energy rates/limits. It doesn’t talk about ‘run out’ amounts or dates, that I can find, but it makes it pretty clear that consumption rates have skyrocketed, as well this confirmation that I already knew from when the 415.26 ppm atmospheric CO2 concentration was reported last June: ‘Global primary energy consumption grew rapidly in 2018, led by natural gas and renewables. Nevertheless, carbon emissions rose at their highest rate for seven years.

When big oil admits bad news, you know it must be true, and really bad.

And this catches my eye right on the first page:

Decarbonizing the power sector while also meeting the rapidly expanding demand for power, particularly in the developing world, is perhaps the single most important challenge facing the global energy system over the next 20 years. Renewable energy has a vital role to play in meeting that challenge. But it is unlikely to be able to do so on its own. A variety of different technologies and fuels are likely to be required, including extensive coal-to-gas switching and the widespread deployment of carbon capture, use and storage (CCUS).

I’ve seen the CEO of Shell also talk strongly and favourably of Carbon Engineering’s ‘Direct Air Capture’ technology. All of big oil is on board with this converting coal to gas and recycling CO2 to gas. Microsoft has also endorsed it. Or rather, Bill Gates has. I’m pretty sure this is what governments will opt for and we’ll see this happening in the coming years.

Yes, it’s more of the same techno-economic B.S. that got us in this mess, and it will probably end up the same as Hedges’ models 1 or 2 eventually, regardless. Just buying a little more time to keep the industrial fires burning and making that cash, yo!

#27 2019-09-24 23:25:10

bici
Website

never heard of Hedges until this week. now this column

…. texted postive

#28 2019-09-25 08:32:28

Destry
Website

bici wrote #319404:

now this column

Nice find. Thank you!

This is spot on, and especially with regard to scientists and other expected thought leaders in the domain…

The gross error in all of this are all those who cannot countenance this conversation.’ — David Spratt

At this point in time, any softening, PR-filtering, or outright distorting of the grave threat just ahead of society is sabotage of life on Earth. It’s hard to believe that ‘scientists’ are still out there that can’t see the numbers from the fables. More likely they can’t afford to lose their jobs under the existing regime and act accordingly. The wrong accordingly.

#29 2019-09-25 09:16:56

zero
Website

bici wrote #319404:

never heard of Hedges until this week. now this column

It mentions hope (and Hope for the Future:) but that hope is not what I understand as hope. Hope from the mind is variable and useless. Hope from the heart is pure, strong, motivating, tenacious, patient, long-suffering, beautiful and inseparable from peace and love.

#30 2019-09-25 16:26:32

michaelkpate
Website

On the contrary, a candid investigation of these subjects, accompanied with a perfect readiness to adopt any theory, warranted by sound philosophy, may have a tendency to convince them, that in forming improbable and unfounded hypotheses, so far from enlarging the bounds of human science, they are contracting it; so far from promoting the improvement of the human mind, they are obstructing it: they are throwing us back again almost into the infancy of knowledge; and weakening the foundations of that mode of philosophising, under the auspices of which, science has of late made such rapid advances. The present rage for wide and unrestrained speculation, seems to be a kind of mental intoxication, arising, perhaps, from the great and unexpected discoveries which have been made of late years, in various branches of science. To men elate, and giddy with such successes, every thing appeared to be within the grasp of human powers; and, under this illusion, they confounded subjects where no real progress could be proved, with those, where the progress had been marked, certain, and acknowledged. Could they be persuaded to sober themselves with a little severe and chastized thinking, they would see, that the cause of truth, and of sound philosophy, cannot but suffer by substituting wild flights and unsupported assertions, for patient investigation, and well authenticated proofs. – Thomas Robert Malthus, An Essay on the Principle of Population, 1798

Board footer