Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2019-11-20 22:49:20

etc
Developer
Website

Re: Documentation: overview/orientation

Bloke wrote #320147:

When 4.8 rolls in, not only are we considering per-theme prefs and plugins, we’ve gone a bit further as Sections can have their own permlink schemes. Slightly OT, but this has interesting ramifications for anyone building URLs by hand in their Themes. If, for example, you as admin choose breadcrumb_title permlinks for a given Section, apply a theme where the Page/Form hard-codes /section/title links, then your resulting URL structure becomes inconsistent.

Actually, /section/title links should still work for all schemes, even messy.

Note to self: <txp:if_section permlink="section_title, breadcrumb_title"> ... </txp:if_section> ??

That could be handy! And why not <txp:permlink permlink="section_title" />..

#22 2019-11-20 22:57:17

Bloke
Developer
Website

etc wrote #320154:

/section/title links should still work for all schemes, even messy.

Yeah, they’ll work, it just presents inconsistencies in URL structure if ones that are generated by the tags use the permlink mode set in the Section but hard-coded ones in the theme, for example, use a fixed scheme. We should strive to ensure that people can use the tags as often as possible so they don’t have to resort to manually building links too often.

And why not <txp:permlink permlink="section_title" />

Oooh yeah, that too. I like that. Or is there another attribute we already have that can do the same job? I feel like it should be <txp:permlink scheme="..." /> but we don’t use that anywhere either I don’t think. type?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2019-11-20 23:11:33

etc
Developer
Website

etc wrote #320154:

And why not <txp:permlink permlink="section_title" />..

A source of confusion, on a second thought :-) The only universal modes being messy and section_title, other “permlinks” could stop working all of a sudden if they don’t match their sections scheme.

#24 2019-11-24 09:44:20

jakob
Admin
Website

I lost track of this thread while I was briefly out of town. Is someone already in the process of writing a tutorial, then?

As part of the textpattern.tips relaunch, I had envisaged doing an article series as a step-by-step tutorial that would walk through making a very simple but typical portfolio-type site (Phil has the blog site well covered already) with a few sections and templates and showcases basic concepts like section, categories, body/excerpt, custom fields, short tags, page template, forms, individual article and article list contexts and so on.

My idea was to show the path from idea to implementation, i.e. the process of taking a basic outline for a site, identifying content types and page blocks and taking that to code concentrating on the basic HTML structure without additional structured data or JSON-LD markup, which although excellent clouds the clarity of the code. There’d be a downloadable package to accompany it (e.g. on GitHub). I’m a visual person, so it would have pictures / diagrams. I was planning on a basic setup to start with, linking out to other tips where appropriate for more advanced situations. Maybe later tutorials could examine adding “additional features” to that.

I hadn’t imagined that being part of the official “docs”, or as an official theme, but rather as a walk-through for beginners on textpattern.tips as I’ve discovered that after pruning old tips that use dated/obsolete plugins, the number of articles on the site is severely reduced.

Is this duplicating efforts already begun? @Destry, maybe this is an opportunity for collaboration…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#25 2019-11-24 14:47:53

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #320239:

As part of the textpattern.tips relaunch, I had envisaged doing an article series as a step-by-step tutorial that would walk through making a very simple but typical portfolio-type site . . . I hadn’t imagined that being part of the official “docs”, or as an official theme, but rather as a walk-through for beginners on textpattern.tips

That’s a fantastic idea. The Tips site seems ideal for a multi-part series like that. Anything in the user docs should be a single document per topic, IMO.

Is this duplicating efforts already begun?

Not that I know of.

@Destry, maybe this is an opportunity for collaboration…

If I didn’t already have list of docs priorities, I’d be happy to collaborate on it. Maybe something in the future? I’d gladly give pages an editor review, though, when you’re done.

I don’t really talk about my undertakings in here, any more than necessary, because it’s out of focus and interest for most people. But for starters, I need to finish the documentation collaboration procedures and have that reviewed. As well finish up the editorial style guide, tackle the general themes creation walkthough (get the themes show on the road, you know), and various checklists tasks . Plus I’m going to look at pophelp at some point to see what can be honed and aligned better with user docs. I suspect more issues will materialize along the way.

I use the docs repo issues to manage everything, so that’s a good place to watch. I also use the Docs Team discussion board for specific writer/editor collaboration topics. That’s not public access, but it might be a place of interest for you to join. Bloke will hook you up. ;)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#26 2019-11-24 17:32:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Ok, thanks for clarifying. It was that mention of the themes walkthrough that made me wonder whether we were duplicating efforts, but I couldn’t find it earlier.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#27 2019-11-24 17:59:48

Destry
Website

All I’m expecting to do on that is expand a bit where the Themes panel doc falls short. Administration panel docs are meant to explain the functionality on the panels, not much more, and even themes stuff is a bit hazy for folks, I think, when it comes to hooking it up with other semantic pieces.

So the tutorial will elaborate the functionality a bit while, as phi13 put it, tie it to a ‘narrative’; something a little less abstract. Or maybe this will end up being new Themes panel doc content. I don’t know. We’re thinking about changing those pages up if it makes them more useful that way.

I certainly don’t intend to talk about building a specific site structure beyond the notion that it’s possible and what to take into account. In fact, what I have in mind might be the perfect lead to your series. We’d have these four entry points all linked up in a logical way for a theme-hunter’s journey:

1. docs: Themes panel (links to 2 and 4)
  2. docs tute: Create a theme (links to 1, 3, and 4)
  3. Tips: End-to-end portfolio tutorial (links to 1 and 4, at least)
  4. Themes website (all the above and it’s own material)

Maybe 2 moves to 4, eventually. Don’t know. I’m still unclear what the content plan for the themes site is. Off my radar, though.

I have plenty to work on already, so if you want to do your series first, and I wait and see what it is, maybe it’s enough and I don’t have to do something different at risk of being redundant.

I’ve started some paras already, and was hoping to have in a week or so, but let me know what you think.

Last edited by Destry (2019-11-24 20:56:36)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#28 2019-11-25 10:39:08

Destry
Website

In fact, I’m probably not the best person to be writing a theme tute since I’ve not really done it for the purposes of sharing one (only to hack a presentation to my needs). Several other people, however, like Phil, phiw13, Patrick, and even etc have (as witnessed by other forum threads). So if any one of you other ‘qualified’ souls, including Julian, can do that, by all means, free me of that task. ;)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#29 2019-11-25 20:58:07

WebmistressM

I think that it takes more than just one person to write good tutorials. I have been interested to see Text Pattern websites start to show more from the 4.8 side (the upcoming txpthemes site, and the documentation getting its update).

subscribing to this thread to follow along

Destry wrote #320251:

In fact, I’m probably not the best person to be writing a theme tute since I’ve not really done it for the purposes of sharing one (only to hack a presentation to my needs). Several other people, however, like Phil, phiw13, Patrick, and even etc have (as witnessed by other forum threads). So if any one of you other ‘qualified’ souls, including Julian, can do that, by all means, free me of that task. ;)

#30 2019-11-26 08:49:12

etc
Developer
Website

WebmistressM wrote #320257:

I think that it takes more than just one person to write good tutorials.

We are rarely more than five persons to do all the work. Help welcome :-)

Board footer